Do you report bad adult behavior?

Karysa

Usually I'm so laid back on a cruise it would take a lot to get me to say much to anyone. The "offense" would have to be pretty direct.

To answer what seems to be the heart of your question;yes I might be more likely to say something to a child than to an adult. Kids, being kids, sometimes forget where they are and how they should be behaving. I have seen a gentle reminder , even from a stanger, be effective.

Adults who behave badly, are making a choice and I doubt they'd benefit from or appreciate correction.

Hope that answers your question.

Just a question, are any of the things mentioned in the original post actually against Carnival's rules? I'm a little fuzzy on the "seat saving", but I don't see how you could possibly report someone for cutting in line, or making snarky comments about your kids.

If you wanted to make snarky comments back, you could. I normally wouldn't (unless I quickly thought of a really funny one ;) ). I think part of being on a ship with 3000 other people is occasionally having to deal with them, for better and worse. Not much different that any resort, or even at the grocery store for that matter.

I love vacation and it is the time to relax and recharge so letting the little things go is the best approach probably and everyone has different opinions as to what is rude behavior. If my children do something that is not as thoughtful as I would like I explain how they could improve the next time but if it is DH we just have a running joke as to how our parents have failed us.

Karysa

Usually I'm so laid back on a cruise it would take a lot to get me to say much to anyone. The "offense" would have to be pretty direct.

To answer what seems to be the heart of your question;yes I might be more likely to say something to a child than to an adult. Kids, being kids, sometimes forget where they are and how they should be behaving. I have seen a gentle reminder , even from a stanger, be effective.

Adults who behave badly, are making a choice and I doubt they'd benefit from or appreciate correction.

Hope that answers your question.

Well they say "children are our future" and my goal is to raise children that I think make the world a better place. So maybe you have something there, children are a work in progress so to speak. Thanks for your reply.

Karysa

To me the answer would have to be "It depends".

• To seat saving in the theatre, cutting in line, rude behavior in general - no.
  • To someone (any age) throwing deck chairs overboard, smashing dishes in the buffet, trying to walk the railing like a tightrope, etc. - Yes

It all depends upon if what they are doing is a danger to me, the ship, someone else or themselves.

I don't usually make a comment to an adult or another person's child unless they are directly doing something offensive to me or mine.

I do however use other's bad behavior as learning opportunities for my kids. So, if we were at the buffet line and someone cut in front of us (most likely my son would point it out anyway), I explain to them that this is not ok and they there would be consequences if they behaved this way. Of course, at 3 and 4 they don't go to the buffet line alone anyhow, but apparently they look like good targets for cutting in front of and reaching over..... When that happens, since my children are usually placed between my husband and myself in line. I will say something, because I want to keep us together.

It's pretty amazing the 'excuses' I've heard for their cutting too.

I don't usually make a comment to an adult or another person's child unless they are directly doing something offensive to me or mine.

I do however use other's bad behavior as learning opportunities for my kids. So, if we were at the buffet line and someone cut in front of us (most likely my son would point it out anyway), I explain to them that this is not ok and they there would be consequences if they behaved this way. Of course, at 3 and 4 they don't go to the buffet line alone anyhow, but apparently they look like good targets for cutting in front of and reaching over..... When that happens, since my children are usually placed between my husband and myself in line. I will say something, because I want to keep us together.

It's pretty amazing the 'excuses' I've heard for their cutting too.

That sounds very much like the way I would handle things. You can never let a good teaching opportunity pass you by.

Karysa

If my children do something that is not as thoughtful as I would like I explain how they could improve the next time but if it is DH we just have a running joke as to how our parents have failed us.

It's a DH's prerogative to occasionally do things that make our DW's cringe, with that look on their faces like: What was I thinking when I said "I do"?! :)

Some of us choose to exercise that prerogative less than others, but seriously it's in The Handbook! (Chapter 37, page 52. Right after the section on how to buy tampons with dignity)

It's a DH's prerogative to occasionally do things that make our DW's cringe, with that look on their faces like: What was I thinking when I said "I do"?! :)

Some of us choose to exercise that prerogative less than others, but seriously it's in The Handbook! (Chapter 37, page 52. Right after the section on how to buy tampons with dignity)

I need to know how I can get my hands on that Handbook!

Karysa

I need to know how I can get my hands on that Handbook!

Sorry, wouldn't do you any good. It's like the secret map of Hogwarts in Harry Potter. It can only be read by someone who intends to use it for no good :)

Just ask your DH though. He'll be glad to clarify any rules as he thinks of them as he consults The Handbook.

Sorry, wouldn't do you any good. It's like the secret map of Hogwarts in Harry Potter. It can only be read by someone who intends to use it for no good :)

Just ask your DH though. He'll be glad to clarify any rules as he thinks of them as he consults The Handbook.

Thanks, this is just what I needed today.:)

Karysa

Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work. :o

Is there something in there that tell's you how to be immune from 'the look' too? It seem so to work on the kids, but less so on DH. :rolleyes:

I have never been on a cruise - so I'm speaking from a different perspective, but I think it's different when an adult is acting up on a cruise ship than in "real life" because you're stuck on the ship with that person. If someone cuts you off in traffic, you might be mad, but you'll probably never see that person again. If someone is a perpetual cutter in lines at the buffet on your cruise, though, they're treating everyone behind them like their own time is more important than everyone elses. Very selfish and rude.

My hubby, who has cruised before, doesn't put up with it. If he goes to the pool in the morning and there are 2 people in it, but every chair has a towel on it, he will ask the 2 people "is this your towel?", and if not, remove it and sit down.

At the theatre, he once approached a lady saving 12 seats, and just sat down. She made a fuss, saying she was "saving the seats", and my hubby said, "I'm sorry, there's no assigned seats, the usher just told me that I could sit anywhere. Please see him if you have questions." And then didn't budge.

Of course, my hubby is an army major, 6'3", 210lbs, an attorney, and no one messes with him ever. LOL

Still, I'm pretty mouthy and while I would look the other way for minor things like eye-rolling or cutting in the buffet line once and briefly, if someone was really being a jerk, I'd assert my own rights.

As far as kids, they would have to be doing something that actually put someone in danger before I would report them. But, if they were putting themselves or someone else in danger, I would definitely say something to the parent or a crew member. This is my policy in "real life" too.

Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work. :o

Is there something in there that tell's you how to be immune from 'the look' too? It seem so to work on the kids, but less so on DH. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, what was the question again?

(Chapter 48 - Page 17)

Only on 1 cruise did I find a problem with the people who saved deck chairs. The Star Princess, Caribbean. So on one of our days at sea, I shared a chair with my sister & my niece next to us. We took turns laying back while the other went to the bathroom, into the pool, or to grab a drink. After about 2 hours of this, none of the people in the roughly 5 loungers next to us had appeared even once. So.....the stuff in the chair I wanted went to the chair next. We were there at least another 2 hours, mingling pool dipping with potty breaks, standing by the rail, watching the Lido games, and never did see anyone once approach those chairs. Some people are just plain rude and selfish whether on land, sea or in the air (especially in the air).

Cutting in line at the buffet....that's another issue. If there's a line at the first table, but the subsequent tables are fairly empty of guests, I think it's perfectly fine to grab a plate & dive in, working your way around but never cutting. To me, it's ridiculous when the line at the first table gets lengthy and virtually no one is at the later tables. I don't think that's how buffets are supposed to be.....

We were on the Triumph last August. There was a real low class guy traveling with of all things a church group who would come into the dining room drunk and spend his time there talking loudly and cursing about everything under the sun.

Additionally he was very abusive to our waiter who was doing everything he could to please him.

The waiter -- who was one of the best we have ever had -- was practically in tears that he would be disciplined because of this loud drunken lout complaining about his service.

We (as well as others I found out later) complained to the Maiter'd following our meal. He took care of the problem immediately. The food and meal service on the Triumph was really great -- and I attribute the restaurant service in part to our Maiter'd, who was always on the scene, hovering, and directing his troops both in the restaurant and on Lido Deck earlier in the day:cool: . I commended him and tipped him handsomely for his fine service throughout the week.

I've had a boy in line in front of me try to get five people in with him. I told them, despite the fact that they didn't seem to speak English, that they had to go to the back of the line. I knew enough Spanish to get my point across. ;)

We had been standing in a line in the hot sun waiting to get back on the tender for the Imagination in Grand Cayman for about 20 minutes. When we got very near the front 2 guys and 2 gals ran up and were about to break in front of the line and my hubby (6'2" 240) and 3 other guys similarly sized said very calmly, "Not this time buddy, back of the line." I think that bullies get away with being bullies because no one will stand up to them. Typically, if someone does, they themselves will back down because most are all bark and no bite. In this case we were shot "go to hell" looks but to the back of the line they all went.

I don't tolerate rude manners from anyone, children or adults alike, though am more tolerant of ignorance in children, as they are apples from the ignorance tree called their parents. Adults, I show no mercy. I'm sorry if you don't know any better, doesn't mean I have to cave to your stupidity.

The answer is:

There is no way.

Please understand I share this with you at great personal risk of breaking the Man code, but I believe this will save men around the world from this most horrid task. :rolleyes:

Archived