Question about Dawn in October

PattiCake

My DH and I are interested in taking the Dawn to Florida/Bahamas in October.

I have a few questions if you could be so kind to help me:

How's the weather down there in Oct? Hurricanes?

How's the ship? Nice?

How's the food? I've never done freestyle cruising before. Is the cost of the food included?

On the NCL website they quoted a price of 849 for a balcony room. Is this good? Where is a good deck to have a balcony?

My husband and I are in our late thirties. We've been on Carnival together and I've been on Celebrity to Bermuda.

Thanks.

We were on that itinerary last year (last week in Sept into October) and the weather was fine. It's at the very end of the hurricane season. The temps were generally in the 80's everywhere we stopped.

The Dawn is a beautiful ship. Nice lounges, dining areas, etc. The pool supposedly is a bit small, but there is an indoor pool in the spa also. We had no lack of things to do.

Yes, the cost of the food is included and we found it to be quite satisfactory. There are three main dining rooms (Venitian, Aqua, Impressions), a large buffet, a Tex-Mex restaurant, an Italian-themed restaurant (these two for dinner only), and a 24 hour fast food place (Blue Lagoon) that are all included in the cruise fare. There are three pay extra places (somewhere around $15) - LeBistro, Cagney's Steak House, an asian/teppanyaki/sushi place. In addition, there are barbecues on the pool deck in the afternoon, hot dogs and chicken in one of the bars at the rear of the ship, and fish and chips in the Pearly King's Pub. Oh yes, and 24 room service.

With freestyle dining you just decide where and when you want to eat and show up. Depending on the time, you may have to wait since it is first come, first served. You can choose to sit alone, but they might ask if you want to join others - your choice. Not everyone likes it, but it was perfect for us.

That price seems good for a balcony. We were on deck 11 but I don't think there is a bad deck with a balcony - at that price it may be an obstructed view. I'd check on that.

Archived