Older teens hints (kinda long)

kanigeta

I had a 17 & 19 year old on an 11 day cruise. So, while you're standing in the line at check-in (airport and ship) take that time to discreetly discuss others in any line you see, and how frail the other passengers might be, how easily they might fall off balance if bumped, etc. Don't laugh while you're talking to your teen, it's not funny. It's serious. So when he laughs, bring him back. Remind him about opening doors, flashing those eyes, being generally delightful to the older population. Things you have already taught your teens but they need a quick refresher.

Have the talk about how they might run across folks who have drank wayyyyy too much and are ripe to fall overboard (so don't bump them & even maybe help when it's apparently needed), those that will try to jump in bed with them, or will try to get them to drink with them. With your help, gentle guidance and reminders, they'll do just fine and have a ball.

Once on board, be sure to point out where the phones are (all over the place although teens don't notice that kind of thing since they have been plugged in for so long) that can connect them to your room or to staff. Show them how cruise staff are all over the place & they can approach any one to say "I'm uncomfortable with "x" right over there" or "I need someone to walk me to my cabin because "x" is following me"). But explain to your kids that not all cruise staff will understand and that they simply must go to the next one or ask for one speaking their language.

Tell your kids not to drink things they didn't see opened, or didn't see mixed (if they are having the "non-alcoholic" drink of the day, it'll be blended; they need to understand they should be watching their drinks being mixed).

We were able to use our cell phones to IM each other for free while on board some of the time (and in certain ports) whenever we had service (I recommend calling your cell provider not just once, but twice to confirm). IMing for free was great! My kids & I have actually saved several of these messages on our phones because when we look at them we can't help but remember & smile big! And we still will repeat certain messages to each other just to get a smile/laugh....like "we're meeting at "x" for dinner at 7:30" which we'll do quite often even though we're all in different cities now. We know we'll make each other smile a certain smile that we can picture when we hit "send".

Be sure your son/daughter knows that NO MATTER WHAT he/she is not to accompany anyone older (within reason, going back to those talks you've already had) to their cabin w/o letting you know where they are going. But....it'll happen - they'll meet new friends and they'll want to play video's, watch movies, see the balcony, order pizza & brownies from room service, or....drink from the parent's private bar. But if you and your teen have all the talks ahead then you'll be pretty darn sure they'll make the right decisions. Make sure they know how to check in every "x" number of hours. I made it a point to make sure I met the "cruise" kids & if possible their parents and I found it wasn't so hard.

On our 1st of 5 days at sea (maybe day 7), I told my kids that they could entertain anytime in our cabin. I did that knowing I didn't have alcohol in the cabin and knowing my kids felt safest in their own environment. So the teen party was usually in our cabin but was also pretty darn innocent with many teens at any one time. That made me more comfortable. No neighbors ever complained.

We were travelling with grand & great grandparents, and we also had certain set times of day and places where anyone of us could wander by & probably catch up with each other. That was really helpful to my kids (to us all actually). They knew that every couple hours they could stroll by "x" area and probably find someone they knew who knew where someone else was and what "the plan" was. It quickly got to be that the "cruise kids" also knew these place & times and would be happy to chat with any of us that were there. Teens love cruising and they show off their best! My kids and most of their friends loved joining each other for formal lunches, and sometimes even dinners. Teens are no dummy's! They know how to get their parents' $$ worth.

I think cruising with your kid(s) is a life long lesson & a memory none will forget. I'd recommend it to anyone and, although my kids are too young (in my mind) to have kids, I seriously can't wait to introduce my grandkids to cruising. And to give my kids a nice vacation with the flexibility of cruising with babies. I wish someone would have introduced me.......I'd be on cruise #15 instead of #5.

That was great! Thanks for posting it. I am taking my 11 and 13 year old kids on their first cruise in October, and we have already started to discuss some of these kinds of things.

As it's been said before however, the parents of the kids who really need to read this, will be thinking that it doesn't apply to them!

• 3 weeks later...

What a pleasure to read and know that there are other people out there in the world who teach their kids street smarts, courtesy and good values. I have 16 yr old daughter and we are travelling wiht her and her 16 yrd old friend and they are good kids too.

This will be a great tool to open up the communication lines and show them we're not the only parents who are protective without being over protective.

Thanks.

That was great! Thanks for posting it. I am taking my 11 and 13 year old kids on their first cruise in October, and we have already started to discuss some of these kinds of things.

As it's been said before however, the parents of the kids who really need to read this, will be thinking that it doesn't apply to them!

Excellent post!! Being from NY originally, Ive been teaching and reinforcing the same things you mentioned for being on land! It is GREAT to talk about it again when you're sailing but I agree with what jazzdog said.....

I couldnt have said it better myself, it is the parents who need to read this that think it isnt for them! So true jazzdog lol

Our kids know how to behave in different situations. They LOVE cruising, they even love getting dressed up for formal nights. They definitely appreciate cruising! They will be 15 & 19 on our next sail and have bene sailing since they were 9 & 13.

• 1 month later...

I am alway reminding my daughter of all the dangers (leaving drink unattened, locking car door, etc). I alway get the rolling of the eyes and the "I know, I know how many times do you have to tell me".

Hopefully, she is listening.

Archived