August 1 Crown Princess Review Part I

Tom S

August 1 Crown Princess Cruise Review Part I

I am writing from my aft deck (B756) as we progress from Bermuda to San Juan. I am enjoying the gorgeous view and working on my anniversary package bottle of Champaign. So if this note gets a bit fuzzy blame it on the booze.

New York:

Don’t overlook New York as an important part of your vacation. It has turned out to be one of our highlights so far.

Time Square was cleaner and more tourist friendly than I remember it being 20 years ago. We found so much to see that we are hoping to go back someday for a separate vacation. We really enjoyed the New York Fun Tour. Very knowledgeable guide on a clean, air conditioned bus that hit all the Manhattan points as well as taking us on the Stratton Island Ferry.

We had dinner at the Rainbow Grill on top of the Rock. The $60.00 pp pre-show dinner was, for Manhattan, a great deal. It gave us a beautiful view of the city and a delicious meal. Le Miz on Broadway was pretty special

My DW dragged me out of bed kicking and screaming early in the morning to attend the Today Show taping. As usual she was right. We shook hands with and got great pictures of Meredith, Al, Matt and the gang. Each one could not have been more gracious with their time. The goofy sign dw made got us interviewed for our ten seconds of fame on national TV. Get there about an hour before the show and you should be able to get a good place to see. They all made a point to come around and say hello.

Embarkment

A twenty five minute cab ride ($40.00 including $8.00 tip) got us from Time Square to the Bronx Port at noon with no hassle at all. Getting on the ship was even easier. I checked my watch and we were in our cabins within 17 minutes of stepping out of the cab.

Cabin

We found a clean and comfortable room with a beautiful aft view from our balcony. As noted in the forums (which I found after booking this cabin) the adjacent air conditioning unit is loud. We have gotten used to it and spend a lot of time on the balcony just staring at the view or reading a novel. However, we probably will not have the balcony dinner due to difficulty in having the quiet conversations we enjoy at dinner.

Our first Mistake on Board

On the first night we wandered into the Crown Grill and had maybe the best dining experience of our lives. Our waiter doted over us and the food was spectacular. The problem now is that despite the terrific service and food that we have enjoyed at both of the anytime dining venues, none will ever compare to Crown. It might have been better to lead up to the Crown Grill We are going to Sabatinis tonight and will share our thoughts later. The second night was formal night and I was impressed that the overwhelming majority of cruisers were formally dressed. It was quite a night.

San Juan

It was raining in the morning, but that was no obstacle since we followed the advice on the Boards by packing our $4.00 fold up ponchos. A few hours later, the weather cleared and we had an absolute blast on our Segway tour. Everyone in our group picked it up quickly and it is a great way to get around.

We knew in advance that Bermuda was celebrating their independence day and all shops would be closed, so we did not venture outside of the Royal Navy Dock Yard.

Favorites to date:

• Crown Grill (see above)
  • Andres Fernandez: My DW almost had a bladder emergency from laughing so hard at this truly talented comedian He is a must see.
  • Segway tour (see above)
  • Sunset at Adagio with DW
  • Chicken salad, chocolate cakes and just about everything else that they serve at the International Café (IMHO I would stay away from the cafeteria and eat lunch everyday at the International Café or the dining room.)
  • Apple Martini from Crooners
  • Matai from Explorer’s Lounge
  • Afternoon naps with DW
  • Reading my novel one morning at Sky Walkers on top of the ship with floor to ceiling windows for a picturesque view.
  • Watching the talented and not so talented Karaoke and Princess Idle singers
  • I know it might sound hokey, but the 70s party they threw was a lot of fun.
  • Fast wireless internet availability in any public room on the 7th floor (for a fee). There is an outlet to plug in your laptop against the wall across from the entrance to the Explorer’s lounge. Staff said there was none on this floor, but I knew they had to plug in the vacuums somewhere..
  • Sunset on balcony with DW
  • Bloody Mary from club fusion. DW has adopted the aft pool and contends that her bar makes the better Bloody Mary. We have decided to perform further testing.

Closing thoughts

Thank you to past contributors for helping make our twentieth anniversary cruise more enjoyable. The practical tips that we are now appreciating include the pop up hamper, yellow highlighter for the Patter, colored ribbons on our suit cases to distinguish ours from the hundreds of black luggage, and the fold up ponchos that saved us in San Juan. The best advice that I received on the Boards that I use regularly is to ignore the whiners and enjoy ourselves on this wonderful ship

Thank you for such an upbeat "live from" review of the Crown so far. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying yourselves so much...and as a former NYer glad to hear you had such a fabulous time in NYC. Yes, the Crown is a wonderful ship and if you are fortunate enough to have a balcony cabin it's sheer bliss sitting out and just enjoying the sights and sounds of the sea.

Look forward to hearing more. Thanks again.

thanks for the updates... say hi to Robinson in Crooners he is great... please tell him John & Steve from July say hi... make sure you stop in there around 11pm on your last nite, a few members of the band stop by and play with the piano player, they were amazing.

Wow, what a wonderful "so far on the Crown" reveiw, really enjoyed it. I can not wait to hear which you enjoy better Sabitinis or Crown grill. We will be aboard 8/19 and would just like to try one, and I can not make my mind up.

Thank you for taking the time to post!

Enjoy and hope you have wonderful weather.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Thank you for taking us along with you. We got off as you got on. I know what you mean about the Crown Grill, we did it twice and probably would have done it more if we had gone earlier. If you liked the Apple Martini at Crooners, try the Chocolate Nuttini, YUM! Also, don't forget the Tiramisu Martini in Adaggio, not much alcohol, but WOW! Enjoy!

My DW dragged me out of bed kicking and screaming early in the morning to attend the Today Show taping. As usual she was right. We shook hands with and got great pictures of Meredith, Al, Matt and the gang. Each one could not have been more gracious with their time. The goofy sign dw made got us interviewed for our ten seconds of fame on national TV. Get there about an hour before the show and you should be able to get a good place to see. They all made a point to come around and say hello.

Did you go to Dean & Delucas to grab something to eat? They have the best deli food ever.

Have a great cruise and update us as you go on.

I do have one question - did the cab driver know how to get you to the Brooklyn terminal or did you need to give him directions? This is a big problem in NY - many cabs don't know where the Red Hook terminal is or don't know how to get to it.

Sabatinis was super, but Crown Grill wins hands down

Crooners is up there as best Apple Tini. I will look for Robinson

Cabbie did not know where he was going. I got directions from Crown WEB page and made him follow them.

No WiFi on Balcony. Wrote it in Word on the balcony and took it down to the Bar and signed right on

Segway tour was awsome. Booked through the ship well in advance. It sold out quick so sign up right now. You won't regret it.

Don't know what I spent at Crown Grill, but absolutely worth the 20 or 25 per person.

One note on San Juan today. Would not do the Baccari tour again. Way too long lines. Had more fun with the yards at Sr. Frog.

Thanks so much for your "time on board" review. It's very thoughtful and a good way to remember everything. My trip on the Crown isn't until October, so I'm living vicariously through all of these great reviews :)

Happy Anniversary:p

Not seeing a Seway tour listed in the excursions in San Juan. I did find one privately with "Segway tours of Puerto Rico" $70 for 2 hours $35 for a 45 minute tour of fortes. Was this the same company you used?

Thanks sounds like you are having a great time enjoy!

Tom S - thanks for posting!!!:)

CMM- I think Tom meant the tour in Bermuda even though he wrote San Juan. The ship had not yet been to San Juan on the day he wrote that post, 8/4. The ship was there yesterday Sunday. 8/5. He also said in the original post under San Juan about Bermuda's Independence Day. There is a Segway tour in Bermuda. Hope this helps!!

Archived