Your childs' personality ~ how did it affect your cruise experience?

bewitchedwitch

We have two daughters ages 1 and 4. Our 4 year old is very calm and laid back, will play by herself or watch tv for hours, if necessary and is easy to please. Our 1 year old is the complete opposite though. She could care less about tv and is a wild child, overall that just cannot sit still for too long and has to be entertained all the time.

We will be on a cruise in November and I'm starting to wonder how it will go with our daughters personalities. Of course our 4 year old will spend some time in Camp Carnival, but either way, I'm not worried about her. What worries me is my little wild baby and how her personality will affect our cruise.

So, if you've already taken your child/children on a cruise, how was it?

I leave next Sunday and I am wondering the same thing. I have a DS 2 and DS 6. Six year old is calm like your oldest and two year old started having tamtrums a couple months ago when he doesn't get his way! I'm nervous although he only tantrums for us, he won't do it at the kid's club. I'm going to make sure he is fed and rested at all times so he doesn't get moody. If he does start to melt down it's back to the room for us! At least until he calms down. I just hope our neighbors aren't in their rooms when he gets this way or he will disturb them. Don't flame me and tell me I shouldn't take a 2 year old on a cruise, he never had tantrums when I booked it and I had no intention on canceling. I know people on this thread are usually very nice and supportive but there could always be a lurker out there waiting to shove their opinion down my throat.

When my son was in the 1-3 age range, he would have his good days and bad days. We could take him to dinner at a restaurant and he would be the "heavenly perfection" and a week later would be the "demon seed"!!

On one vacation, he was "perfect"..on another a pain in the arse!!

Even as adults, we all have our good and bad days!

My son is now 28 and can still be "difficult."!!

Enjoy it...the good and fun times will outweigh the bad.!

Our little man can be an angel or a devil. I just roll with the punches and not stress too much. He is an angel at nursery, no bother ever, but for me he can be a swine. Just do what you have to do and don't worry about what others think. If you need to head back to your room then so be it, if you can take him to the restaurant then do, if it has to be room service then go for it. It won't affect your cruise at all if you go with the flow. You're going to have a ball!

I have a 5 and 2 year old, my 5 year old throws tantrums worse then the 2 year old at at times.

For the most part they did well, but they did have issues now and then, just like they do at home. Just went with it and everything was good

I am the one with the 3 year old that almost got kicked out of Adventure Ocean for playing on a slide and not wanting to do crafts. ;)

RCCL and Celebrity have a 3 strikes and your out policy. So I got a quick lesson in the strike policy when we were on Freedom. (Yes, we just ran into an over zealous camp counselor who had no business being around children...Gabriella was welcomed back into adventure ocean)

My 7 year old is the exact opposite.

So yes, I have a good child and a wild child too. I just roll with the punches. And I try to keep a good humor about it. :rolleyes:

I am the one with the 3 year old that almost got kicked out of Adventure Ocean for playing on a slide and not wanting to do crafts. ;)

RCCL and Celebrity have a 3 strikes and your out policy. So I got a quick lesson in the strike policy when we were on Freedom. (Yes, we just ran into an over zealous camp counselor who had no business being around children...Gabriella was welcomed back into adventure ocean)

My 7 year old is the exact opposite.

So yes, I have a good child and a wild child too. I just roll with the punches. And I try to keep a good humor about it. :rolleyes:

Michele,

Not to get off topic, but has anyone ever told you that you look like Rachael Ray?

Hi everyone! I was really worried about my 4yr old girl on my first cruise. But I found it amazing how the cruise brought out aspects of her personality that I never knew she had! :) She loved going to the kid's club and I soon realised she was a very popular member as at the "kids disco" everyone wanted to dance with her and take photos with her. Then we were invited to the "kids show" at the end of the cruise and she stood on stage and sung a solo...well it was a nursery rhyme *lol* but I was very proud! It was so cute she ended up being on a local Aussie TV show that was filming on board during our cruise.

I've just found- whenever I holiday with the kiddies it's super important to keep their meal times regular (as many of you have said). When the hubby and I holiday together we can eat at all strange hours but kids just can't handle it without chucking a na-na:eek: even the best behaved children!

I'd always grab a banana/cookie or two from the breakky buffet and put them in my bag for shore trips or inbetween meals. It worked for me!;)

My DDs are different in personality (7 y.o. is shy at first and usually listens, 5 y.o. is an entertainer/social butterfly and a wild child) but on our first cruise last year they both did really well. Maybe the change of environment (never been on a ship) helped to distract them. Maybe being in seperate AO clubs, due to their ages. Our first cruise I had them eat with us at the Main Seating, but this upcoming cruise we will have them eat either at Windjammers with us earlier (and DH and I will have a Late Seating while they are in AO) or eat with AO if it is available and the DDs want to.

You know, my "wild child" does much better when she is one on one with me and her older sister is elsewhere (like school). You might find your 1 y.o. behavior might smooth out when your 4 y.o. is in AO. Just a thought.

Bring some little distracting toys and dole them out one by one.

Have a great cruise!!

Archived