Heathrow or Gatwick?

mzznlink

We've booked our first trans-atlantic cruise on the QE2's April 12th voyage, now we have to let the TA know which airport we wish to fly out of for the return trip.

Any recommendations? We'll be coming back to JFK if that makes a difference.

We've booked our first trans-atlantic cruise on the QE2's April 12th voyage, now we have to let the TA know which airport we wish to fly out of for the return trip.

Neither will be fun, but Heathrow is worse.

You need to factor transfers into the equation - Cunard might offer one which might well make a difference.

Otherwise I'd let price dictate.

Matthew

Neither will be fun, but Heathrow is worse.

You need to factor transfers into the equation - Cunard might offer one which might well make a difference.

Otherwise I'd let price dictate.

Matthew

The price is the same for either one. Since we might be staying a day or two for site seeing I'll have to see about transfers.

It all depends on which scenario you prefer:

A. Heathrow is in the city and very convenient to get to but is extremely busy

or

B. Gatwick will require transportation outside of London (by train or a 30 minute cab ride) and is still busy but not like the more popular Heathrow. Gatwick might not be the best choice if you have an early flight time either as you never know what will occur during debarkation.

Personally, I fly in and out of Gatwick

Only Delta has nonstop service to JFK from Gatwick.. everything else is connecting service.. or worse.. double connections.

If you are doing Cunard air..their preferred carrier is Virgin Atlantic... which is nonstop from Heathrow to JFK

Since you are coming in on the QE2.....to Southampton.......Gatwick is closer and more convenient.....I would go with Gatwick.

The price is the same for either one. Since we might be staying a day or two for site seeing I'll have to see about transfers.

If you are staying for a day or two afterwards you can choose either. Both can be accessed by coach (cheap), Taxi (expensive) or train (15 minutes to Heathrow, 30 to Gatwick) from Central London. You can also take the cheap (but convenient if you have not got too much luggage) Underground to Heathrow.

As has been pointed out, only Delta fly direct to JFK - but Continental also fly from Gatwick to Newark. From Heathrow American, British and Virgin all fly to JFK and Newark for BA/Virgin.

For transfers onwards from Southampton, Taxi to Station, Train to London will be a lot cheaper than a Cunard transfer, and as long as your luggage is manageable should not be a problem. If you have more baggage a private car transfer might be an option - if you search this board you will find references.

Peter

Archived