*Flip-Flops at the Airport*

*IslandHopper*

I was just recently at BWI airport and saw over 1/2 of the people there with flip- flops or slide on shoes. I know it's summer, but I think people are doing this because we have to take off our shoes at security.

• I was just wondering if you are doing or have done the same.

It seems to make things go easier when at security.

• Have you done this in the winter time?

sign0092.gif

in advance!

I was just recently at BWI airport and saw over 1/2 of the people there with flip- flops or slide on shoes. I know it's summer, but I think people are doing this because we have to take off our shoes at security.

sign0092.gif

in advance!

Hubby still wears his cowboy boots!!!

I do try to wear a shoe that will slip on and off easily. And yes, it is because of the regulations.

sign0092.gif

in advance!

I wore flipflops to BWI and Philly's airport when we were on our way to the Miracle in 2005. I didn't do it because of security though. In the summer all I wear are flip flops.

I don't wear flip flops when I fly although I do sometimes wear them. I usually wear my tennis shoes unless I have to travel in business attire. Is it slightly more trouble to take them off? Yes but I always have time to untie them while I'm waiting in the security line and when I get through screening, I grab them along with my carry-ons and laptop. One of the reasons I don't wear flip flops is that I want something that is comfortable for me to walk in (some air ports have a lot of walking) and also that I will be able to run in if somehow my safe hour connection window between flights gets cut down to 10-15 minutes (it's happened more than once). I can't run in flip flops and can't afford to even think about falling down. When I do have to wear my business attire, I have a great pair of Ecco Mary Janes that are almost as comfy as my tennies and I can run in them too.

I guess if I only flew once a year for vacation instead of once or twice a month, I might do differently.

I have always worn my flip flops on our last 3 cruises in March and October.. not necessarily warm weather not too cold either.. but I will be cruising in Jan this time and will be wearing them;) I wear them because I dont want to lug around an extra pair of sneakers that I will not wear anywhere else while cruising.

What erks me so much about the security screening is that I don't think it is REQUIRED that you take off your shoes. I love flip flops but don't usually fly in them.

Anyways, I always leave my shoes on when I go through the metal detector unless the TSA agent says I must take them off. Personally I would rather go through the extra screening in the off chance that my shoes set it off than have to mess around with taking my shoes off running them through the X-Ray and then have to fart around with putting them back on after I get through the metal detector.

Does anyone know for sure are you REQUIRED (as in mandatory) to take your shoes off at the metal detectors?

What erks me so much about the security screening is that I don't think it is REQUIRED that you take off your shoes. I love flip flops but don't usually fly in them.

Anyways, I always leave my shoes on when I go through the metal detector unless the TSA agent says I must take them off. Personally I would rather go through the extra screening in the off chance that my shoes set it off than have to mess around with taking my shoes off running them through the X-Ray and then have to fart around with putting them back on after I get through the metal detector.

Does anyone know for sure are you REQUIRED (as in mandatory) to take your shoes off at the metal detectors?

Per the TSA web site, it is REQUIRED to take off your shoes. Click on "Do I have to remove my shoes?" at the following URL:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/index.shtm[url=http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/index.shtm#3][/url]

sign0092.gif

in advance!

I only wear slip on shoes for the most part. I have and do take a pair of lace up tennis or hiking tennis shoes for walking in port, but most of the time at home and at the airport sandals or flip flops to make security easier. I have seen many people wearing those crocks. the clogs that are like rubber but closed toes, might be great for winter.

RUF

I always wear closed toed shoes for a couple of reasons; with all the people rushing around with their rolling suitcases it saves you from getting stepped/rolled on. Also if you were to ever have to evacuate an aircraft, you're going to want sturdy shoes. I'm surprised more people with kids don't make their children, at least, wear shoes.

Nope, I definitely don't... all too often I've had to run to catch a connection! Next week when I cruise I have a 27 minute layover... the airline put me on this after I had purposely booked a later flight because I was concerned about this. :(

I'll keep my opinion to myself about the underpaid, undertrained TSA gestapo that have no clue what they are looking at.

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wear socks or some covering. As someone who works in public heatlh, this practice of many people walking barefoot on the floor at the airport is just inviting disease.

I'll keep my opinion to myself about the underpaid, undertrained TSA gestapo that have no clue what they are looking at.

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wear socks or some covering. As someone who works in public heatlh, this practice of many people walking barefoot on the floor at the airport is just inviting disease.

Well if you could see my crusty feet, I am sure you would want to wear more than socks, more like feet condoms. I love taking my shoes off and making clicking sounds on the hard tile floor with my feet callouses. It is like the sound of fingernails on the floor. (LOL) I sometimes feel as if I could walk on glass and the glass would not like it.

RUF

Sorry but socks are not enough we should have some sort of issued footwear that they give you when you arrive, and can place your shoes in the luggage. That way it would speed up that one part.

RUF

Sorry but socks are not enough we should have some sort of issued footwear that they give you when you arrive, and can place your shoes in the luggage. That way it would speed up that one part.

RUF

They have foot coverings at Dulles in Virginia and in the Tampa, Fl airport. Of course they wouldn't be stylish enough for some people. :rolleyes:

Archived