*Flip-Flops at the Airport*

*IslandHopper*

My flip flops are thick and comfy -- more so than my tennis shoes. I wear them to walk all over Sea World and just about anywhere we go that is a casual atmosphere. Of course, I don't wear them to work or anywhere that is a more professional or dressy atmosphere. Anyone who can't run in them doesn't have the right kind or isn't used to wearing them. ;) :p

Yes I always wear flip flops or Birks and carry socks just in case...its just quicker and easier, since I also have a laptop to fumble with, and a baggie of liquids.. I hate to hold things up more than needed..

I can run like a gazelle in my flip flops, and have had to make that mad dash to make a connecting flight in them.

I was just recently at BWI airport and saw over 1/2 of the people there with flip- flops or slide on shoes. I know it's summer, but I think people are doing this because we have to take off our shoes at security.

• I was just wondering if you are doing or have done the same.

It seems to make things go easier when at security.

• Have you done this in the winter time?

sign0092.gif

in advance!

I travel for work quite a bit ... yes, and yes ... I do and have done both of the things you ask!

I wear my flip flops year round, especially when i'm travelling. It just makes it much easier. My senior year in high school it was winter and I was wearing flip flops, and we got out of school and it started to snow... (its nc in feb, not a common sight). i love my flip flops :)

I happen to work for an airline, and am at the airport everyday. Flip-flops are most certainly comfortable and easy to remove for security. I can see why they appear to be an attractive option.. At least out-bound. After the flight, waiting at the baggage carousel with everyone so close to the belt, and bags being yanked off and thrown backward make it very possible to accidentally get those toes stepped on, or have a bag land on them. I'm not saying we should all walk around with steel towed boots (mandatory for those behind the scenes) but something should be worn for at least minimal protection. Just my $0.02

I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm not of the "age" to do the Old Navy spaghetti strap tank top, no bra, knit shorts with no metal adornment, and flip flops ... This is my flying outfit. Even if I have to go some place on business, I wear this to fly and then change into something more appropriate.

Well if you could see my crusty feet, I am sure you would want to wear more than socks, more like feet condoms. I love taking my shoes off and making clicking sounds on the hard tile floor with my feet callouses. It is like the sound of fingernails on the floor. (LOL) I sometimes feel as if I could walk on glass and the glass would not like it.

RUF

I'm so sorry, but I couldn't let this one get past me! You are just too funny, almost made my stomach hurt!

I saw a lady in the airport who's feet were so crusty they looked like she'd been kicking flour! :D

I wear flip-flops or sandals 98% of the time in the spring/summer/early fall anyway and I wear flip-flops to fly in. I wore them in January with no problem. Yes, it was cold here, but the only time I was outside was going from the car to the airport so it wasn't far. I can walk quickly/run in my flip-flops though so if you can't, it might be better to wear a slip on sneaker.

And yes, I've always been able to find a place to sit and put shoes back on after security. I traveled with my 80 year old grandma last time I flew and she didn't have a problem.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm not of the "age" to do the Old Navy spaghetti strap tank top, no bra, knit shorts with no metal adornment, and flip flops ... This is my flying outfit. Even if I have to go some place on business, I wear this to fly and then change into something more appropriate.

I travel a lot on business in/out of the Orlando airport, and please trust me, if you keep to this dress code well into your 60's, you'll have plenty of company. :eek:

but this past time we cruised/travelled, I learned my lesson. YES, it DEFINATELY makes it easier going through security. BUT, my $40 per pair "Margaritaville" flip flops, which were fine and comfy for WALKING, turned into SHEER TORTURE on my feet while rushing through the airport trying to catch our flight. I had bought my friend, also travelling with us, a pair for Christmas, and her feet were killing her, too. We both LITERALLY bruised the tops of our feet from putting so much stress on the tops of the darn flip flops jogging at a decent pace, a good distance through the airport.

My Plan B for ease of getting off/putting on, and comfort, is getting a pair of the slip in/mule-style, no-tie tennis shoes.

Try not to wear flip flops in the airport but something that will slip off and on easy. My new Margaritaville flip flops cost me two visits to the doctor this summer and almost ruined my Elation cruise. Also bruised top part of foot walking on the beach with them. Now I stay with my Reefs or Crocs:eek:

I think I saw just as many Crocs in the Atlanta airport during my last trip as I did flip flops. I had a 3 hour layover and spent some of my time people watching and was amazed at what some wear to travel.

LOL. You aren't kidding. I wouldn't leave my house in some of what I've seen in airports.

for those of you grossed out about taking them on or off at an airport...

...have you ever seen the pax who go into the lido bathrooms barefoot? now that is beyond disgusting.:eek: and, it never fails that i see at least a couple of them, each cruise, sloshing around in other people's urine. YUK!

Archived