Our Spirit Cruise 7/29 to 8/4/07

twofit

twofit.....sounds like you had a great time! How did you carry the wine onboard? In a separate bag or with your carry on luggage? Where do you claim it?........at check in or when luggage is put through scanner? I'm sailing on the Dawn in a few weeks and would like to bring a bottle of wine with me for the cabin but not sure how it's done. Is the corkage fee still 15.00? Thanks for any info that you can supply :-)

joilee329- DH picked up a wine box from a local liquor store before we left. It had a handle and held 6 bottles.

avidreader- DH was the one who got upset whenever the audience made noise, clapped or got rowdy. He kept trying to calm them down because they were being rude during her show! So funny, because he's a HS teacher and that's so him!

Well, what about spraying yourself, and what about the environment?

If little bugs scare you, you don't have to go ashore.:eek:

From the CDC:

The best way for travelers to prevent leishmaniasis is by protecting themselves from sand fly bites. Vaccines and drugs for preventing infection are not yet available. To decrease their risk of being bitten, travelers should:

Stay in well-screened or air-conditioned areas as much as possible.

Avoid outdoor activities, especially from dusk to dawn, when sand flies are the most active.

When outside, wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks. Tuck your shirt into your pants.

Apply insect repellent on uncovered skin and under the ends of sleeves and pant legs. Follow the instructions on the label of the repellent. The most effective repellents are those that contain the chemical DEET (N,N-diethylmetatoluamide). The concentration of DEET varies among repellents. Repellents with DEET concentrations of 30-35% are quite effective, and the effect should last about 4 hours. Lower concentrations should be used for children (no more than 10% DEET). Repellents with DEET should be used sparingly on children from 2 to 6 years old and not at all on children less than 2 years old.

Spray clothing with permethrin-containing insecticides. The insecticide should be reapplied after every five washings.

Spray living and sleeping areas with an insecticide to kill insects.

If you are not sleeping in an area that is well screened or air-conditioned, use a bed net and tuck it under your mattress. If possible, use a bed net that has been soaked in or sprayed with permethrin. The permethrin will be effective for several months if the bed net is not washed. Keep in mind that sand flies are much smaller than mosquitoes and therefore can get through smaller holes. Fine-mesh netting (at least 18 holes to the inch; some sources say even finer) is needed for an effective barrier against sand flies. This is particularly important if the bed net has not been treated with permethrin. However, it may be uncomfortable to sleep under such a closely woven bed net when it is hot.

NOTE: Bed nets, repellents containing DEET, and permethrin should be purchased before traveling and can be found in hardware, camping, and military surplus stores.

I wonder how effective spraying the beach will be with insecticide after the following high tide, which washes the insecticide away?

Thanks for pointing out the precautions that people should take.

I did not suggest spraying the beach. I was simply pointing out that sands fleas are not always as “harmless” as you had pointed out.

You should see the boils that my friends are currently enduring...and I hope you understand why I felt the need to correct you.

Thanks for pointing out the precautions that people should take.

I did not suggest spraying the beach. I was simply pointing out that sands fleas are not always as “harmless” as you had pointed out.

You should see the boils that my friends are currently enduring...and I hope you understand why I felt the need to correct you.

I did understand why. Thanks for being civil about it. :)

Never-the-less, I believe it's wrong to expect the same health concerns, and the same remedial actions in the third world. There are insects to avoid in America too, very nasty things can happen to you in the wild.

Packing bug spray with deet is recommended by just about every cruise web site. I wish more did some research, and took some advice before sailing.

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good time. Most of the things you mention, I already knew (Darin worst CD, Bug spray at GSC, Bingo rip off, etc). I did know they are not flexible with ages of the kid's clubs which seems to be a problem with many people b/c not all kid's are at the same place socially by age. The airboat adventure tells you that you are not guaranteed to see wildlife, but we are trying it anyway. My mom went and saw a ton of gators so I guess we could get lucky.

I am confused about the tips though. Did they raise them? When I booked I was told it would be $10 a day for adults, $5 a day for my DS 6 and the DS 2 would not be charged. You said it was $15/$10. Is that right?

We did the airboat and thought it was pretty cool. My only disappointment (and it was a small one) was that we didn't go through the actual swampy everglades. We sped along a big river instead, passing some gators here and there. By the way, the $5 "charge" to take your picture with Brutus the baby alligator is a charitable donation toward care and feeding the animals at the sanctuary. We are animal lovers, so we had no problem with it. Keep in mind its a short excursion, but it was nice just the same.

I got much advice about my upcoming cruise which stops at GSC and have my bug spray packed ready to go.

Wow- haven't even gotten the suitcases out yet. I do know that I need two more bathing suits for the kids. Everything else is Saturday's problem!

We did the airboat and thought it was pretty cool. My only disappointment (and it was a small one) was that we didn't go through the actual swampy everglades. We sped along a big river instead, passing some gators here and there. By the way, the $5 "charge" to take your picture with Brutus the baby alligator is a charitable donation toward care and feeding the animals at the sanctuary. We are animal lovers, so we had no problem with it. Keep in mind its a short excursion, but it was nice just the same.

I agree about the donation, besides the photos on board cost 4 X's that.

Wow- haven't even gotten the suitcases out yet. I do know that I need two more bathing suits for the kids. Everything else is Saturday's problem!

I'll go crazy and get super stressed out. The kids are packed already. All our clothes are clean and pressed. I just have to put mine & DH's into a suitcase. I actually caught DS (6) trying to take something OUT of his suitcase, I almost flipped my top!:eek:

Archived