Tax Refund for Non-Canadian Visitors

There was talk the refund would be done away with but as far as I know it's still available, here's Revenue Canada's website http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/visitors/individuals/how-e.html

And that link you posted has out of date information, GST is now 6% and HST 14%. It looks like maybe a third pary service provider put up that site. Here's what Revenue Canada states about third party service providers "A number of private refund companies may offer to file a refund application on your behalf for a fee. These companies are not associated with the Government of Canada or the Canada Revenue Agency." You don't need a service provider, you can apply directly to Revenue Canada.

I see ell52 is right, I should have known that as I live in the town where they processed the refunds and there was a bif outcry when all the people in that department were going to lose their jobs.

We always used to do it. This spring we drove over to Toronto to see Phantom. We kept all our receipts and got to the border and there was a sign at the duty-free store that it had been discontinued.

When the GST tax was reduced from 7% to 6% (with a further unfulfilled promise of 5% by the end of 5 years - if they could manage to stay in government that long) it was decided that the program actually cost more to administrate then the rebates that we being refunded.

The other problem was 3rd party processors such as National Tax (linked above) who charged exorbitant rates to get people their refunds when the government charged $0.00

Archived