Carnival Sensation 8/12

I am a first time cruiser...hence the name. I am a serious planner and I am getting nervous that I missed something. I have a few questions if you have time to answer then, it would be much appreciated!! Is anyone else going on this sailing???

1) Is there anything you would suggest me taking besides the

normal, camera clothes and sunscreen? Or maybe something you wished you

would have brought!

2) Were you able to or did you try to sneek booze on with you? (we

are going to the rum distilery)

3) Was your stuff ok on the beach while you were in the water?

4) What stuff did you take on the beach with you? (ex. passport, Id)

5) How long did it take you to check in when you got to the ship?

6)When you at dinner did you have to eat with strangers?

7) What kind of things did you do while you were at sea?

8) How much was the "average" drink on the ship? (I dont drink

beer)

9) How many outfits a day do I need? (one for the shore and then

dinner...after dinner??)

10) Did you do anything that was not planned by the cruise, like

shore excursions?

11) Anything else I need to know??

Thanks for everything!!

Im doing the 3 day sensation in september... i booked a room at the comfort suites so i can have 100% access to the atlantis....i started a thread about the sensation somewhere on here not to long ago =)...

youll mostly be in your bathing suit all the time...bring a dress for formal night... if your going...remember its only 3 days- unless your doing the 4day-

average drink is 5.50 6 bucks.. not bad considering here in jersey and ny its 8 lol

I am a first time cruiser...hence the name. I am a serious planner and I am getting nervous that I missed something. I have a few questions if you have time to answer then, it would be much appreciated!! Is anyone else going on this sailing???

1) Is there anything you would suggest me taking besides the

normal, camera clothes and sunscreen? Or maybe something you wished you

would have brought!

2) Were you able to or did you try to sneek booze on with you? (we

are going to the rum distilery)

3) Was your stuff ok on the beach while you were in the water?

4) What stuff did you take on the beach with you? (ex. passport, Id)

5) How long did it take you to check in when you got to the ship?

6)When you at dinner did you have to eat with strangers?

7) What kind of things did you do while you were at sea?

8) How much was the "average" drink on the ship? (I dont drink

beer)

9) How many outfits a day do I need? (one for the shore and then

dinner...after dinner??)

10) Did you do anything that was not planned by the cruise, like

shore excursions?

11) Anything else I need to know??

Thanks for everything!!

1) If you drink alot (like My Wife and I do) we brought some large insulated mugs to fill up with tea or fruit punch at the buffett and take to the pool or wherever with us.

Best thing we packed, by far.

2)Didn't sneak any booze, but we did pack a 12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper and some bottled water in our checked luggage and brought a collapsable rolling cooler, which the steward kept filled with ice and came in very handy.

3)We never left our stuff at the beach at Our Lucaya (as it was chilly on the first day of February. Great to lay out, but too cold to swim) and we always take advantage of the British Colonial Hilton's daypass for their pool and beach in Nassau and we feel totally secure there.

4)Passport (although all you need is your sign and sail card and driver's license anywhere in the Bahamas) camera, whatever else we wanted that day.

5)We always arrive at the port early, so no time at all.

We arrived at 10:30 and 11 AM and were on the ship at 11:30 and 11AM respectively.

I can't speak to how backed up the lines checking in, get as more people arrive later.

6)Yes you will eat with strangers unless you have a large enough party to fill a table. (most on the Sensation seemed to hold 6 people. A few bigger, a few smaller)

7)My wife loves relaxing by the pool and sunning and reading a few books.

I prefer participating in trivia games, cornhole games, etc....

Basically whatever you choose to do. There are alot of options.

8)From the beverage menu in February....

Specialty cocktails - $4.25

Frozen exotic cocktails - $4.95 - $7.95 in souvenir glass

Scotches - $4.50-$6.50

Vodkas - $4.50-$6.25

Martinis- $5.75-$8.50

Rums-$4.50-$5.95

Gin-$4.50-$5.95

Tequila-$4.50-$5.95

9)That is a personal decision.

I change alot, my wife not so much.

10)We did no ship excursions, as there is NO reason in Nassau to do a ship excursion. (you can do the exact same excursion much cheaper, by walking a few yards into the Welcome center on your own.)

I would strongly suggest checking out the Bahamas message board in here, where you can get some phenominal tips for Freeport and especially Nassau.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Hope that helps...

Bill

Bill gave excellent answers, so I won't add more. However, as to #5, we arrived at 1:00 pm. The longest backup was the luggage dropoff line. All in all it went quickly even though there were obviously a LOT of people there. We were in our cabin by 2:00 pm. It's a smooth system.

Bill you are just wonderful....As for boarding...Can we drop our bags off check in and then go out in port canaveral?

Also travel insurance...did you use it? If so did you buy it through cernival or someone else.

Are you driving or being dropped off? It's a bit of a hike in the Florida heat if you're walking. What were you planning to see?

I don't believe you can leave once you begin checking in.

After you drop off your bags with the Porters, you head to your left and have to show your Carnival Paperwork and ID to just get into the terminal to begin your checkin.

Then you head through security scanners and head up an escalator to the 2nd floor.

Then you get in a line to the right, to get your sign and sail card and room keys.

After you do the paperwork and get your cards and keys, you head to your left, where the gangplank is.

Hope that helps you visualize the check in experience (at least Sensation-wise) in Port Canaveral.

Bill

Archived