6 weeks to Mariner, and some potentially dumb questions...

Counting down to Mariner after a particularly dismal and rainy Monday at work...and I have a couple of questions which may potentially be dumb - but here goes:

1. About Chops/Portofino

So, I haven't eaten any meat in 28 years (a little fish, now and then, but it has to be prepared really well) and my husband who's celebrating a landmark birthday a few weeks before the cruise loves nothing more than a good steak. We were considering trying a specialty restaurant during one night of our cruise. He'd like Chops, and Portofino appeals more to my tastes but it's his big birthday so I'll concede. I could order a bunch of appetizers (crab cakes, portobello, etc.) and make a meal on that, but I wondered...has anybody ever eaten in one of the specialty restaurants and ordered off the menu in the other. They are usually right next door, right? Any experiences much appreciated.

2. So what's the big deal...

With the Cruise Director on the ship? Granted, we've only been on one cruise so far, but I just don't get it. I couldn't tell you who the Cruise Director was, much less how she (he?) made my cruise better. I'm serious, so please be kind... I'm afraid I missed something.,

Counting down...

Can't help you on the specialty restaurant. When we crusied on the Mariner, the famous Becky was off duty after an injury, so our cruise director was Phil from her cruise staff. He was always upbeat and made an appearance. I don't think the cruise director makes the cruises, but an outgoing cruise director does get the crowd going. If you are looking for a relaxing, quiet time, I can't see how the CD would make that better. But that's just my opinion. :)

Sorry you're having a dismal day. Hope some cruise talk will brighten it up. I have never ordered from the other restaurant, but I have heard that you can. As far as the CD, I agree with you. I think that the people who enjoy partying a lot have more contact with them. I have never seen the need for any contact and view them as an emcee.

You'll love the Mariner.

I know I didn't really answer your questions, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Thanks everybody!

I actually have the menus bookmarked and enjoyed reading all the choices, which is key when you don't eat meat! (Plus, it's just fun to dream of food - which explains why the Food Network is successful...)

I just wondered if we could solve the marital question of which restaurant to try with an old-fashioned compromise :D as in "I get my way, and you get yours, and we both feel good!" by ordering from both menus...

Thanks everybody!

I actually have the menus bookmarked and enjoyed reading all the choices, which is key when you don't eat meat! (Plus, it's just fun to dream of food - which explains why the Food Network is successful...)

I just wondered if we could solve the marital question of which restaurant to try with an old-fashioned compromise :D as in "I get my way, and you get yours, and we both feel good!" by ordering from both menus...

You could get the appetizers and salads. I also noticed that they do have a fish. Ask for it the way you like it. Also, it doesn't hurt to ask if you can order something from the other restaurant. Maybe they could set up something special for you if you explain your situations. (You don't eat meat and this is where your husband would like to dine for his birthday). It doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck. We are going in 2 weeks. I hope your days get better before you cruise. You should keep a picture close by of the ship to remind you that paradise is only a few months away.

2. So what's the big deal...

With the Cruise Director on the ship? Granted, we've only been on one cruise so far, but I just don't get it. I couldn't tell you who the Cruise Director was, much less how she (he?) made my cruise better. I'm serious, so please be kind... I'm afraid I missed something.,

Counting down...

I'll skip the Chops/Portofino question because others have already answered it.

The CD means nothing to me either. I think it's a little bit like the cheerleaders in high school. Some people enjoyed being in the bleachers and watching their antics, while others of us were either oblivious or off doing other things. It's a matter of personal taste and what you're looking for on your cruise. We tend to stay away from the games on the pool deck and many of the shows.

Hope your weather improves with your countdown!

Thanks everybody!

I Had a really good steak in Portofino on Adventure last month

Thanks everybody!

As homer simpson once said.... "DUH", do both:D, not being snarky, just saw the movie and having fun.... you're on vacay.... why have to choose? BUt.... book immediately, no matter what you decide, and I mean on day 1.

Thanks to all for the great responses. My week's not getting much better, here in NY with no public transportation all day, thanks to a mere 3 inches of rain - *sigh*

Guess nobody's ever actually done what I'm proposing for Chops, but it can't hurt to ask. I can always go with my multi-appetizer idea and probably be happy. And yes, it'll probably be our first stop upon boarding since we have a specific night we want to dine.

And now I don't feel so bad about not getting the cruise director thing...

Happy cruising and thanks to all for more great answers and ideas!

I forgot what I was going to say but Chops has Alaska Halibut which it a light fish and Tuna steaks as well if you can manage. I remember now, my mother-in-law can only eat certain foods and being our waiter in the dining room knew this, we told her we would be eating at Chops on Thursday so she helped the staff at Chops pre-prepare a meal she knew my MIL could eat. I would suggest talking with your waiter, they can make something from the main dining room menu that you like and serve it for you at Chops. Our waiter (during her shift in the DR) actually came up to Chops to make sure everything was going ok and that MIL got the proper meal. They will work with you.

As for the CD? It's all up to you, the more you join in things the more you will see them. They don't make or break a cruise.

You may be like us. We had cruised 15 times and couldn't tell you the CD's name or what they did....(I think the same about most Captains - some are more friendly than others)

But, when you go on a cruise, and there really is an exceptional CD who comes to you personally and makes you feel like a close friend - that was different, and I thought it was GREAT.

From a post I read before my Mariner cruise, I think the specialty restaurants will allow you to order off of their own menu. Someone wanted dessert from Chops while dining at Portofino (or the other way around) and were told they could not be accomodated. This is just secondary information, I did not experience it myself, but it never hurts to ask! Good luck!

We had the filet mignon in Portofino and it was every bit as good as the filet in Chops (which the waiters have always recommended as the best cut of meat), so you might want to consider eating there. Then you can take advantage of some fabulous veggie and seafood offerings there. You can do the multiple appetizer thing at Chops, but then you'd miss out on the tiramisu for dessert...

As for the CD, my experience has been that good ones aren't constantly intruding into your vacation with loud obnoxious announcements and over the top silliness. But they are out and about meeting passengers and you can strike up a nice conversation, feel like you've made a new friend and leave with a great feeling about having met them.

Enjoy your cruise!

We've only had (in eight cruises) one CD whose name we remember. And that's because he was so awful! Very annoying, had a really abrasive sense of humor, and while out around the ship, he seemed too busy and disinterested to speak civilly to anyone. The worst thing was that we ended up having him on two different cruises (different ships)! No chance of us seeing him again anytime soon, though. Now he works for Princess.

Archived