Going cruisin woohoo, but without the kids???

brandymleahy

Okay here is the dilemma, DH and I have 2 children ages 5 and 2. They both have disabilities. 2yo has club feet and partial amputation of his fingers. And 5yo has severe CP what if I did bring them?? Does anyone know what the procedure for bring disabled children on a cruise is? Honestly though I don't believe that even if they say they could handle my 5yo DD I don't think I would trust them with her. Does anyone have experience with such a thing???

I know that people bring children with disabilities on board. I would call Carnival. A lot might depend on whether or not the children need nursing type care or require total 1 on 1 attention. I would also do a search of this site about this. I know that there's a poster that knows a lot about the ins and outs of cruising on Carnival with a disabled child but can't think of her screen name. Also, if you change the title of your post to something about bringing children with disabilities you might attract others on here with the same issues..

Good luck to you. I worked with children with multiple handicaps for many years before going to nursing school and am now a pediatric private duty nurse. I know it can be difficult to do vacations, etc. but some of my friends have actually gone on vacations with families to take care of the nursing.

:) JMO-

Its Ok to go with out the little ones and leave the kiddos with someone you trust to care for them properly and enjoy some 'couple time'. At that age the kiddos would most likely have as much fun in their own familiar surroundings as on a cruise. You can always take them to the beach/amusment park/museum/whatever another time. But you might enjoy your cruise more if you didnt have to worry about the little ones. Its not being selfish to have some time to yourselves.

It sounds astho you would not be confortable leaving them in Camp and might worry? (if Im reading your post correctly).

It is a personal descision, but (you ask for opinions) its ok to go on Vacation with out the kiddos. :)

Good luck and have fun, what ever you deceide.

:) JMO-

Its Ok to go with out the little ones and leave the kiddos with someone you trust to care for them properly and enjoy some 'couple time'. At that age the kiddos would most likely have as much fun in their own familiar surroundings as on a cruise. You can always take them to the beach/amusment park/museum/whatever another time. But you might enjoy your cruise more if you didnt have to worry about the little ones. Its not being selfish to have some time to yourselves.

It sounds astho you would not be confortable leaving them in Camp and might worry? (if Im reading your post correctly).

It is a personal descision, but (you ask for opinions) its ok to go on Vacation with out the kiddos. :)

Good luck and have fun, what ever you deceide.

your post makes me feel alott better about possibly leaving the kiddos with my dad at home. My son absolutely loves his paw-paw and his cousin brian that is always with my dad. The reason that we don't do anyother type of vacation is that no matter where we go with the kids it is extremely hard to do anything with a severely handycapped child. Not to mention the unwanted looks and stares of "concerned" people.

your post makes me feel alott better about possibly leaving the kiddos with my dad at home. My son absolutely loves his paw-paw and his cousin brian that is always with my dad. The reason that we don't do anyother type of vacation is that no matter where we go with the kids it is extremely hard to do anything with a severely handycapped child. Not to mention the unwanted looks and stares of "concerned" people.

I understand.

Sounds like the kiddos would have a blast with PawPaw (thats what my girls called my dad when he was still with us:) ) and Brian. Im sure you spend lots of time with the children and care for them well. You deserve some time to recharge. (Children can be draining, even when they dont require 'special care')

Go, have a good time, relax, recharge,have an extra glass of wine with dinner, enjoy being a couple with no responsibilites for a few days, and bring the kiddos back a suprise.

You will be happy you did, and you will go with the peace of mind that your little ones are in a loving, caring, safe enviroment while your away.

happy Sailing.

They wouldn't be trained medically to handle them in Camp Carnival. I know one poor mom called Carnival about her autistic daughter and then came back here to be report that they wouldn't accomodate her at camp carnival. The rep (allegedly) said that Camp carnival "isn't a babysitting service" :rolleyes: I hope the rep had more tact than that...but ya know.

I never travel without my kids BUT I can see that in this case, your children would be well cared for by their grandparents and you would get a much needed break. :D

Okay here is the dilemma, DH and I have 2 children ages 5 and 2. They both have disabilities. 2yo has club feet and partial amputation of his fingers. And 5yo has severe CP what if I did bring them?? Does anyone know what the procedure for bring disabled children on a cruise is? Honestly though I don't believe that even if they say they could handle my 5yo DD I don't think I would trust them with her. Does anyone have experience with such a thing???

For what my 2 cents is worth, we are leaving our special needs son and our daughter at home with Mimi when we go. The will have fun with Mimi just as yours would have fun with PawPaw. Mine will probably have more fun then they would on a cruise. It will give you (and us) and chance to refresh and recharge.

We are taking them on a separate vacation a month beforehand to Disney World, where we know teh accomodations they have for special needs children.

I think if you took them you will spend more time worrying then rejuvenating and a refreshed you will be great for you and them!

We are the parents of three boys, 14, 11 and 8. Our youngest is severely disabled and 100% dependent on us for all of his needs. He is an angel! It is also difficult to stay fresh day in and day out living our lives the way we do. Heck, typical kids are draining let alone a child that has major health issues and needs!!

I have learned that it's OK to take time for ME. It wasn't always easy (plenty of Mommy-guilt early on) but I realized that I am a better mom when I've had a break to just be Michelle again. DH and I have taken two cruises together and it was fabulous! It was wonderul just being a couple again. We have another planned for next spring. Our two older boys are not happy about not going (I took them last December on their first cruise and they are hooked!) but they also know that we need time together. We have wonderful respite providers for our son and the two older boys stay with my parents when we go away. It makes it easier to leave knowing they are in good hands.

Please go and enjoy yourselves. You deserve it!

Me and my DH took a cruise without our 2 kids this last Feb 07. It was nice, emotional, yes, but also refreshing to say the least about getting to spend time together. My DH works long hours, most days getting after me and the kids have gone to bed (at least 4 nights a week) Anyway, being able to be together, talk and just enjoy one another without the kids was nice. A much needed Honeymoon~as we really didnt have one with us both being in college at the time.

BUT, don't get me wrong, we TOTALLY missed the kids! ;) I called 3-4 times during the week and ended up talking about them probably a little too much...but hey, the are my life! The best thing to know is that your kids are being well cared for! I guess, if I didn't have my parents who are capable to care for them and wanted too, I do not know what I would do. I guess we would have taken them, or just have stayed home. You are NOT being a bad parent, but yet giving yourself some "ME" grownup time, and I promise you will definately come back refreshed and ready to go!!!:cool:

Have a great time!!!!!:D

I definitely think that if you have help from a trusted person who is capable of caring for the kids needs and ensuring they have a great time while you are gone, go for it! Don't feel the least bit guilty, all parents need a break some time, especially parents of kids with special needs.

Archived