BEST Mojita & conch???

vafamily5

Where can I get the best mojita's and conch in Key West? I am not looking for a sit down meal, just want to let my kids try conch fritters. Does anyone know anything about the Conch vendor in Mallory square?

You know, I've never had a mojito, but I'm determined to try one (or more) when we get back to Key West in October for a land vacation. I know my friend had one at Lazy Gecko (near Sloppy Joe's) and she said it was really good. I had some frozen thing instead and just never got around to having a mojito.

Willie T's is a fun place -- has some pretty good food, too, but I'm not sure about conch fritters (I don't eat them). I know they have some kind of drink special almost every day. FYI, Willie T's is in the 600 block on the left side of Duval as you are walking up from Mallory Square.

Personally I am not fond of conch fritters; however many people have said they found the best ones at the little shack in front of the Key West Aquarium located adjacent to Clinton Square mall.

As far as Mojitos, there have been many contests in that area and usually the Conch Republic Seafood Company or Mangoes comes out the top choice.

Mike:)

I would have to say that the best Mojitos are at a cuban bar/restaurant on Mallory Square. (I can't remember the name). The price was 9.00 each though. Best Conch Fritters hands down is at BO's Fish Wagon.

This is El Meson de Pepe. They used to make the best IMO but they have switched from making them in glass glasses and now make them in plastic cups. These are smaller and you can't mull the mint properly in plastic. AND they are $9.50 a throw! This is too expensive.

Years ago El Meson de Pepe used to have Mojito Madness on Monday nights - 2-4-1 mohitos, in glasses. You never saw such a happy group of campers!

Try one at Kelly's on the corner of Caroline and Whitehead. (They also make a nice Key Lime Marguerita)

Pjk

Dang! I'm so sorry to learn that El Meson de Pepe has cheapened their offerings by perpetrating the criminal act of serving their mojitos in plastic cups:eek:.

I used to love their mojitos. Just one would knock me back on my heels. By the way, am I the only one who thinks the other food on their menu has deteriorated in quality also? Their salsa/merengue band is still good though.

I still usually go for a dinner there, one of the Cuban samplers (#81 or #82) with a glass of red wine and cafe con leche afterwards. It's nice to sit on their veranda and listen to the band (Caribe?) with dinner, then to listen for a while afterwards. They used to have Hatuay beer on tap, then only in bottles, then nada.

If anyone goes here, be warned that they automatically add an 18% tip to the tab, but it's not very obvious, so don't add another.

Pjk.

Archived