When to book a TA

shoreless

We haven't sailed on Cunard before, but we're planning on spending a couple of months in Europe next summer, and don't like long flights. On the Cunard website, it appears that at some point the EBS faires change to brochure rates, but is there any way to know when the change occurs?

Thanks.

First, of all.. don't judge your pricing based on what you see on Cunard's website.

The shoulder months of April and October are the least expensive. Rates jump when the kids get out of school. However, if you are flexible on your on your dates you can find some great rates.

There are many large agencies who block group space and have amenities to add to your booking.

Not all bookings can be refared. It depends on the actual new fare code. As an example, folks who booked for the Oct 25 07 ta may be surprised to see lower rates on their sailing. However, they can't get these lower rates because they are FLASH rates.. for new bookings only.

Thanks. We're in the process of retiring, so we'll be pretty flexible on dates except that I'm afraid of the hotel prices in Europe if we spend a lot more time there; neither of us has ever been to Europe, and we haven't really done any research yet.

I had a recent medical problem (euphemism for "oh no, why me"), and we've decided to retire a couple of years earlier than we originally planned and take as many cruises as we can afford to or are physically able to in the next couple of years. Worse case, if I can't go on all of them, at least I'll have had the fun of planning them and looking forward to them.:)

Thanks. We're in the process of retiring, so we'll be pretty flexible on dates except that I'm afraid of the hotel prices in Europe if we spend a lot more time there; neither of us has ever been to Europe, and we haven't really done any research yet.

Be prepared for sticker shock. Check exchange rates. The US dollar isn't doing all that well against the Euro and other foreign currencies.

I had a recent medical problem (euphemism for "oh no, why me"), and we've decided to retire a couple of years earlier than we originally planned and take as many cruises as we can afford to or are physically able to in the next couple of years. Worse case, if I can't go on all of them, at least I'll have had the fun of planning them and looking forward to them.:)

Planning is half the fun, but the actual cruise is the best half. I hope your medical problem is behind you and you can enjoy many cruises to come. But, just in case, buy trip insurance, and do it right when you book the cruise. Some policies only cover pre-existing conditions if you buy the insurance within a week or two of making the booking. Check with your travel agent. There are lots of insurance companies, you don't have to take the cruise line's insurance.

Kathy

As another poster mentioned, the shoulder seasons have the best rates and Cunard is very generous to agents with group space during those times by allowing them to offer many extra perks. You might also want to ask your agent when they are having a cruise sale week. These are special weeks when the agency partners with Cunard to host a special sale with additional perks. Plus, they are combinable with group rates/perks if they are new bookings. The only glitch is that you have to book during the week of the sale. Happy planning and enjoy your early retirement. You sound like a fun, full of life person, your travel agent is lucky to work with you!

PS. I also highly recommend talking to your TA about different insurance options. I usually find the ships to be more expensive and don't cover things like airfare and hotels if not booked through them. Considering the length of your European trip you will also want to talk to your own health/homeowners insurance to find out what they do and do not cover when you travel internationally. You will want to find an insurance to pick up where they leave off.

You just may find that crusing through Europe would be more advantageous money wise, than dealing with the lousy exchange rates. River cruising has really taken off ... those folks who want to see more than the coastlines.

You can count on a very average clean centrally located hotel costing $300+ a night not including breakfast. Compare that with crusing.. with meals included..... even the river cruises include sightseeing in their tariffs... they are a terrific bargain.

A lot of great advice. Thanks everyone. I can see I have a lot of research to do, especially in the area of insurance. I love the idea of river cruising, but I'm afraid it might be a little too sociable for us.:o I will look into it though.

Take a look at the new Azamara cruises. they look pretty interesting to me. I saw a presentation on them recently and I think they might fit the bill for you!

Karie,

who wishes she had the time, but understands the "life could be short" philosophy, It's what got her into cruising!

Archived