Which do you think works better?

I like the free stuff they have on board. You can go down to the doctor's office to get a supply. We were on Brilliance last year, and they had a basket of seasick pills right inside the door. The come in small packets. They worked well for me and didn't make me drowsy.

I hope this helps.

The Less-Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine are the same active ingredient- Meclizine. This is my first choice. I buy mine at Target - the generic Target brand gives you like 30 for about 3 or 4 bucks, where the brand is much more expensive and you get 10 pills if you are lucky!

The regular dramamine will make you pretty drowsy, but it depends on if you get sick or not; i'd rather be a bit drowsy than a bit sick!

The key to not getting sick is to make sure you take the pill before you set sail, at least a few hours before hand. If you've never cruised before and don't know if you are going to get sea sick, i always recommend people take it, and then as it wears off you will know if you need it again; believe me! Been there, done that!

The Patch - Transcop patch (scopolomine) - I was surprised to see that CC put this as the first choice. It's the strongest and has the most potential side effects. I used it once and ended up with the absolute worst dry mouth (nothing made it go away...) and blurry vision so bad I was unable to read anything, including my menus for 3 days!

But, again, everyone is different and handle meds and the ocean differently. Try a few things, but just make sure you try something before sailing, because once it starts... it will take much longer to recover from it.

Good Luck!

I like the free stuff they have on board. You can go down to the doctor's office to get a supply. We were on Brilliance last year, and they had a basket of seasick pills right inside the door. The come in small packets. They worked well for me and didn't make me drowsy.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! Were they really free???? That's great! And doubly great that they didn't make you drowsy!

Thanks everyone for your advice! I don't think I'll chance waiting to see if there are any free pills on the ship, but that's still worth checking out. Our doc advised against the patch because of all the side effects. Probably go with the no drowsy brand from Target.....now I'll have a good excuse to go back to Target and shop again!!!

We have always taken dramamine and had no problems with it at all. You should start taking it the day before you sail. This was recommended to us by our Doctor. Sailed 59 times so far, all kinds of weather, and never missed a meal. So it worked for us.....

The Less-Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine are the same active ingredient- Meclizine. This is my first choice. I buy mine at Target - the generic Target brand gives you like 30 for about 3 or 4 bucks, where the brand is much more expensive and you get 10 pills if you are lucky!

The regular dramamine will make you pretty drowsy, but it depends on if you get sick or not; i'd rather be a bit drowsy than a bit sick!

The key to not getting sick is to make sure you take the pill before you set sail, at least a few hours before hand. If you've never cruised before and don't know if you are going to get sea sick, i always recommend people take it, and then as it wears off you will know if you need it again; believe me! Been there, done that!

The Patch - Transcop patch (scopolomine) - I was surprised to see that CC put this as the first choice. It's the strongest and has the most potential side effects. I used it once and ended up with the absolute worst dry mouth (nothing made it go away...) and blurry vision so bad I was unable to read anything, including my menus for 3 days!

But, again, everyone is different and handle meds and the ocean differently. Try a few things, but just make sure you try something before sailing, because once it starts... it will take much longer to recover from it.

Good Luck!

I don't know the difference between the two meds, but they are not listed the same. Bonine is listed as Meclizine HCI, 25 mg Dramamine is Diminhydrinate (sp) 50 mg. I take the less-drowsey Dramamine with no problems at all, I take it at night at bedtime. I've tried the generic brand of Meclizine and practically slept through the first half of the cruise.

Any choice should be tried at home before boarding, to check for side effects. I tried ginger and it gave me wicked heartburn. I will not attempt the patches, I seem to get every side effect listed on meds and I love to read so I won't even consider it.

Edit to add, Dramamine has directions for use by children and lists the dosage, Bonine has warnings not to give to children without a physician OK

Archived