Cell Phones

gonetothedogs

Yes, no and maybe.

Can not answer your question since you did not mention the carrier you have. It varies. If you do a search for CELL or the the name of your carrier you will find lots of past experience.

This gets discussed quite often, so there some older threads about it. Also, it comes up on the ALASKA boards under PORTS OF CALL.

Just noticed you are from Alberta - assume that is Canada, and you have Canada phone service? That could change things as well, since most of your ports are in the U.S.

Hmmmm

Ships have their own signal, when at sea. These should be turned off when in port, and you will be roaming on the ports towers (if in a foreign country).

Most Cell carriers charge $2.49 per minute at sea, with reports that T-Mobile charges $4.99 per minute. No roaming domestic plans do not apply to cruise ships and foreign ports, and mobile to mobile do not apply either. You will pay extra for any call placed or answered.

Most national carriers will work on board ship, many smaller regional carriers will not. Call your carrier or refer to their website for details, many will require international dialing to be added to your phone for it to work.

Remember even if you have a no roaming plan, this only applies to domestic calling not cruise ships and foreign ports, and even if it is free to call mobile to mobile, this will not apply either, any way you cut it, it will cost you.

Hope this helps

MAC

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I learned from going to my carrier (Telus) that with my pay 'n talk account, I will not have coverage. Good to know.

I guess it will really be a vacation away from business stuff... actually could be a good thing. ;)

Thanks again,

gonetothedogs

When we were on our Royal Caribbean cruise to Alaska, DH's tracfone had a signal in every port, but not while we were at sea. My mom had emergency surgery while we were gone, and I was able to speak to her that same day. It was a great relief to have it with us.

When we sailed on the Sun to the W Caribbean, the Tracfone always had a signal while at sea, but not in the ports. It worked wonderful for us, because we were never truly "out of touch" with our family for more than a few hours at a time.

BTW, it didn't cost any more "units" than it does using it to call right here at home. With Tracfone there are no hidden charges. I read on here where some people had bought a tracfone and extra minutes just for their cruise and didn't intend to use it again. It is an option. Sorry to sound like a commercial for Tracfone.:o

We just got off the Spirit a week ago and none of the four Tracfones we purchased ahead of time worked while at sea (and all had been properly activated and worked fine in St. Thomas!) We just thought it was funny - maybe Tracfone's gotten wiser! :p

I use my cvell hone (verizon) in Juneau, skagway etc. mostly in port--

I used THE CELL in vICtORIA AND WAS CHARGED EXTRA BECAUSE i AM ON THE AMERICAN PLAN. i WAS BILLED SOME ROAMING CHARGES IN jUNEAU-- I THINK SOE HOW WE ACESSED THUR THE PEARL ANTENNA--VERIZON REVERSED THE CHARGES AFTER I CALLED THEM. Witin fity miles of shore where there was a verizon cell ant. I was able to make adn receive calls at sea.

I use my cvell hone (verizon) in Juneau, skagway etc. mostly in port--

I used THE CELL in vICtORIA AND WAS CHARGED EXTRA BECAUSE i AM ON THE AMERICAN PLAN. i WAS BILLED SOME ROAMING CHARGES IN jUNEAU-- I THINK SOE HOW WE ACESSED THUR THE PEARL ANTENNA--VERIZON REVERSED THE CHARGES AFTER I CALLED THEM. Witin fity miles of shore where there was a verizon cell ant. I was able to make adn receive calls at sea.

i hOPE they fix your KeYboard soON.

Archived