Radiance of the Seas

Fire and Ice

Thanks, Paul for the heads up regarding the eagles. We'll be in ISP on 9/4. We're planning on doing a whale-watching excursion but then walking toward Hoonah. We'll be sure to keep our eyes open for the eagles!

Also keep an eye out for eagles in the trees along Creek Street (Ketchikan) and if you go on the Mt. Roberts tram in Juneau.

Just got off the Radiance on 8/3 - the stops were pretty cool (40's/50's) and wet. Make sure you have some clothing for wet/cool weather just in case. (My mother and sister actually bought a lined rain coat in Ketchikan at the Alaskan Shirt Company for $20 and wore it the whole cruisetour - were VERY time happy with the purchase).

I just got off the Radiance - you'll have a great time! Don't plan on sleeping in too much - the captain will call "wakey, wakey" in the morning to get you up and going :) (just fyi, you can turn down the volume of the speaker in your cabin if you choose) Also, don't believe everything the captain tells you....

We went to Hubbard glacier, which was awesome, but I went out to the helipad early and spent 2 hours out there in the freezing cold. I got a lot of great pictures, but it was notnecessary. The helipad never got overly crowded, and people were very good about taking turns at the railing. Also, my family saw basically the same thing from their balconies, although their pictures weren't quite as good.

Go play pool on the self-leveling tables. They are way cool!

Finally, it's a great ship, but get off it! You will see and learn so much more by getting into port, booking excursions with locals, or just walking around and talking to people (not the people in Diamonds International, of course :) )

Have a great trip - wish I was back on board!!!

Archived