Will I be disappointed?

Crusing Candy

...because of my non-stop researching I have become the official tour guide for friends who cruise with hubby and I. Have I ever been disappointed by all my research...no, because no matter how much you research there is something new to discover. Even in our many cruises out of Galveston and our many trips to the same ports I am amazed at finding out new things that I did not know about on earlier cruises. I have to say one of my biggest pleasures is seeing the faces of my friends as I introduce them to something new on our vacation.

I did learn one thing...and that was on my first cruise. I took a folder, about 1 inch thick, with stuff I had printed out. I never took it out...what a waste of trees!:o

You will never know "too" much...

I'm a bit of a drama queen, but...

When we got home from our first cruise last August, I shut myself up in my bedroom, and I cried. Hysterically. For like a half hour.

Nothing beats the actual cruise experience. Plan, plan, plan. Read all you can. Anticipation is the greatest. Keep an open, optimistic mind, and you'll have the time of your life. :)

Hi Everyone:

I definitely do research prior to a cruise. I enjoy reading the threads on the ship, ports of call, etc. No matter how much research I do, I'm still floored by the beauty of the ship, the ports, food, entertainment, etc.

When DH/I went on a Bermuda cruise in 2003, we knew nothing about Bermuda and what to do/not to do. I bought a book, took notes, did some research on the web and found some great things to do at half the cost of a tour. I made up a list of things we could do if we ventured out on our own and it worked out great. My research paid off and DH was very happy that I put so much time into it. We saw a lot more of Bermuda being on our own and not having to be tied down with a group. I would rather know about a destination than go into it blind. Also, when meeting people on the ship that has been to the port before I can get his/her opinion of the port which is very helpful.

Since most cruise lines list the port excursions on their web site it definitely helps as well to see if it's something you really want to do or go on your own.

For ports that DH/I visited before we will either go with an excursion that we really enjoyed (Stingray City at Grand Cayman) or venture out on our own since we are familiar with the place. I've been to a few ports several times already and each time we are there we always find something new and exciting to do thanks to my research.

• 1 month later...

:o I am so glad to read this site and find out I am not the only one practically living on this cruise critic site. We are going on the Princess Sapphire in August to Alaska...first cruise ever. I am so excited and reading everything I can on the computer. Every night my husband says, "well, do you know the captains name yet?" To which I reply, " no, but I bet I could find out if I tried." I can hardly wait!!!

• 3 years later...

and enjoyed it immensely-I realized the OP never came back and posted whether her cruise lived up to her expectations- and so she left us dangling. I would have loved to know how she felt.

Recently, my sister took her first cruise and LOVED it-and felt things were much better than she anticipated-now I am trying to get her to come to this site.

Some people are just more comfortable being familiar with their territory.

Pictures really do no justice usually anyways.

I find researching builds my excitement, not the reverse.

I don't think you are going to compromise yourself in any way.

Have a cute remark ready for him the first time he turns to you for information. lol.

Enjoy!

My DH says the same thing about me. I have cruised before, but still like to research every detail of what we could or will do.

I don't think you will be disappointed! Just don't be afraid to do something different from what you might have had planned. Be flexible and enjoy yourself.

Archived