What's the best way to book a one-way to Rome???

martyap

We are not cruising until October, 2008 but I could use advice. Flying from JFK to FCO to get a TA to Ft. Lauderdale. The return from FLL is not a problem via Jet Blue or SW.

If I use my AA miles they will charge me for a r/t ticket to Rome. I could use the unused return ticket for another TA within a year....one choice.

I could also purchase a r/t to Rome and again use the return at a later date after paying $100 + the difference.

I have been getting good one way flights on http://www.bt-store.com using October 2007 as a test. I've been pulling Lufthansa and United for about $400 pp. Is this a good option? Am I buying the tickets directly from the airline? Have never used an airline consolidator before.....please advise! What are the things to watch out for?????

Thanks,

Marty

If it was my choice, I would either use miles or cash and book the RT ticket. Plan on another TA in the spring, 2009.

However, if those plans are NOT in your future (and you MUST use the ticket-award or cash) within one year FROM DATE OF PURCHASE.

Your other, full service airline option is booking Aer Lingus on a one way basis. You will fly out of JFK, one stop in Dublin. One way this fall is about $360.00.

Usually lots of fare sales to Europe for flights after September 15 and before December 10.

Using BT travel store gets you a consolidator class ticket. As a general rule, consolidator class tickets are NON ENDORSABLE. What it means to you-if you have a problem with your originating flight (mechanical, weather, etc), you can ONLY use your ticket on the originating carrier. If the originating carrier DOES NOT have space available for you, you are essentially STUCK, unless you purchase a walk up ticket on another carrier (pretty darn expensive).

By purchasing directly from most airlines, the airline will ENDORSE your ticket to another carrier if that is the ONLY way to get you to your destination on time. Most likely, it will be one of their carrier "partners". Aer Lingus partners with AA, BA, Cathay Pacific and Qantas. Gives you lots of options to get to Rome on time.

Thanks greatam for such a clear answer. It is just what I thought. I have seen great one way fares on Aer Lingus to Rome via Dublin.....just have not been able to get much feedback on how Aer Lingus is.

Thanks,

Marty

Archived