Tell me I won't be disappointed.....

pugsammy

Hi All...We have sailed with RC many times....This will be our first with Carnival on Valor. After reading many threads here on various things, I'm already feeling a little disappointed. For instance, the room service thread got me thinking....We were able to order a full breakfast (bacon, eggs etc.) but on Carnival, it's only breads and such. No hot meals.....

Another....No wine package....This was always our first purchase when going on board. I've read Carnival doesn't have one. Is this true???

Please tell me that there things on this ship that will tell me I didn't make a mistake!!:(

Thanks!!!

I wouldn't say you made a mistake. But if there are things that are very important to you (i.e., dealbreakers) that you can't get on Carnival then you may be dissapointed. Look on the bright side, if they don't have a wine package you can still order wine. I wouldn't go on Carnival expecting RC nor would I go through my vacation comparing everything to RC. I'm not saying you would do that, but just offering my .02. Just go into it thinking, "I'm going to have a great time regardless."

If it turns out RC is better at least you know, but I bet you'll still have a blast this time around. Who knows, it may be that one is not better than the other, it's just that the 2 are different.

I agree with Newcastle. Don't let the little things ruin your cruise. For example, I just went on 2 cruises this summer. I first was on Princess and was happy to know that they had my favorite beer. When I got on Carnival three weeks later, it was not offered on Carnival. Was I disappointed? Yes. Did it ruin my cruise? Noway!! As you can see I enjoy Carnival very much.

Since we almost never order room service, I can't speak with any authority, but I am aware that the room service menu is somewhat limited on Carnival. As for the wine package thing; my experience has been that I can order individual bottles of wine in most cases on Carnival for less than a 4 or 6 bottle package on RCCI. Having said that, one can order wine ahead of time, and packages are available by contacting Carnival guest services at least 10 days prior to your sailing. Pricing and a wine menu is available on line at Carnival's website. I have sailed both lines a number of times and in most areas, they are quite comparable. I have sailed Carnival more simply because their pricing is almost always better than RCCI. Valor is a beautiful ship. I think you will enjoy sailing on her.

One thing that would tell me I didn't make a mistake, is the quality of the food. IMHO, Carnival's food is 100 times better.

I agree. This is one of the reasons I have choosen Carnival over RC in the past. But I have to admit, the last time I was on RC was in Nov of 2001 so things may have changed.

Pugsammy - Actually, the two lines are more similiar than different. I've been on both, and much prefer Carnival. We all have our preferences, but variety IS the spice of life! Wait until you board, and you'll find the same excitement as on any other cruise. Just don't start out comparing, and don't nitpick every little thing. ENJOY all there is to offer! There are many good things on each line - just a little different. SMILE! You'll be on a cruise!

Some things you might be happy with are the larger cabins, excellent bedding, wonderful food (I'm a retired chef from N.O.), and I appreciate the quality, presentation, and taste of Carnival's food offerings. Also, you can have complimentary espresso and cappuccino in the dining room for each meal - unlike RCCL, where I had to pay a dear price each time.

I think you'll find the service and entertainment on a par w/RCCL.

Please try to change your attitude before the cruise. You'll be leading yourself to a disappointing voyage before you get onto the ship. Think positive! Have fun!:)

Every cruise line excels at something. Carnival's food is fantastic and I love the atmostphere on the Lido. Room service has great "late night" sandwiches, (BLT UMMMM). If you are comparing already, you may be in for a letdown. Attitude is everything. It's a cruise, how bad can it be?

Pugsammy, I'd look forward to hearing a review when you get back, good or bad. Like in an earlier post I wrote, I haven't been on RC since 2001 so I'm curious as to what a more recent cruiser of RC thinks of Carnival. There were may great things about RC that I did love so a review of your trip on Carnival would provide valuable feedback for me. Thanks!

Don't worry about the wine packege. The wines on Carnival are priced slightly lower that the prices of the wines on RCCL. So even if you order ala carte it will still be close to the price per bottle you paid with the RCCL package. Plus not having the package, allows you to have cocktails on those nights you may not feel like a bottle of wine without disembarking with a bottle of leftover wine from the package that cost you 25.00, that in the supermarket on the way home is $8.00.

Hi All...We have sailed with RC many times....This will be our first with Carnival on Valor. After reading many threads here on various things, I'm already feeling a little disappointed. For instance, the room service thread got me thinking....We were able to order a full breakfast (bacon, eggs etc.) but on Carnival, it's only breads and such. No hot meals.....

Another....No wine package....This was always our first purchase when going on board. I've read Carnival doesn't have one. Is this true???

Please tell me that there things on this ship that will tell me I didn't make a mistake!!:(

Thanks!!!

OK...You won't be disappointed...Take the money you saved by booking with Carnival Vs RCCL and buy yourself some Wine.

As for Breakfast, send your significant other to the Lido to bring you back breakfast in bed.

Go on your Cruise and don't try to Compare and Analyze. Enjoy the Positives and try not to think about the negatives ( I bet you can come up with some negatives on you RCCL cruises ).

You are on vacation which you have paid good money for. Don't waste your money on regrets.;)

Thanks!!!

I am a little confused...Do you mean this is your first ever Carnival Cruise?

In the following thread you said you have sailed On Sensation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=248457:confused:

I have sailed RCCL and Carnival and love them both. I don't think one is better than the other and actually think they are very similar. Carnival usually has the better price, RC has the better room service menu. Carnival has the better food as far as I am concerned, RC has the best onboad "prizes." Carnival has the biggest rooms, RC has the best storage areas in the rooms.

I now choose my cruise between the two depending on the price, destination and what mood I am in.

Relax and have a great time.

Any cruise is better than no cruise!!

One of my favorite things about cruising is having a nice, quiet breakfast by myself on the Lido deck in the morning. I wake up before my family does and head to the Lido buffet for an omelet and some grapefruit. I usually eat right next to the window, or outside if the weather is nice. It's a great way to start the day. I then head back to the buffet and get food for my dh and kids, and they have breakfast in bed (which is one of THEIR highlights of cruising). Everybody wins :)

As for cruising on the Sensation...maybe it has been a while.

Anyway, to answer your question. We are Diamond members on RCCL, but we are switching to Carnival more often than not and it is becoming our choice over RCCL for many reasons.

Carnival has "Tea Time", free fresh made sushi bar, great entertainment (RCCL is starting to remove live music from it's ships), comfortable beds (they upgraded their bedding long before RCCL), more lax liquor smuggling so we can bring our own wine, more storage in the cabins...including more square feet in the cabins, etc.

We still love RCCL, however, they usually cost more and lately we have found their product is going downhill, rather than improving.

I can't wait for the Fantasy class improvements they are going to make at Carnival! We have been sticking to the Conquest Class because overall it is a more upgraded product, but with the new enhancements coming we will try some different ships. See: http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/Promos/evolutionsoffun/default.aspx?wt.mc_id=BHFlashEVOwaterPK080707 for more details.

I think if you look to be disappointed, think you're going to be disappointed, then you will. I personally love Carnival cruises & have always had a great time. My advice is to just relax & enjoy your trip. Don't focus on what RC has that Carnival doesn't. Just enjoy what they do have.

We have cruised with RCCL a lot, and are diamond members. This is only our 3rd cruise on CCL, but it's not because we were dissapointed, with either line. Both cruise lines have wonderful things about them, and you should come away with wonderful memories.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kathy

Archived