How far to walk to cable car in Santorini?

Could someone tell me how far and how difficult it is to to walk to the cable car at the port of Santorini? I have a bad back and use a cane for walking. Having read some of the raves about Oia I would like to see it but am afraid of all the walking etc. Any advice? Thanks

Dorothy

Could someone tell me how far and how difficult it is to to walk to the cable car at the port of Santorini? I have a bad back and use a cane for walking. Having read some of the raves about Oia I would like to see it but am afraid of all the walking etc. Any advice? Thanks

Dorothy

the ship will tender you in to the dock, about 50 mtrs from the cable car.

once reaching the top,it is a pleasent short walk down high st to the bus station,stop. You will be able to negotiate both trips with ease.

the ship will tender you in to the dock, about 50 mtrs from the cable car.

once reaching the top,it is a pleasent short walk down high st to the bus station,stop. You will be able to negotiate both trips with ease.

But you should be aware that there is a flight of steps up to the ticket booth at the bottom, and the 'platform' is itself a set of steps. And at the top the platform is again sloping (though perhaps not quite so much) and is therefore stepped, and that the ticket office and access to the cablecar is down a sloping passageway.

If it helps, I can tell you that I had no problems negotiating it. I was also walking with canes at the time, and had double knee replacement surgery since visiting Santorini. Just take your time - I think you'll find it is easier than perhaps you are thinking it will be.

But you should be aware that there is a flight of steps up to the ticket booth at the bottom, and the 'platform' is itself a set of steps. And at the top the platform is again sloping (though perhaps not quite so much) and is therefore stepped, and that the ticket office and access to the cablecar is down a sloping passageway.

If you can negotite a tender boat,steps to and from ,ride acros the water to port on to the jetty, then to the car and from should,n be a problem

Hello:

I too walk with the aid of a cane since I've had 2 spinal surgeries due to being run over by a SUV. Last August we stopped at Santorini & I was able to walk easily to & from the cable car. The walk to the bus station is a little further, but I took my time & made it with no trouble. Oia is also beautiful & again I walked slowly so it was not a problem. I'm leaving on Monday for another Meditteranean cruise & we're stopping in Santorini again & I will be walking in Santorini with my cane. Just take your time & you will have a wonderful time. It's such a beautiful Island.

Hello:

I too walk with the aid of a cane since I've had 2 spinal surgeries due to being run over by a SUV. Last August we stopped at Santorini & I was able to walk easily to & from the cable car. The walk to the bus station is a little further, but I took my time & made it with no trouble. Oia is also beautiful & again I walked slowly so it was not a problem. I'm leaving on Monday for another Meditteranean cruise & we're stopping in Santorini again & I will be walking in Santorini with my cane. Just take your time & you will have a wonderful time. It's such a beautiful Island.

Budd you are a great example to us all.

My OH who posted here has bad knees and is waiting to have replacements but boy does he get around cane or no cane, I have trouble keeping up with him.

Enjoy your cruise, Mrs Makem

Thanks so much for all your encouragement! If you all can do it, I can do it. :) So I will give it a try and do the best that I can. Thanks for the explanations as to what I can expect. That helps!

Santorini, here I come!

There is no need to walk to the bus station for OIA,there is a bus stop 2 streets across from the cable car,just ask attendant at the top,for direction.

1 good tip if u go there by bus,sometimes the driver will leave the terminus in OIA few minutes early.Timetable is posted where get off

1 caution to note. We took a Bus tour by Celebrity of Oia and Fira..when the bus dropped us off on the top of Fira there was an approx 1 mile uphill walk to actually get to the town of Fira. + another 1 mile walk to get back to the cable car. But getting from the Tender Boat to the cable car i dont beleive should be a problem.

have a great cruise

Archived