Snorkeling in Tortola

Wild Bill

Can any one recommend a good place to snorkel near the cruise ship dock? It looks like there is a sandy area to the left of the dock, with a reef just off shore, when I looked on Google Earth, can anyone verify that one way or the other?

Thanks!

I did not hear of anything near the dock, but a guidebook suggests a beach which is not that far. However, we loved the Baths excursion from Tortola, which also allows snorkeling, as well as the snorkel trip offered by Dive Tortola to various caves.

I guess you could snorkel just about anyplace including a swimming pool. I was surprised how much there is to see when snorkeling by just any beach. There's a whole different world under the water, it's worthwhile almost any clear beach you go to.

I am taking an excursion offered by the Carnival Miracle. It's called, appropriately enough, the Tortola Snorkeling Tour:

Here is your opportunity to snorkel in the waters surrounding the uninhabited and legendary Norman Island.

On this excursion you will:

* Take a 5-minute bus ride to the marina.

* Board a twin-engine snorkel launch and sail across the Sir Francis Drake Channel to one of the BVI’s premier snorkel sites.

* Snorkel the waters around the island immortalized in Robert Louis Stevenson’s famous book: Treasure Island.

* Lose yourself in the pristine surroundings of a wonderland of colorful coral formations, exotic fish and abundant marine life.

* Explore the caves at treasure point.

Note: Minimum age to participate is 5 years. You should be a confident swimmer as snorkeling will take place directly from a boat.

This looks like a great trip, not expensive, beautiful location, safe, etc. I am excited about it.

Tortola, can you give me the name of the beach that you said isn't far from the docks? Thanks!

Solo1959, That does sound like a nice excursion!

The reason we wanted to go near the ship pier is, we will have my 86 yr old mother with us, and didn't want to leave her for very long, with nothing to do. She really can't go on a different excursion by herself, so we thought she could hang out at the beach while we snorkel.

Thanks for your in put!

Kathy

Solo, please let me know how that excursion went. We are considering the same one in February.

Will do. February should be better than my upcoming September trip. Good possibility of much and dirt kicked up from storms and such, but February should be crystal clear. I'll let you know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived