First Time ?s

yarby

First time on NCL, first time to Alaska, and first time to post a thread

We want to cruise on the Pearl to Alaska next May, and after reviewing everything I still have a few ?s for the pros out there

1. Is there any advantage (other than maybe getting the exact room you want) to booking the cruise this far out? I have seen all the posts about NCL's policy on price drops, but I also like to book early.

2. Trying to decide between an AF mini-suite and a BA balcony. I know the room is a little bigger and a bathtub, but is the balcony bigger in a mini-suite? Are there just regular chairs or lounge chairs too? Any photos?

3. Lastly, I am confused about which part of the ship is the best for viewing Glacier Bay and the sights of Alaska --- an aft cabin, port side cabin, or starboard side.

Thanks for the help, and remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people asking the questions.

if you only want balcony viewing and the views to match what the park rangers are talking about (on the TV)..it's the port side. on the alaska port-of-call boards

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

the resident expert on alaska travels (budget queen) says either a forward or port balcony. aft views are great, but you gone get the stillness/guiet as the ship slowing approaches the glaciers. i am the one that tells the story of another ship coming up to the glacier and our ship turning and leaving..starboard side didn't get a view of the either of the 2 glaciers we stopped at.

we had a balcony room (on the NCL star, doing the glacier bay route)

just room for a small table and 2 chairs, no loungers. haven't seen a mini-suite.

advantage: getting the room you want, booking air early enough to get a good rate,. but if the rates go down, you may not be able to get the price drop. if you book later, the air fare may go up.

1. They will honor price drops if the price reduction isnt in conjunction with a new booking promotion or after final pamyent time.

2. 54 sf balcony on AF and 38 sf balcony in BA

3. Usually with the glaciers they turn the ship around kind of in a circle so there are good views from all places

Cant wait to go back to Alaska in two years! Loved my cruise there!

Here is a direct link to the thread that I think Toyz was referring to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=589412

I booked an aft starboard balcony on the Sun for the Sawyer Glacier ininerary, and now I am thoroughly confused and questioning my decision...

here's the picture of the other ship coming in. as our ship turned to get the starboard side a view..we turned away from the glacier. the other ship came up between us and the glacier. because of this, the ship didn't pause for the starboard side, it just left. in glacer bay you can only go 1-way...the ship stays close to the port side (left side) of the bay. you could see the shore without any binoculars. the ship goes so slow you don't get a wake. over TV and the loud speakers, the park rangers explain what you are seeing. the aft gets great views, just have to wait for them. the very, very best views are on the top decks. as the ship leaves, the starboard side gets the views, but not as slow and with no comments from the park rangers.

i suggest spending some time up on the open decks..the massive views of glacier/water/ice and mountains are outstanding.

http://www.alaskacruises.com/alaska_ports.asp?pageID=254

http://glacier-bay.gsfc.nasa.gov/maps/south.gif

572325691_JohnHopkinskidinpool.jpg.bbbfe3eba4a0aa2de043cddcca8dd35d.jpg

Archived