Did you sneak liquor on your cruise?

Happyladi

I havent ever brought anything onboard, but likely will bring a liter of something onboard this time as a result of Princess' recent change of offerings. Regarding packing booze, its the people making the stewards lug cases of beer/wine/liquor onboard that will ultimately end this for all, including those who exercise moderation.

I put the liquor in wine bottles and then sealed them up.. worked fine, i carried them through security in Brooklyn. Other people in my group packed it in their checked luggage, they had no issues.

When buying liquor at ports of call, just pack it inside a bookbag and they dont even flinch. Princess was very easy to get through. I even got some local beers and brought them onboard.

We made drinks in the rooms using tall drink glasses you get at the bar, and then walked around, no one cared.

Last time we cruised on the CB, April 07, my DH actually had mouthwash in the mouthwash bottle in his carry on and the screeners made a big deal of it. Since we drove to the port that time we had considered putting a bottle of rum in one carry on. As it worked out, we were kind of glad we didn't!

Cheers!

MLA

On our last cruise, our cruising companions invited us over to their room for pre-dinner cocktail. They pulled out one large piece of luggage and had a homemade bar. They must have brought about 8 or 9 different large bottles of liquor - all in the original plastic bottles with plastic caps. We drank rather liberally and were unable in seven days to completely finish it all! And still we had a large bar tab! YIKES!:eek:

I buy the one litre plastic bottles and seal them in a food saver bag. Never leaked. Also the small box of wine is great and packs nicely, also in food saver!

we are just back from crown princess 8/1/07. we packed a suitcase of beer in it's own suitcase-cushioned with foam and bubble wrapped and placed in a plastic bag-got thru to the room safe and sound. we also packed in our luggage a box of cabernet, and 4 liter bottles of gin. i work in an operating room so i took our liter plastic bottles that we have sterile saline in. we always pack our own, then we don't hesitate spending more on any specialty drinks and cappucino's. in san juan, those in our party walked right on with rums bought at the bacardi factory-in the factory carry on boxes and bags and no one collected it or cared to!

OMG - How do you sneak that booze into the OR?

Last time we cruised on the CB, April 07, my DH actually had mouthwash in the mouthwash bottle in his carry on and the screeners made a big deal of it. Since we drove to the port that time we had considered putting a bottle of rum in one carry on. As it worked out, we were kind of glad we didn't!

Cheers!

MLA

For our last cruise we used a mouthwash bottle to put Rum in thinking that was the only way to get any alcohol on board. After reading this post, I am beginning to think it doesn't matter what you bring or how you bring it. We thought we were really smart with our plan. Untill... we took one taste of the stuff and it tasted like listerine :eek: YUK! Never again!

Always have always will. we bring a bottle of vodka, a bottle of vermouth, a jar of olives sutffed with onions, a bottle of brandy, a bottle of port, and 3-4 bottles of champagne. Never had a problem. It is packing, not sneaking!!!!

We have a "beer" suitcase that we've taken onboard with our carry-ons with no problems the last three Princess Cruises. All they can do is tell you "No".

We manage to spend a fair amount at the bars as well. My husband just likes to open the fridge and get a beer....like he does at home.

Always have always will. we bring a bottle of vodka, a bottle of vermouth, a jar of olives sutffed with onions, a bottle of brandy, a bottle of port, and 3-4 bottles of champagne. Never had a problem. It is packing, not sneaking!!!!

Darn, remind me to cruise with you one of these days (hic) :D

I agree with many of the other posters. In our case, Princess no longer carries the brand of liquor my husband drinks -- plain and simple. If we choose to bring some in a rum runner (packed INSIDE a zip lock), it is merely because Princess doesn't provide the product. We still buy the coke card and other miscellaneous drinks along the way. In our case, it is not a matter of being cheap or tacky, but one of preference.

I agree with many of the other posters. In our case, Princess no longer carries the brand of liquor my husband drinks -- plain and simple. If we choose to bring some in a rum runner (packed INSIDE a zip lock), it is merely because Princess doesn't provide the product. We still buy the coke card and other miscellaneous drinks along the way. In our case, it is not a matter of being cheap or tacky, but one of preference.

I agree with this 100%

The only thing that I would add is that prior to the latest change to their policy, one was able to order a full sized bottle of various types and brands of booze from room service. Of course, some 'brands,' were not available; however, one had many more choices, then they do now with the 'package' types, that room service offers now. (Especially with Whiskey, the choices are dismal!)

So, I'll continue to take my brand, Woodford Reserve Kentucky Whiskey in my checked luggage. :D ;)

Surely, among all of you hooch smugglers there must be a story similar, if not exactly like the following:

"I managed to sneak on 4 cases of beer, 3 liters of premium vodka, 2 liters of rum and a pint of Old Crow. I was happy as a clam, but after my 4th beer it suddenly dawned on me that I had left the bags with my clothes, at home in the bedroom."

I am wondering how many people sneak liquor aboard to enjoy in their own cabins. If you did, did you leave it in the orginal bottle or put it into something else?

To answer the question, yes.

Now for the physics lesson. The vast majority of AIRPLANE luggage compartments are unpressurized, but heated. As the plane climbs in altitude, the air pressure drops around your bag drops. This affects any watertight container with liquid AND an air bubble. Your store bought bottle of water is the best example. From the factory, here is a very small bubble under the cap. At altitude, the small bubble has grown to four or five times it’s size. The plastic bottle has become distorted due to this pressure. If the bottle were t be opened in mid flight, not much would happen since the bottle would remain distorted.

Now lets return to the subject of hard liquor that is sold in glass bottles. The same conditions exist, except that the glass bottle does not distort. Looking at the bottle, the bubble is the same size as when the bottle was bought in the store. However, air can compress, liquid does not. The best example of this is your everyday bottle of Coke. When you first open it, more air comes out than that little bubble you see at the top.

This brings us back to the subject of smuggled booze. First, the bottle itself is not designed for internal pressure, but the glass is thick enough and the sealed cap is on secure enough to handle the slight pressure of that small bubble. The problem is people pack that bottle they have been using and is less than half full. The cap is put on, but not as tight as the factory. That small bubble is now say half or two thirds of the entire bottle. Take that bottle up four or five miles in the air and guess what, it explodes. Or in the case of a hard sided plastic flask, the seam splits.

:rolleyes:

I am wondering how many people sneak liquor aboard to enjoy in their own cabins. If you did, did you leave it in the orginal bottle or put it into something else?

We usually place it in the suit cases prior to boarding. We have never had a problem. Some people like to put it into coloured gingerale bottles etc.:rolleyes:

Surely, among all of you hooch smugglers there must be a story similar, if not exactly like the following:

"I managed to sneak on 4 cases of beer, 3 liters of premium vodka, 2 liters of rum and a pint of Old Crow. I was happy as a clam, but after my 4th beer it suddenly dawned on me that I had left the bags with my clothes, at home in the bedroom."

Sort of like the post from vamcd earlier in this thread! For a moment I thought the person was opening their own lounge.:D

Jeepchick,

No, we don't bring a bottle of vodka to our favorite steakhouse because they carry our brand or it wouldn't be our favorite steakhouse! Princess room service does not carry what we like.

Archived