Royal Hawaiian Luau

DREAMER7

We will probably try it in 2 weeks. This is the only luau I have found that I feel reasonably sure we can make it back to the ship on time. (Princess has an excursion but it takes 11 hours - sounds like too much fun for me).

The Royal Hawaiian is on my list to see anyway from the WWII books I have read. Apparently they only have luaus on Mondays and Thursdays and this works for our ship's schedule. Maybe only doing it twice per week rather than every night the food and entertainment will be a little 'fresher'. Maybe.

The Oahu Revealed guide was not too enamored with the show at the Royal Hawaiian. There are lots of threads regarding luaus so you should search "luau" and see what's there.

As an alternative, you might want to do what my wife and I are planning. I noticed in another thread that you will be staying at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. They have a show called "Creation-A Polynesian Journey". You can go to just the show or to dinner and the show. We've made reservations for the Standard Dinner Show. The price shows $69.50, but there is a 25% discount coupon shown on the site. When I called and said we were staying there, I was told I didn't need to bring the coupon and they will give me the 25% off. So $52pp for a night's entertainment with dinner is a pretty good deal, and we don't have to leave the hotel. Plus, the reviews I've read about the show have been very good.

http://www.princess-kaiulani.com/de_creation.htm

We did the Royal Hawaiian Luau in March 2005. Be aware the show was only on Mondays, but according their webiste also on Thursday till December.. If you book through the Royal Hawaiian website there is 20% discount.

http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/de_luau.htm

The location is great with view over Waikiki Beach. Royal Hawaiian is a beautiful classic hotel. The food was quite good. We had done this Luau about 20 years ago and had the impression it was better at that time. Still it is a nice evening, but like all Luaus a little expensive for what they offer.

We LOVED the Royal Hawaiian Luau in Jine of 2006!! The food was great, show SPECTACULAR-loved the fire dancers!!, and the drinks very potent. Also, you could not beat the gorgeous setting right by Kaanapali Beach! We got in line very early and DH and I took turns. We ended up with seats right next to the stage so I am sure our great seats helped us enjoy our Hawaiian luau expeience even more. I used to work at Disney World and saw their luau plus another in Daytona Beach and our Maui one at the Royal Hawaiian was FABULOUS compared to either of those! So glad we chose to attend the Royal Hawaaian Luau!!

We LOVED the Royal Hawaiian Luau in Jine of 2006!! The food was great, show SPECTACULAR-loved the fire dancers!!, and the drinks very potent. Also, you could not beat the gorgeous setting right by Kaanapali Beach! We got in line very early and DH and I took turns. We ended up with seats right next to the stage so I am sure our great seats helped us enjoy our Hawaiian luau expeience even more. I used to work at Disney World and saw their luau plus another in Daytona Beach and our Maui one at the Royal Hawaiian was FABULOUS compared to either of those! So glad we chose to attend the Royal Hawaaian Luau!!

The Royal Hawaiian Luau in on Waikiki (Oahu) in the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, NOT on Kaanapali which is on Maui. In Maui you probably mean the Royal Lahaina Luau....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ben Cruisin'

Thanks for the "go for it" on Royal Hawaiian Luau.

Was this an intimate setting or were there hundreds of people at the luau?

What time does the sun set there now? Less than 28 days and we'll be where you are! HA! Looking so forward to our 1st time to Hawaii.

• 2 weeks later...

We attended the RH Luau 8/23/07. I can't compare since this was my first and only luau. But I can tell you how it was and what I liked.

First of all, I got a 20% off coupon from the RH website so we got in for $79 each. I like coupons.

The luau was well organized without feeling herded like cattle. There was a line to be seated, but that was it. When it came time to eat, they took you to the buffet in groups, so the line was 4 or 5 instead of 50.

You sit on the lawn behind the RH and eat at banquet-type tables and sit in folding chairs. Tablecloths, cloth napkins, real plates and silverware.

Face it. At a mass feed for 300 +or- people, you are not going to get gourmet food. The food I had was at least decent to good. Nothing was bad. The huli-luli chicken was very good. And all items were neatly labeled, which was good for a newbie from Atlanta. One dab of poi was enough for both my wife and myself.

The band played while we ate and the show (45 minutes?) was entertaining. Rebecca deMornay was nice enough to eat with us that night and even dance on stage. Wish I was a better photographer! We were at the back and could see the show fine. Not a bad seat in the house.

The setting was fantastic. You walk through the RH out on the lawn facing the ocean and the band/stage. The beach starts 5 feet behind the stage and the ocean 30 feet later. If you sit on the right hand side, you can probably see Diamond Head from your chair. I did have to get up and walk 40 feet to see around the Bar (not part of the luau) but then I got to see surfers and sailboats in the bay. Sunset, my favorite time of day, was 7:30ish. The stage was lit by tiki torches and we were lit by a 3/4 moon shining down through the palm frons. This was my favorite part of the trip.

The RH only has luaus on Monday and Thursday nights. If I ever get back to Oahu, I am going to the RH at sunset with or without the luau.

The final thing I really liked was that the RH luau did not take a lot of effort. We returned our rental car and the shuttle driver asked what hotel we wanted to go to. I said RH and tada! Free 10 minute ride.

We were on the Regal Princess and Oahu was the only port where we sailed at 11:00pm instead of 6:00. Fortunately for us it was also a Thursday night so the RH worked. Princess had an excursion for more money to the Polynesian Cultural Center that left at noon and returned 10:00pm or so. I am sure I missed something by not seeing the PCC, but I alo missed a 1.5 hour bus ride each way as well. (The PCC is on the NE corner of Oahu and the cruise port in the southern end). We were able to rent a car, wait 2.5 hours to see the Pearl Harbor Memorial, eat at the Dole Plantation (don't), drive to the North Shore and hustle back for the luau. Then a 15 minute ($15.50 for 4 people) taxi back to the ship before 10:00.

Like I said, go for it!

Thank you so much for the indepth review of the RH Luau. We will do our best to sit on the right side facing the stage. I will print this out for "our gang" to read. We plan on visiting the Dole Plantation and grabbing a "pineapple whip" while were there. Did you happen to eat one?

Just a few more days and we'll be on our way!

At the Dole Plantation, the pineapple whip was excellent. Wish I could get one here at home. The sandwiches were just 'tourist food' in my opinion.

'Shave Ice' is another biggie in Hawaii, similar to a snow cone in Georgia. If you continue north on the same road past the Dole Plantation to the north shore (and maybe turn left where it dead ends), you will see a store on the right called 'Matsumoto's'. My wife has a friend who raved about the shave ice there and wanted a t-shirt so we stopped. It was not my personal favorite but there must have been 20 people in line for the shave ice at an off time so I must be a minority opinion.

If you want something off the wall, on Kauai look for the Savage Shrimp truck right outside Poipu beach at the intersection of Lawai and Hoonani under a big tree. There are only 3 or 4 dishes on the menu. We had the garlic shrimp and it was delicious. The only problem is the shrimp are deveined but not peeled. Would have been nice to know on the first bite!

If you get a chance, post and let me know what you think about the RH Luau. Have a great trip!

I'll do my best in letting you know how our family of 11 enjoyed the luau.

We'll also grab a pineapple whip, a shaved ice at Matsumoto's and maybe even some shrimp from the shrimp truck...keeping in mind they might not be peeled.

Thanks so much for all your information.

Just 10 days we'll be on our way to Hawaii!

Dreams really do come true!

Archived