How often is Grand Cayman canceled

Jade13

because of weather? Where do most ships go instead?

We just booked Celebrity Century 5 night in February. The only stops are Key West and Grand Cayman. I believe because of the Jones Act the ship has to stop somewhere outside of the US.

How often is this port canceled in February?

I have no idea what the Jones Act has to say about weather cancelling a stop.

Normally if GC is missed, the ships just spend an extra day at sea. There is no other alternative close by unless the ship can make the decision well in advance. Then perhaps... maybe... possibly... they could arrange another port. Given your schedule the other possibilities would be the Yucatan ports down to possibly Belize.

Jade13 you pose an interesting question. Because of the Jones Act I suspect they would need to substitute another port unless a weather cancellation provides a satisfactory exemption to the Act.

I would really appreciate an answer to this question too since we have booked a wedding on Grand Cayman for the week after (Feb 12th).:D

Since we have a very small wedding party (2 adults /2 children) and wedding insurance, it won't be a complete disaster if we don't make it - but I would like to have some idea of the probability of making it /not making it during that time of year...even a rough guide will do ; ie. is it more or less likely than other times of the year...just how common an occurance is this ..once a week, once a month, etc....

Thanks for any help you can give me on this......I have tried asking the cruise line involved.... and predicably they were unable (or unwilling !) to say.

I would really appreciate an answer to this question too since we have booked a wedding on Grand Cayman for the week after (Feb 12th).:D

Since we have a very small wedding party (2 adults /2 children) and wedding insurance, it won't be a complete disaster if we don't make it - but I would like to have some idea of the probability of making it /not making it during that time of year...even a rough guide will do ; ie. is it more or less likely than other times of the year...just how common an occurance is this ..once a week, once a month, etc....

Thanks for any help you can give me on this......I have tried asking the cruise line involved.... and predicably they were unable (or unwilling !) to say.

Wow, you are a risk taker. You have booked your wedding based on a cruise short stop on this Island? What is your back-up plan? Which cruise line? My Guess would be its more of a problem in the fall during hurricane season.

Yes, we realise there is an element of risk so the plan is that if we don't make the cruise stop we will take a 7 day holiday out there end of May ...flying there of course !!!

Luckily we are in no great rush to marry (2nd time around for me), our only guests are us two, and my 2 children ....so I guess we can live with postponing better than most. Also, as long as we accept from the beginning that we may be unlucky with the weather, that will go a long way towards not being too disappointed if it does happen.

We had originally reserved a wedding slot on the Disney cruiseliner that we will still be arriving on...however, the more I looked into it, the more I got uncomfortable with the fact that we would actually have to have our wedding in a back room at the port before we sailed, since they are unable to perform 'official' weddings on board. Also we had hoped to be 'married' on their private island but this slot was already taken, so getting married on board was always going to be second best.

Always the optimist, if we miss our tendering , what a perfect excuse for another wonderful holiday ;)

Yes, we realise there is an element of risk so the plan is that if we don't make the cruise stop we will take a 7 day holiday out there end of May ...flying there of course !!!

Luckily we are in no great rush to marry (2nd time around for me), our only guests are us two, and my 2 children ....so I guess we can live with postponing better than most. Also, as long as we accept from the beginning that we may be unlucky with the weather, that will go a long way towards not being too disappointed if it does happen.

We had originally reserved a wedding slot on the Disney cruiseliner that we will still be arriving on...however, the more I looked into it, the more I got uncomfortable with the fact that we would actually have to have our wedding in a back room at the port before we sailed, since they are unable to perform 'official' weddings on board. Also we had hoped to be 'married' on their private island but this slot was already taken, so getting married on board was always going to be second best.

Always the optimist, if we miss our tendering , what a perfect excuse for another wonderful holiday ;)

Well, I hope you have a beautiful day!

We got married in Nantucket on the beach by the Lighthouse in late October one year. We lucked out as there wasn't really anyone there on a Sunday and it was 70 degrees. Of course the backup was at the Inn...

I wouldn't do a back room at a port either.....

Archived