Capri - 6 hours on a Sunday-What to Do?

We will be arriving in Naples on a Sunday. We have done the Amalfi coast and Pompeii, so we wanted to see Capri this time. It appears that the hydrofoils run later on Sundays, than on normal weekdays. I think the first one is around 7:55 a.m. and the other is just after 8 a.m. Since it takes 40 minutes to get there, we should be there a little before 9a.m. and I think we plan on taking the 3:25 p.m. hydrofoil back to Naples. What is feasable to see and do in a little over six hours?

I want to make sure if we book the return at 3:25 that we make that hydrofoil, or is it possible to book a later hydrofoil and get on an earlier one if there is room?

Thanks for your help.

We recently took a three hour boat tour around Capri. It was one of the best travel experiences we've ever had. I wrote afull report on my blog: A A perfect travel day? I'll take half.

Re the boat time -- I'veheard that you can get on an earlier boat, but I don't have that as a fact. Know though, that our boat actually left *earlier* than it was supposed to. Luckily we had boarded 20 minutes earlier (as Rick Steves recommended ;) ) and were fine. It seems like once the boat is full, it takes off.

Not sure what time of year you are going, but keep in mind that Capri can get very crowded very fast. I was there on RCI's Brilliance in late June. There were 2 other large ships in Naples, and it was a Sunday, so there were many Italians visiting as well. By the time I reached the island around 9am, the lines for the funicular and the bus to Ana-Capri were incredibly long.

Since it was the end of a 24-day cruise for me, I waved the white flag and went back to the ship.

Not sure what time of year you are going, but keep in mind that Capri can get very crowded very fast. I was there on RCI's Brilliance in late June. There were 2 other large ships in Naples, and it was a Sunday, so there were many Italians visiting as well. By the time I reached the island around 9am, the lines for the funicular and the bus to Ana-Capri were incredibly long.

Since it was the end of a 24-day cruise for me, I waved the white flag and went back to the ship.

Thanks for the response. We will be there in the later part of September. I don't mind doing a lot of walking. I just want to know how much time to get from one place to another so I don't miss the hydrofoil back to the ship. If I go to Ana-Capri, then I need to know how much time to allow to get back to Capri. Hopefully the crowds might be less in September.

We recently took a three hour boat tour around Capri. It was one of the best travel experiences we've ever had. I wrote afull report on my blog: A A perfect travel day? I'll take half.

Re the boat time -- I'veheard that you can get on an earlier boat, but I don't have that as a fact. Know though, that our boat actually left *earlier* than it was supposed to. Luckily we had boarded 20 minutes earlier (as Rick Steves recommended ;) ) and were fine. It seems like once the boat is full, it takes off.

I had actually heard of the company that you took your tour on and passed it on to some other cruisers. I was going to try and go it alone on touring, but this looks really fun. Also it looks like you did do some walking of the towns too. How much time did you spend on the land and what did you do?

Gail

My wife and I did this on our honeymoon - the hotel we stayed at on Capri had two boats - one sail, one power - and we chartered the powerboat.

We did go into the Blue Grotto (having transfered from our 50' Baia into the little boats, who all abandoned the regular tourists to see us) and thought that it was magical.

We then went across to Positano, looking at the scenery on the way, had a quick drink and then sped back at 32 knots!

It was truly wonderful. I'm tempted to try the same again when we're in Naples for the day this October......

Matthew

I had actually heard of the company that you took your tour on and passed it on to some other cruisers. I was going to try and go it alone on touring, but this looks really fun. Also it looks like you did do some walking of the towns too. How much time did you spend on the land and what did you do?

Gail

We were on Capri from maybe 10 till 3:30. If you do only the boat tour, you don't have to take the funicular up. We waited forever to buy the funicular tickets (*past* the line to actually get onthe funicular-- important to know) and then to get on the funicular. We ended up with perhaps an hour up top before we had to come back down to meet our boat for the tour.

I tihnkif I had to do it over I'd stick with the boat. Capri was lovely, but if you've been to many Italian towns already it's not that different (other than the views). The most incredible part of the day was swimming the Green Grotto.

Archived