Sapphire or Coki Beach-Small children

Dollingdoc

Hi,

We have decided to take a tour with Sunny or Godfrey, but we are not sure which beach to go to. Sapphire sounds beautiful but rocky. Coki sounds nice for the kids but I have heard that it is dirty and that unsavory locals hang out there. Can anyone help me?

Are there good food choices at both beaches?

Rentals, umbrellas, snorkel equipment?

Restrooms.

We leave in 6 days I have to choose. We were thinking of Coki so that we could do Coral for an hour and the beach for the next hour.

Thanks in advance,

Laney

Our children were 11 and 9 when we chose Coki for their first swim and snorkel in the Caribbean Sea. It was perfect. The water was crystal clear and the fish swam right up to us. We have never been to Sapphire so I can not compare the two.

Karysa

We took a taxi cab to Coki beach as soon as we got off the ship. when we got there, we were the only ones there, and we were in a pretty "slummy" looking area. besides that, though, the beach was beautiful. chrystal clear water, great snorkeling right off the beach, and a terrific view. all the locals there were very friendly, and all the different vendors were trying to get us to eat at their shack. eventually, the beach filled up, but it was definitely not "crowded". there were rentable lounge chairs(5$), umbrellas, and snorkel equipment. and coral world is just 100 feet or so from our chairs. i highly recommend coki beach.

Hi,

We have decided to take a tour with Sunny or Godfrey, but we are not sure which beach to go to. Sapphire sounds beautiful but rocky. Coki sounds nice for the kids but I have heard that it is dirty and that unsavory locals hang out there. Can anyone help me?

Are there good food choices at both beaches?

Rentals, umbrellas, snorkel equipment?

Restrooms.

We leave in 6 days I have to choose. We were thinking of Coki so that we could do Coral for an hour and the beach for the next hour.

Thanks in advance,

Laney

Both beaches are nice and kid-friendly. At times Sapphire can get waves which may be intimidating to young kids. But there are plenty of areas from where you enter the water without fear of stepping on rocks. With young kids, Coki may be your best option due to the proximity of Coral World.

Both beaches have a drop-off where when you step into the water it will be about 2 feet deep.

If the conditions at either Magen's, Coki, or Sapphire are not optimal, Godfrey then takes folks to Secret Harbour, which is also a lovely beach with calm water and plenty of shade.

You can rent umbrellas at Coki. Sapphire has plenty of natural shade so you won't need umbrellas. But you may want to rent chairs from there, if that's where you decide to go.

I have photos of Sapphire, Coki, and other beaches here: http://lrichters.smugmug.com/Travel/162954

having been to most of the beaches in st.thomas sapphire beach gets my vote. great snorkeling - a sea turtle family lives right there in the cove - beautiful views of st.john, tortola, jost van dyke, and very calm warm waters. also sapphire tends to be less crowded than coki or megans. my 2nd choice would be secret harbour - also very calm, great snorkeling.

Archived