Snorkel Cozumel

tocruiseguy

We will be cruising on Mariner of the Seas later this month (first ever) and are planning on snokeling in Cozumel, has anyone taken the "Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach Break" RCCL excursion or the "Punta Sur Eco Park & Snorkel Safari excursion? Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

We will be cruising on Mariner of the Seas later this month (first ever) and are planning on snokeling in Cozumel, has anyone taken the "Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach Break" RCCL excursion or the "Punta Sur Eco Park & Snorkel Safari excursion? Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't been on either of these "excursions', but if the snorkel boat actually goes to Punta Sur Reef, book it!!!

Punta Sur is outstanding, better even than Columbia and Palancar reefs and they're world class.

But before I went, I'd need to know more about the "Safari" part of it.:rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Boyfriend and I are novice divers, and were a little iffy about booking a drift dive in Cozumel. So - we've decided to try out snorkeling in Cozumel, but have no clue where to go.

I read a review saying Paradise Beach is in pretty rough shape from Dean - the beach is rocky and dirty. We were thinking of cabbing it there, and using our own equipment for snorkeling, but are thinking better of it.

I agree - I would want to know what the "safari" part of the excursion is.

What would be perfect, would be a pretty beach that's not been destroyed by the hurricanes, with access to some nifty snorkeling spots, so we could go at our leisure. If there happens to be a bar and some nice amenities at the beach, that wouldn't hurt!

• 2 weeks later...

Palancar Beach is very nice and not crowded when I was there last March. It's @ 20 minute taxi from town. Easy to get back. There's always a taxi rank at the beach. There's an al fresco cafe/bar and a loo.

I can't vouch for the beach snorkeling there. Our only boat stopped there for lunch.

I doubt you'll find any beach snorkeling comparabloe to pre-Wilma. She destroyed all the near shore coral. There are still fish in the rocky regions. If you want to snorkel, your best bet is a boat trip. There are a number of good independent operators at Coz. No need to take one of the cruise ship cattle boats.

I have used Eagle Ray Divers.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

Their two reef snorkel stays close to shore. The three reef takes most of the day and usually goes to Columbia and Palancar Reefs. Eagle Ray's dock is next to El Presidente Hotel as are most of the other operators.

Assume you liked Eagle Ray? Did you go for the 2 or 3 snorkel trip? Anything you'd do differently?

DH and I plan to snorkel here on the 11/24 Sun cruise and we have yet to decide what tour to book. Any help is appreciated! We don't mind spending a bit more to get a great trip!

:):):) ninkb

Boyfriend and I are novice divers, and were a little iffy about booking a drift dive in Cozumel. So - we've decided to try out snorkeling in Cozumel, but have no clue where to go.

I read a review saying Paradise Beach is in pretty rough shape from Dean - the beach is rocky and dirty. We were thinking of cabbing it there, and using our own equipment for snorkeling, but are thinking better of it.

I agree - I would want to know what the "safari" part of the excursion is.

What would be perfect, would be a pretty beach that's not been destroyed by the hurricanes, with access to some nifty snorkeling spots, so we could go at our leisure. If there happens to be a bar and some nice amenities at the beach, that wouldn't hurt!

I talked to PB the other day on the board and asked them about their snorkeling. They say that if you are novice and just want to see lots of colorful fish, you can see those out by their pier, but if you are looking for more reef and sealife check out Dzul Ha, which is between the ship's pier and PB. I have done some internet research and it is supposedly some of the best "BEACH SNORKELING" in the Caribbean.

I think my family may stop there for a while, then continue on down to PB. The best part of Dzul Ha is it is FREE. Hope that helps.

Buffalo Bum, thanks for the sage advice! I read some about Dzul Ha, and it looks right up our alley! We have the booties from our diving gear, and could wear those since the shore is rocky. We may split our time between Dzul Ha and one of the beachier places. Wouldn't mind laying in some white sand, too, during the day.. and it doesn't look like Dzul had much of that to offer.

Our other option was just to go to Playa del Carmen for the day.. maybe do some shopping and check out Mamita's beach club. Although - I don't think there is anything to see as far as snorkeling goes over there. I could be wrong... but I didn't get the feeling that there was much more than a sandy beach.

We just did the Punta Sur eco park and safari last week. They call it a safari I guess because you ride in an open sided truck on the way to the eco park. The road to the park has the beach on one side and some rain forest type terrain on the other side. We stopped at a section of the beach that is a turtle sanctuary but only saw spots that were marked as nests. No one is allowed on the beach. Next stop was some brackish water where we saw salt water crocks. After that is was a climb up the lighthouse where the veiw was just amazing. The last stop is at a beach where you snorkel. We didn't see as many fish as I hoped we would but I'd say it was average. The beach views were absolutely amazing though. For me it was prettier than Hawaii! Just my .02 cents!

Archived