Maui - No car

txn_crzn

We'll be in Maui (Kahului) and we're thinking about not renting a car b/c the first morning we want to do a snorkel trip and on the second day we're booked for a the sunrise bike tour. We're wondering if there's enough to do close to the pier after those excursions. Beaches, shops, or any other suggestions you might have! Is this a good plan or should we just rent a car?!

We'll be renting a car when we get back to Maui (Lahaina) a couple of days later...so we'll be able to tour the island then.

We'll be in Maui (Kahului) and we're thinking about not renting a car b/c the first morning we want to do a snorkel trip and on the second day we're booked for a the sunrise bike tour. We're wondering if there's enough to do close to the pier after those excursions. Beaches, shops, or any other suggestions you might have! Is this a good plan or should we just rent a car?!

We'll be renting a car when we get back to Maui (Lahaina) a couple of days later...so we'll be able to tour the island then.

On your first day, you are planning a snorkle trip. Most of those trips go out of the Lahaina section of the island. How long is your trip? If you are free in the PM, you might want a car. On your second day, I assume your sunrise bike tour is to watch the sunrise on the Haleakala (which is really amazing IF the weather is clear) and then bike down. You are talking about getting up very early and then exercising rather vigorously--your senses as well as your body! You might want to consider a nap (!) rather than further exploration later that day, especially since you will be in the Lahaina area at the end of your cruise. If you do not take that 1st-day snorkle trip, you could rent a car and "do" the road to Hana. That's a great all-day adventure. And if you should decide to take that drive, stop in Paia, just before the road to Hana, to pick up a picnic and water/soft drinks. There are no services on the road--just beauty!

An aside, one of best, if not THE best, restaurants on Maui (some say in the whole of Hawaii) is Mama's Fish House--just outside the little town of Paia, a short driving distance from Kahului. Reservations are necessary (make them online if you can before you leave home); dress is casual. The food and setting are great! check out www.mamasfishhouse.com

Enjoy!!:)

so it would be a better plan to snorkel when we dock in Lahaina? i was thinking of doing the snorkel tour through Robert's hawaii and they said they pick up from the dock. not sure which dock though. haven't booked it yet...waiting to see which is the best way to go.

after the bike tour we plan to just rest and relax! that's why we didn't want to deal with renting and returning a car.

thx for the advice.

so it would be a better plan to snorkel when we dock in Lahaina? i was thinking of doing the snorkel tour through Robert's hawaii and they said they pick up from the dock. not sure which dock though. haven't booked it yet...waiting to see which is the best way to go.

after the bike tour we plan to just rest and relax! that's why we didn't want to deal with renting and returning a car.

thx for the advice.

Roberts may take you to the Lahaina area for snorkeling. I don't know how many days you will spend in the Lahaina area at the end of your cruise. Maui is so full of wonderful things to do that it really doesn't matter, necessarily, when you do them! It wasn't until our 3rd trip that we finally found the time to drive the road to Hana. No matter how you schedule your exploration of Maui, you will have a fantastic time!

Kauai has become our favorite of all the islands. Be sure to take full advantage of your time there....

:) :) :)

We're wondering if there's enough to do close to the pier after those excursions. Beaches, shops, or any other suggestions you might have!

To answer this question, there is nothing to do close to the pier in Kahului. The port is a fairly industrial area that's not going to entertain you. Your only option without a car or a plan is to hop a walmart or kmart or Hilo Hattie's shuttle and go "shopping".

Kauai has become our favorite of all the islands. Be sure to take full advantage of your time there....

After only one trip to Hawaii I have to agree with this already. On the flight back DW was already talking about when we'd go back to Kauai.

i think we've decided to go with doing a snorkel excursion in Kona rather than in Maui now...based on some reviews i've been reading and the time constraints. so then we'll have time to go get a rental car and explore maui on our own!

thanks for the advice. less than a month to go!!! can't wait!

Just a note that more snorkel excursions leave from Ma'alaea than from Lahaina. The Lanai all-day snorkels usually leave from Lahaina and there are a few others, but the bulk of the Molokini excursions leave from Ma'alaea, which is much closer to Kahului than Lahaina/Ka'anapali (or Wailea/Makena, where a few excursions depart).

Not that it helps determine whether a car rental is best, but FYI.

Also, the road to Hana, while lovely, isn't exactly a relaxing day. If they have a sunrise bike ride down Haleakala, I wouldn't necessarily recommend Hana the day before. It's an all day deal and quite tiring for whoever drives. (IMO and my DH's, the road to Hana is not a must do for cruises because port time is usually fairly limited and the road takes a big chunk of it. I only recommend it for those who absolutely love long, scenic drives. There's much of Maui that is beautiful, but that won't take the whole day.)

beachchick

Archived