where is good scuba in Belize

divingfool

We booked a noncertified 2 tank dive through CoralBreeze Tours/Hammerhead Water Sports. After our onboard and underwater instruction, we took two 40 minute dives down to 40 feet. Lots of fish over the reef. On our second dive, we saw a 3 legged turtle, two big Spotted Eagle Rays and a ten foot Nurse shark. We got within 4 - 5 feet of each of them. Got great pictures. The guys with Hammerhead Water Sports, Tim, Mark and Mark, were great.

Unfortunately for my wife and daughter, but not me, they only got to shop for 30 minutes because of the length of time it took to get to our dive site and back.

Have a great time in Belize

• 1 month later...

I dove with Sea Sports Belize (booked through the Internet) on 9/13/07 while in port with the CCL Legend. The dive shop was about 2 blocks away from the pier once I got out of the tourism village, so it was an easy walk lugging my gear. However, I did have to contend with/deny several beggars and "tour guides" along the way. The shop and staff run a professional operation. The small, open boat is docked right behind the shop and was crewed by 3: the Captain, Divemaster Eli, and a divemaster candidate (Jorge, I believe) who was assisting to meet the requirements of his certification. We took about a 20 minute ride out to St. George's Key to pick up a couple from their resort before heading to our first dive site: Fish Trap. There had been a storm the night before so the water was a little murky, but we still had at least 50' visability and dove to about a 70' depth. After a short surface interval during which lunch was provided (sandwich, bag of chips, cookies and soda/water) we headed to Grouper Grotto for our second dive. Both dives were similar (and as wonderful) as has been my experience in other Caribbean locations, and Eli was very good at pointing out numerous creatures and formations of interest. After dropping the other couple off we returned to the dive shop where I used the fresh water tank to rinse my gear, showered, and changed. They then returned me to the tender pier by boat. I would certainly have no problem diving with them again, and my only complaint would be the cost compared to other Caribbean locations: $110 (plus tip). This is probably because there is only one other dive shop (I believe) in Belize City itself, so the law of supply and demand applies. Otherwise, you'll have to either fly or take a ferry to get to some of the other shops on the various keys/islands in the area. I shunned those choices because of the transit time and higher cost, but I suppose if you have your heart set on diving the "Blue Hole" you'll have no other choice. Hope this helps, and that you have a great dive.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review Alan.

We are going to Belize in a few short months, and I'm trying to decide on which dive to do. The atoll (sp?) dive isn't populating on the Belize shore excursions list, (although another dive has), so I had this dive shop as second choice. I have read good things about them.

We were in Belize in August and had a fantastic dive. We booked through www.shoretrips.com the Amergris Cay Fly & Dive. What a fantastic day. We would do it again in a hearbeat. It was the 4 of us and a divemaster and a boat captain. Saw so many sharks that we stopped counting. The flight over & back on the little plane was great too!

Archived