Baby-related questions

Baxter

We just booked a 5-night cruise on the Elation for the beginning of September. It is the 1st time cruising with our little one (she will be 11 months then), and we have a few questions:

- will they have baby food on board, or is that something that can be pre-arranged? (Or do we bring our own?)

- I need access to a fridge for the storage of breastmilk...has anyone done this, and how did it work?

- Would they provide formula if requested (in case I ran out of her normal milk)?

We are thrilled to be able to travel with her, so we're not looking for advice that says "keep her at home" or "don't disturb other passengers".

We travelled with our then 7 month old on the Elation last December. I can answer some of your questions.

Carnival does not provide baby food or formula. You will have to bring your own. You can, however, get some items that your baby can eat such as mashed potatos, apple sauce, etc. Even if they are not on the menu that night, they will be happy to prepare it for you. Heck, at 11 months your baby should be able to eat quite a bit of table food.

I am almost possitive that there was a little fridge in the cabin (used as a mini bar) that you can keep breast milk in.

You didn't ask, but I'll let you know that Carnival will provide a crib for you so you do not have to bring that along. Also, Camp Carnival is not available to you but they will provide group morning and late evening babysitting for $6 per hour.

Cruising with a baby is certainly different than without, but it was still a nice trip for us. I am sure you will have a good time. Also, you might want to take a look at the family board here.

They do not supply baby food, you must pack your own.

They have "chillers" and I wasn't comfortable leaving excess formula in it, BUT breastmilk doesn't spoil as fast (per my lactation consultant).

They do not supply formula either.

This stuff you must pack yourself. The good news is you will have much lighter luggage on the way home with room for soveniers.:D

on a serious note, you will need to bring everything you need for the entire week. cereal, formula, diapers, wipes, baby food. you won't be able to purchase anything on board.

bring a dishwand on board w/ soap to wash bottles in stateroom. rinse bottles w/ hot tea water on lido to "sterilize."

the only cabins w/ frigs on fantasy class ships are cat 12s (and maybe cat11s). perhaps you cld bring a small cooler w/ you. your cabin steward will fill it w/ ice twice daily if you request. it wld be proper to give him a little extra at the end of the cruise if he does this for you.

agree moondawgie -- but make sure it reclines at least a bit, so you can strool the decks w/ her if she falls asleep (prevents you from being cabin bound at 8 p.m.) and has a basket for things for shore excursions. soft side portabable cooler for bottles taken ashore.

Thanks for all the advice. She is a well-travelled little girl, but this is her first cruise (and is a warm-up for the 10-night cruise we have booked for December). We have mostly travelled on Princess and know that they provide baby-food, so long as you request it before sailing but we aren't sure how Carnival does things.

We bought a tiny desktop fridge at Toys R Us a few years ago - they were on sale for $19.99. I tested the temperature with it running, and it keeps milk cold enough that it won't spoil. It hold maybe 3 cans of soda, it's really small. You might want to look around and try to find one of these. We've found it comes in handy when travelling and staying overnight in a hotel with no fridge. My son loves to drink milk at night and in the morning, so we take the fridge with us. You could easily fit it in a suitcase and even store some things inside it (baby food jars, etc) during travel to make good use of the space.

Does you have to pay for a baby to cruise, if they will not be getting a plate in the DR?

Believe it or not, yes - they charge the 3rd person rate!

I believe that NCL and Disney are the only two that don't charge for babies (they only charge for the taxes).

Fundamentally, I have no issue paying the 3rd passenger rate. And I had no issue paying the recommended tipping for all of us, until I learned that Carnival does not supply baby food and formula, as some other lines do. I am really struggling with the idea of tipping the wait staff when we'll bring our own food and there will be no mess to clean (she doesn't eat table food, so it's not like she throws food around). I have no issue tipping the room steward, since it is another one to clean up after, but the dining room staff is another story.

Archived