Do all of the complaints worry you?

IndigoFairy

I've never cruised Carnival before. I've been on HAL a few times, Celebrity once, and RCCL once. Loved every one of them. I've heard stories about Carnival, but I've also talked to coworkers who have cruised them. They loved them. I read reviews, and the "professional" review on CC said this

The service and the cuisine also exceeded my expectations. This is the first cruise I've been on in a long time, on any line, where I've been approached regularly and cheerfully for drinks service in the lido buffet -- and after years of being under the impression that the food on Carnival was nothing to write home about, I can honestly say the fact that I managed to gain eight pounds during my cruise speaks volumes about the improvements (much to the chagrin of the Weight Watchers police). Rolls were warm and crusty; fish was tender and flaky. Oh, and whoever came up with the idea of offering the pasta dishes in a smaller portion as a starter dish should get a raise!
So I booked the Miracle on 12/24. I have read reviews from cruises that I was on...and had to ask - was this person on the same ship??? Some people can let the smallest things "ruin" their cruise. I agree with an earlier poster who said people will mention one minor thing (and usually play it up to be the most awful thing known to man), and ignore the 25 other things that were absolutely perfect. All I know is - a cruise is what YOU make it. If you expect to find problems - don't book the cruise. I'm looking forward to my first Carnival cruise. I fully expect it to be everything I hope it to be.

We are signed up for our 10th Carnival and have done many on others lines also. It had always been my belief that a cruise is what you make of it yourself. You can talk yourself into having a great time and you can do the same for a miserable time. Not everything is going to be perfect but a cruise is a wonderful experience. Some people like to complain about everything and anything. You have to go with the flow sometimes and be flexible, take the best and have fun, forget the worst and try again.

I just went to the site that you addressed and typed RCL, and guess what there was bad things said about that cruise line as well. I could probably type in every other cruise line and would come up with the same thing.

I bet i could type in hotels and on and on. YOu can always find the bad with any and everything if you search. I am sure that there are a lot of sites that have good to say as well.

I have been on 5 cruises with CCl. I have never had a broken bone, or other problem. I witnessed a very bad mishap when a women was boarding a Tender for our excursion, she was be assisted bu two people on the platform and another two on the tender, the tender got hit by a wave and her leg slipped between the tender and the platform, it was pretty ugly, and lots of blood. They immediatley helped her back to the platform and called for a wheel chair and the doctor. She was catered to for the rest of the cruise. (Yes she did take full advantage of them).

Look at the glass half full and not half empty

I have been on 6 Carnival cruises and 1 RC. In my opinion, RC is no comparison to Carnival. Yes, there are "little" things that go wrong just like with any vacation. Never had any thing happened that made the cruise miserable. Everyone has different opinions and like one person commented, more people write about what's wrong that what was right.

Im a first time cruiser and it does bother me to hear complaints about Carnival because I will be cruising with Carnival but I have to remember everything is not for everyone and people are entitled to their own opinion on the same hand I would rather experience these things for myself and not let another's experiences stop me from cruising. Even though a lot of people have bad experiences with cruising on Carnival or just cruising in general-being on a cruise beats any day at work!

Complaints that usually start with, "I gave Carnival a second chance" or "I normally sail on Celebrity or RCCL" are the ones I read just to get a laugh. These complaints do not steer me away from Cruising as most are trivial and could of been bypassed. For example, the Lobster was too salty, Answer: then ask for another one or The carpet had a stain, Answer: if its a major concern bring Reslove Carpet spray next time. :D

Fred

Look at my signature, 48 cruises, not a major complaint on any cruise line and if there were minor complaints they're gone from my memory. More than a dozen cruises on Carnival. IF Carnival is my favorite, every other line is a very close second.

Do this:

On ANY cruise on ANY cruise line. Hang out by the Pursers desk for 3-4 hours for 2 days. Relax, stay out of the sun, read a book. I guarantee that in that time someone will approach the Purser with a complaint. The Purser will try to help the helpless. The complainer WILL get louder and you will hear what their complaint is. They will use the words "cruise from hell" "Everybody is upset" and others in that vein. You will hear it all and YOU WILL WONDER, "What cruise are they talking about?" "Not this one, I'm right here and I know none of that has happened." "I have heard or over heard NO one else with this complaint." And you will think, "Is this person deranged?'

Well, rest assured, that person will write bad reviews everywhere they can because they are deranged.

And a long time ago, I stopped reading reviews. One, I have no way to know if I have anything in common with the reviewer. Nor do I have a clue to their level of expectations. And lastly, after 48 cruises, I am able to make my own decisions. I also ignore movie and restaurant reviews.

Don't worry, be happy.

Dan

Dan,

BRILLIANT!!! I couldnt have said it better myself.

I hate standing in line at the pursers desk as my trip gets ruined as I listen to others find the stupidest stuff to complain about.This last trip the couple in front of me started getting worked up when they were about 3rd in line, by the time they got to the desk most of us heard the whole conversation. Most of it boiled down to needing a xtra towel ice and not getting it. I believe Carnival has our safety in mind and they want us to have a nice trip but think about it...there are over 1,000 staff on each ship, not 100% of them are going to be what you want or need at any specific time. Frustrating from time to time..sure, but not really that big of a deal. Dont get caught up in all the talk....there is no cruiseline that is a 100%, they all have the same issues, its a service industry. Excellent sometimes and poor othertimes. Usually it all weighs out to = a great cruise

There are way to many people out there who are only happy if they can complain about something. We have loved all of our cruise so far, and defend Carnival to anyone.

This is funny...Im on the Carnival band wagon all the time. My closest friend was on Destiny a few yrs ago, and there was a mechanical issue that caused them to be late coming into San Juan...as you can imagine LOTS of folks missed there flights.This caused mass chaos as thousands had to get other flights and spend the night.

According to her, they were hearded from place to place. Waited hrs to find out what to do, Carnival didnt have people avail and those that were there didnt know what to do and on and on.

Gee...how often do you think this happens. I like to think most of us cruise without any problems. this was major, try getting probably hundreds of addl' staff avail to help in what appeared to be less than 24hrs notice, how easy is it to get 2500 people off while 2500 are waiting to get on the ship that was to arrive 6hrs prior. Sure, I would be frustrated but cut them some slack...they got flights and spent the night locally in a hotel. But ever since all I hear is what a DISASTER her cruise was and how she will NEVER cruise carnival again. If you ask her how she like the ship, she'll say it was nice, food....pretty good, ports of call..she will elaborate and tell you how awesome some were. But remember, her trip was a DISASTER.

I do my best to not let her talk about it as I always have to let people know...Im exclusive to Carnival and will continue to give them my business.

I can imagine your anxiety over this.....I booked a cruise on the Destiny (about a year before I actually went) in the meantime I read some AWFUL things about the Destiny and boy was I worried!:eek: Well I'm here to tell you......it's never as bad as people say but by the same token it also never is as good:cool: It's up to you to make up your own mind; I have read negative reviews and in the same thread someone invariably asks "were we on the same cruise as you" they remember things very differently!

What bothers me- maynot bother you....one last thing Someone posts on this board from Carnival, basically relating the calvacade of complaints made to him/her (not sure) and when he/she addresses these complaints (some not all but most) say they'll stop complaining for a free cruise.

Just go on your cruise and enjoy..... if you don't like the Carnival experience, cancel your next one.....thats the only way you will truly find out...whats what.

Andy

• Administrators
Reader's Digest Version of my personal "How to read negative reviews." Ask yourself three questions. First, "would this bother me?" If not, great! You're good to go! (I count "no towel animals," "it took 20 minutes for ice to be delivered," etc in this category for my personal irk-meter).

Second, if it WILL bother you, "what are you going to do about it RIGHT THEN AND THERE to try to make it better?" If the answer is "nothing," then forget it right away -- if it's not worth trying to fix, it's not worth stressing about. If you do decide to do something (report it, complain, etc.) remember to use a kind voice, have a reasonable solution to suggest to the cruiseline, and understand that even if you don't get what you want, it doesn't mean that you weren't heard. I truly believe 90% of the huge threads here at CC generated by "negative" reviews would vanish instantly if the cruiser involved explained up front what steps were taken, at the time, to fix the problem.

Third, okay, you were bothered by it, you took steps and that didn't fix it -- so "what's your backup plan?" You only get to be where you are (on a cruise, at this place, with the people you are traveling with) ONCE in your life. You can let whatever the negative thing was ruin your whole trip, or you can try do what is in YOUR power to make it better DURING THE TRIP.

After all of that, if something horrible happens, come here and share it (furnishing the info on the questions above) -- you almost certainly will get all the sympathy you ever wanted, along with advice on how to deal with the cruiseline after the fact. But be realistic -- remember that people are people, that people who work for cruiselines do make mistakes, do have bad days, etc.

I really think a great cruise vacation is about 10% the cruiseline, and about 90% the cruiser and their attitude. So, no, I don't "worry" about negative reviews -- I learn from them, try to make the best decision on a cruise that will suit us, and prepare just in case the unexpected happens. :)

Archived