costa maya diving

cameron168

My husband is a certified dive master. He has been diving for about 23 years. To simplify life, I booked his trip (2/07) through RCI. He was very disapointed by the lack of sea life he saw. He was told that the area was over fished. The fish are begining to return since tourism is taking the place of commercial fishing. DH would not dive there again. :( Sorry.

We just got back from Costa Maya on the Carnival Fantasy. My two sons dove in both Costa Maya and Cozumel and thought Cozumel was much better. They did however enjoy the Costa Maya dive but didn't see nearly the fish that they saw in Cozumel. Booked independent of Carnival and paid around $80-$90 for a two tank dive. Don't know who they booked with however.

Go with Maya Palms. 3 buddies of mine and I flew to Cancun and drove down there last year(4 1/2 hrs from Cancun airport). I would not go back to the resort but I would dive with them again. without question.

If a cruise we are on next month gets rerouted there, I will call them up to book diving. They have a toll free number.

We also did a two tank boat dive with Maya Palms and enjoyed the diving, surface interval and relaxing at their resort. Like others have posted there was not a lot of sea life like you will find in Cozumel and other nearby ports. It has been very over fished. If Costa Maya was our only option we would dive with Maya Palms again.

It would however surprise me if any cruise ships stop at Costa Maya until at least 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

We went diving w/ Blue Ocean Safari Feb. 2007. I am not sure what is going on there now since Hurricane season, but the folks we met there were awesome- Julie especially. Contact: phillip@blueoceansafari.com . We saw lots of marine life and it was a small boat w/ our own personal guide, ALexandro. He was wonderful and pointed out everything to us. The corals were beautiful and they explained how to get around and area. I can't wait to go back.;)

We went diving w/ Blue Ocean Safari Feb. 2007. I am not sure what is going on there now since Hurricane season, but the folks we met there were awesome- Julie especially. Contact: phillip@blueoceansafari.com . We saw lots of marine life and it was a small boat w/ our own personal guide, ALexandro. He was wonderful and pointed out everything to us. The corals were beautiful and they explained how to get around and area. I can't wait to go back.;)

Unfortunately Blue Ocean Safari is no more. I was going to use them in Feb as well. Right now, pray for their recovery. Hopefully they will be able to rebuild.

Archived