which one - Mariner, Liberty or Freedom?

I'm looking at cruises for next summer, July 2008

Four people in two cabins

Mariner - two inside cabins $4206

Liberty - two inside cabins $4974

Freedom- two inside cabins $5430

It would be around $1000 more for oceanviews, I would like them, but it's not necessary. Eastern and Western are the same price, which would you choose?

If so, I would go with Mariner just for your costs. You will have just as good a time as if you were on a newer, bigger ship.

My first cruise I had originally booked Freedom but that didn't work out so we did Navigator. Man, if you can't be happy with that ship - you should call it quits! From what I read on these boards, Mariner is in the same category. We had an absolute blast on NOS and couldn't have been happier.

I did eventually book Liberty for next year - but again, from what I read - it's a bigger version of the Voyager class ships and other than H2O Zone and the flowrider, the overall experience should be the same.

Again, go for the price that fits your budget - then use the extra $$ you would have spent for some onboard fun or for excursions! That's just MHO :D .

I'm looking at cruises for next summer, July 2008

Four people in two cabins

Mariner - two inside cabins $4206

Liberty - two inside cabins $4974

Freedom- two inside cabins $5430

It would be around $1000 more for oceanviews, I would like them, but it's not necessary. Eastern and Western are the same price, which would you choose?

For this summer and last, we chose Mariner over Freedom/Liberty because of the cost. I figured there are plenty of bells and whistles on Voyager class ships to keep us happy, and the few extra amenities that Freedom/Liberty have are NOT worth the difference in cost.

It's hard to choose between Western and Eastern, as they are both awesome. We did eastern last summer and are doing western this summer. I'd suggest to look over the excursions available at each port and then decide with route to choose based upon what you'd prefer to do. I'd also suggest lookingon the ports of call board for recommendations of private tour guides - you can book similar excursions privately at a great savings - it's safe as long as you go with a reputable tour guide.

As an alternative to insides, check out the price of promenade cabins - they are often closely priced.

As well, if you can cruise in August, the price is a lot cheaper. We are in two cabins for $2600 for 4 people.

I'm surprised the prices vary by that much. For an extra $700 - 1200 you get to surf on the back of the ship and sit in the spa's over the side of the ship. Other than the ships being a little longer then the Mariner the design is very similiar. Ice SHow, Royal Promanade . Pay the extra $50 on the Mariner for the Prom Cabins and enjoy your cruise. If you got the bucks then take one of the freedom class ships.

Did you price an inside cabin and a balcony cabin. We have done that twice, D2 (balcony category) for DD and I, and N for kids (across hall inside). A little bit more money, but the best of both worlds!! We love the Adventure out of San Juan, both routes are great.

I've sailed all 3 ships (just got off Mariner last Sunday) and would choose Mariner hands down. Freedom class differences just aren't worth the extra $, and I had a great time on Mariner.

You'll have a great time on either itinerary.

You might also want to factor in flight / transportation costs.

Thanks everyone!

I was thinking that the Promenade cabins may be noisy. Do those cabins have windows that overlook the Promenade?

I am leaning towards the Mariner just because it is more reasonably priced, than the Liberty or Freedom. We just did an Eastern on the Triumph this summer, so we were leading towards the Western, but I'm a little gun shy about Labadee and Jamaica. I don't know very much about either.

Thanks everyone!

I was thinking that the Promenade cabins may be noisy. Do those cabins have windows that overlook the Promenade?

I am leaning towards the Mariner just because it is more reasonably priced, than the Liberty or Freedom. We just did an Eastern on the Triumph this summer, so we were leading towards the Western, but I'm a little gun shy about Labadee and Jamaica. I don't know very much about either.

Although I never stayed in one myself (I have one booked on an upcoming cruise), the cabins that overlook the promenade are reported to be soundproof - those on deck 6 right over a lounge might carry the vibration/bass of the music in the evenings, so I'd recommend booking deck 7 or 8. It's a nice alternative to be able to watch the action on the Promenade from your room if the cost isn't that much different from an inside.

As someone else recommended, look into booking a balcony with an inside or a promenade across the hall. Sometimes it's nearly the same price as two insides/promenades. There are about 4 set-ups on deck 9 that offer a D1 connecting to an inside that would be perfect if it works out that the price wasn't much more. This is where I'd spend the additional dollars, rather than booking the Freedom/Liberty.

Labadee is RCI's private beach and it's a beautiful place to just relax or take a water sport excursion. Even though it's on Haiti, it is isolated and guarded from the rest of the country, so it's perfectly safe. It's one of my favorite ports.

Jamaica isn't my favorite port and I wouldn't feel safe/comfortable venturing out on my own, but it's perfectly safe to take an excursion either through the ship or a private tour operator that's recommended on this site. We went Tubing on the White River there, and it remains one of our all-time favorite excusrsion anywhere.

Really the only major difference we saw on Freedom was the Flow Rider- and the H2O zone is a terrific place if you have young children,that would make me choose Freedom over Mariner.

Is there one embarkation port you prefer sailing from? I prefer Miami or FLL as it's easier for us. If the ships were all going from the same port I would choose Mariner a/c price.

Labadee is the private island- if you have been to any of the cruiseline's private islands they all start to look the same- blissful. We did the Jetski tour there and had a great time.

Sorry if I did not see age of kids, but if younger and need to connect, go with Liberty all things being the same itinerary wise.

For younger kids the H2O zone is great while nothing similar on Mariner and the Labadee day is really fun for them. One note - some old RC diagrams show a kids pool on Mariner that is not really there.

Sorry if I did not see age of kids, but if younger and need to connect, go with Liberty all things being the same itinerary wise.

The kids will be 16 and 18 when we do this cruise, I do like the connecting cabins though, then I don't have to go out into the hallway in my bathrobe. :D

Thanks for the replies about Labadee, I need to go and research it more.

I'll go and check out the D1 connecting with an inside cabin. ;)

Archived