cell phones in Alaska

SPKR

Can anyone confirm that AT&T cell phones work currently in Alaska? Have heard conflicting information when I call my customer service out of Houston, Texas. I have looked on the AT&T website and believe I may have reception in Anchorage, but am unsure of anyplace else. Thanks, and please, no stories about it's a vacation...I need to be in touch with home. We are traveling Cleebrity Summit going from Seward to Vancouver.

Suzie

Yes! A week ago, we had excellent AT&T cell service in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, on the Denali Express train at Whittier and in Anchorage area, Denali Princess Lodge area, and Fairbanks. Just make sure you are away from the ship and that your phone indicates AT&T and not the ship (in case they have left their own expensive cell tower on).

It should work up here.

Cellular one was bought out by AT&T, then AT&T sold it back to Cell One.

Now AT&T once again bought out Cell One, the deal should be complete by the end of the year. AT&T will offer the iPhone up here in Alaska when the deal is complete.

It should work up here.

Cellular one was bought out by AT&T, then AT&T sold it back to Cell One.

Now AT&T once again bought out Cell One, the deal should be complete by the end of the year. AT&T will offer the iPhone up here in Alaska when the deal is complete.

Nothing like coming full circle. I was one of those that had AT&T when it got sold. I only do a prepaid account and the program has been changed like 3 or 4 times with Cellular One and each time they mess something else up, and we won't even talk about when I got a new phone and they promised oh yeah I could transfer my number. Oh well after 3 weeks gave up and had to take a new one. Funny though one time I called my old number and they had assigned it to someone else, it just couldn't come with me. So I for one am happy to be going back to AT&T.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I called yesterday and ATT told me they have no cell phone towers in any of the ports or even Fairbanks! What's up?

Because AT&T isn't in Alaska yet. You should be able to pick up a signal though off the Cellular One towers.

Susan :)

I've had my same Cell Number since 1993, even the AT&T computers show me as a customer since 1993. I had problems with Cell One a few months back and they fixed everything once they looked in the computer and saw I was a customer since 1993.

Heck I was in Boston in June and when I got there on Friday my phone was working but then went to use it on Tuesday and found out that my voice mail was going into the zone, my phone could make and receive text messages and receive calls but not make calls.

Called them using someone else's cell phone and found out that they had transferred me to a new system over the weekend I was in Boston. Well came back to Anchorage and some of the functions still weren't working so I called and they put in a problem ticket and the tech said I would get an text message when they fixed it. Never got a text message and the function still doesn't work.

Hopefully when AT&T comes back they'll still give the good service they did when they were here in the past. Now just hope that they get through all the governmental hoops and the sale goes through.

It will be so nice to have a national cell phone company back in Alaska.

Susan in Anchorage :)

please, no stories about it's a vacation...I need to be in touch with home. We are traveling Cleebrity Summit going from Seward to Vancouver.

Suzie

I know what you mean about the stories - see my post #3 on this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=609022

When will you be on the Summit? I leave next Thu August 24 on the Summit Seward to Vancouver

John

John and sweet others who have responded: thanks. We fly Sept 6 Houston to Anchorage and then get onto Summit Sept 7. John, since you are about to leave, I would be eternally grateful if you email me if you have any issues and/or if all is well with your AT&T when you leave 8/24, as apparently, you will be doing the same southbound trip Seward to Vancouver as I am, just a few days earlier.

kblit@aol.com

Hi Suzie.

Just back from Alaska. Did a B2B on Ryndam and I never had a problem in any of the ports of call with AT&T. We were in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Haines and Seward. Always had great reception.

While in Seward called our daughter in Orlando and she found a Cam and told us what she saw so we went on the dock and she could see us. It wasn't live but the cam refreshed every minute or so. While we were in Juneau the same thing from the Library cam looking north she could see us in the parking lot while we were on the phone with her. It was pretty cool!!!

You shouldn't have any problem anywhere there is civilization in Alaska you should get an AT&T signal.

You are going to have a great trip.... If you have any questions about the ports you can e-mail me at nanralph@msn.com just put Cruise Critic in the subject line.

Ralph

Archived