Questions about the Dawn...

MamaParrotHead

Hello again, friendly and helpful NCL fans...I'm back with a few more questions, as I gather information for my grandmother on her upcoming Dawn cruise.

1.) Can anyone give me any info on the specialty restaurants...which ones are included and which charge a fee (and how much?). Also, any dishes that are "must-haves" or she should steer clear of?

2.) she said her docs mentioned something about a specific limit on suitcase size. I wasn't sure what to tell her, as on Carnival they don't have limitations. Can anyone give me info on that?

3.) Any fun places to people watch or quiet places to read onboard?

4.) are there any fun activities she could go observe and/or participate in?

5.) Does NCL have a soda card to purchase? If so, does NCL serve canned or fountain soda? Which brand/s, what's included and what's the cost for a 7 day cruise?

6.) Does anyone have any links to any of the menu's on the Dawn? She's a real foodie and would love to look over the menus, I'm sure.

7.) what kind of fare is available on their room service menu?

I'm looking for any fun tricks and tips you may have for her!:) I'm hoping she likes it, as I'm planning a family cruise for 2010 and she said she'd go if she enjoyed this trip. :)

I've also started a little care package to send her...she's never cruised before. Insulated cup, lanyards, reading light, lint brush, mini sewing kit...fun things she may not think of. I'm also including a packing list and a word doc with all the nice and helpful comments you guys have for her here on the NCL board!

Thank you all so much, you're a great help!

1.) Can anyone give me any info on the specialty restaurants...which ones are included and which charge a fee (and how much?). Also, any dishes that are "must-haves" or she should steer clear of?

LeBistro, Cagneys, Teppanyaki have the extra fees (I know I am forgetting 1 too), Impressions is Italian but does not have extra fee

2.) she said her docs mentioned something about a specific limit on suitcase size. I wasn't sure what to tell her, as on Carnival they don't have limitations. Can anyone give me info on that?

I don't remember size limitations but I think they had to be no more than 50 lbs. each and a limit of 2 per person

Deck 7 Promenade...Have lounge chairs out there and seems to be active with walkers and shuffleboard, but great for reading

Bingo (pricey though)

5.) Does NCL have a soda card to purchase? If so, does NCL serve canned or fountain soda? Which brand/s, what's included and what's the cost for a 7 day cruise?

$8.63 per day / per person (must buy entire cruise). It is from a fountain and it is Coke products

6.) Does anyone have any links to any of the menu's on the Dawn? She's a real foodie and would love to look over the menus, I'm sure.

Maybe posted somewhere here...try a search

Pizza, Sandwiches, Cesar Salad, some dessert items

Breakfast room service (unless you are in a suite which offers more choices) it is pretty basic - Fruit, danish, muffin, toast, coffee, tea, milk, juice - I wrote in Croissants and got them....

Hope she has good time!!!!!

There is also a library on board that would be peaceful for reading.

As far as must haves...the chocolate fondue in Le Bistro is talked about from time to time on the boards. It's not listed on the menu, but you can ask for it and it's well worth it! It's also nice to dine next to a Matisse or Money painting.

I hope she has a nice time! We've always enjoyed our trips on the Dawn.

here's one link to some menus:

http://community.webshots.com/album/546965658SXugcy

remember, all the menus for all the ships are the same..just the days they are served may be changed.

i don't know if this will show up, but here's some information. check the dates to see how current they are

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=NCL+menus

Hello again, friendly and helpful NCL fans...I'm back with a few more questions, as I gather information for my grandmother on her upcoming Dawn cruise.

I'm looking for any fun tricks and tips you may have for her!:) I'm hoping she likes it, as I'm planning a family cruise for 2010 and she said she'd go if she enjoyed this trip. :)

I've also started a little care package to send her...she's never cruised before. Insulated cup, lanyards, reading light, lint brush, mini sewing kit...fun things she may not think of. I'm also including a packing list and a word doc with all the nice and helpful comments you guys have for her here on the NCL board!

Thank you all so much, you're a great help!

For the last, I recommend checking out the NCL FAQ thread at the top of this forum.

1) Here's a list of restaurants aboard the Norwegian Dawn.

Venetian Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Aqua Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Light Modern Continental

Impressions of Italy

Cuisine: Italian

Reservations Required: Yes

Bamboo - A Taste of Asia

Cuisine: Japanese, Thai, Chinese (Sushi, Sashimi, Teppanyaki)

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 per person

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Cagney's Steakhouse

Cuisine: Steak

Surcharge: Yes, $20 per person

Salsa

Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex Tapas Bar

Garden Cafe/Kids' Cafe

Cuisine: Assorted Buffet, Food Stations, Kid-Sized Buffet

Blue Lagoon

Cuisine: Food Court, Grill

2) Here's what NCL's FAQ states

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to 200 pounds of personal luggage on board. However, if you are traveling by air, ask the airline if it has different restrictions. Airlines and NCL have limited liability for loss, so be sure all baggage and personal belongings are properly insured. Suitcases should be securely locked and tagged. You should hand-carry medication, jewelry or other valuables and important documents.

3) Try the atrium, or the pool areas, if not the bars and lounges.

4) Yes, from towel folding, art auctions, wine and martini tastings.

5) Yes they do, but it's expensive. She might be cheaper if she bought her sodas a glass ($1.25) or can ($2.00) at a time.

6) Yes, try out these menus from the Dawn.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/w_keith_henderson@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762349827550

7) menurs.jpg

Archived