Cruising with 9 month old to Alaska. Help!

Susan Casler

We brought our excersaucer for DS when he went on his first cruise at 6 months. But we were able to drive to the port....

We were also able to arrange babysitting every night for dinner. Initially we were told "no dice" but when I mentioned that DS goes to bed at 7:30 every night and would be asleep the whole time, they put the request thru.

Call Special Services and have them forward a request to the ships dining services that you will need pureed food to feed your baby.

Bring toys. Even if you cant bring an excersaucer, do bring some toys to occupy your baby's time.

Lastly, make sure your child gets enough sleep! A well slept baby is a happy, non-fussy baby. A happy, non-fussy baby makes both your vacation experience, and the vacation experience of others, much more enjoyable. Dont hesitate to get back to the room if your child needs a nap!

I'm glad you found us over here, Susan. :)

Have you checked out this thread yet? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=569542

We cruised Alaska last year and it was lovely. You'll often find the temperatures to be very comfortable indoors - even bordering on warm. Except for in the dining room, where for some reason it's always chilly, so be sure to take a jacket or sweatshirt for your baby into the dining rooms. Actually, I found that dressing in layers the entire time while in Alaska was really the way to go...

We just got back from Alaska with a 6 month old..

If you can, take as many family members as will go with you. We were all eager to take turns watching the baby :) My sister, her husband, and the baby also got a connecting room to my parents. They took the baby monitor and put it in my parents' room so they could put the baby to bed and whoever was staying with her could stay up in the room next door. They also booked a junior suite which had plenty of room for the crib - I don't know if it would have fit in my regular balcony room!

Also, I don't know where you are, but be aware of the time change going to Alaska (We came from Va., so it was a big change) It took 3-4 days to catch up with the baby but when it did that was one fussy day :) (Her mom said the same thing happened when they returned)

We avoided the dining room and just ate in the casual buffet restaurant every night. It was much easier with the baby's schedule, and we could just get up and get her anything we wanted for her, rather than having to ask the kitchen (although I'm sure they would have gotten it for us)

Beware - if you don't put socks on the baby, lots of people will give you advice on that! And on any other subject that comes to mind. There were actually quite a few babies on our cruise.

Have fun- we loved having the baby with us, and the staff loved her too!

When mine went on his first cruise at 9 mths old, I packed ziploc bags for every meal. Plastic disposable spoon, disposable bib and a jar of food. So when we went, we grabbed a baggie and threw it in the diaper bag. When finished, easy to dispose of it all. It was a 5-day cruise, so I had about 15 pre made baggies packed. It was very convenient and I had a lot of suitcase room for all the souvenirs afterwards!!

We just got back from Alaska with a 6 month old..

Beware - if you don't put socks on the baby, lots of people will give you advice on that! And on any other subject that comes to mind. There were actually quite a few babies on our cruise.

Have fun- we loved having the baby with us, and the staff loved her too!

We are just about to cruise to Alaska with our six-month old and your comments made me smile. :) Have any of these people ever tried to keep socks on a six-month old, squirmy, and eager baby? :rolleyes:

I think if/when someone suggests socks to me (because even when I do put them on, they inevitably fall off or get pulled off), I will be more than happy to invite these people to follow me around 24/7 and be on "sock patrol" if it is so important to them! :D

• 8 months later...

Hi, wonder if anyone can help - I am leaving for a med cruise on NCL Jade at the end of this week, and I am planning on taking our largisg three wheller 'Quinny' pushchair for my daughter as it is so comfy for her to sleep in and much more comfortable to push(we intend to do a lot of walking at ports!). Also I can fit a car seat onto this if necessary ( I would be interested to know if people think this will get used or if I should just leave it in our car at the port! Would a stewrad store this for us if we didn't want it in our room?)

Anyway, my main question is, would it also be useful to bring our lightweight umbrella stroller as this is much easier to manoevre in small places and to lift up steps etc. We intend to use the dining rooms and bars - Has anyone found it difficult to get in and out of public spaces with a bigger pushchair?

I would also like to hear how people with babies have spent evenings - we intend to eat early in the dining rooms as not great fan of buffet.(am a bit nervous of eating later with her asleep in pushchair as she has a habit of waking just as my food arrives!) I thought maybe then I would go bath the baby and get her pjs on, while my Hubby has a drink, then hopefully we would push her round the decks and get her off to sleep before trying to see a show or go for a drink. We do have a balcony mini suite, so I anticipate spending a lot of time there, while my husband does stuff with our older daughter or vice versa. But it would be nice to try and do some stuff together in the evenings. Can't wait till our 11 yr old is old enough to baby sit!

If anyone has evening tips that worked well please do share - have read quite a bit on the boards, but hard to search too much with baby constantly grabbing keyboard!

Archived