just changed our WC cruise this yeae to Alaska next year

cmom

Sorry we just decided on what ship and where were going. We have booked for June and will be on the Rhapsody of the seas. I have never cruised with this line and im very excited to see activities for adults and kids. I will have two 7 year old boys . I am one to not sit and relax on vacation. I need to go go go and do and learn . We will be going to Seattle Washington, Jueanu, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord, Prince Rupert BC, inside passage.

I would be greatful for any tips.

That works :D

I have never cruised to Alaska so I'll have to let others answer. But I can tell you that my kids have always wanted to go to the dog sled camp. I know it's something like $110 pp...but they have asked to do it after seeing it in the movies. ;)

We did Alaska this year with kids 12 and 9 and had almost the same itinerary. We went to Juneau, Skagway, cruised Tracy Arm Fjord, Ketchikan and Victoria. In Juneau, we took one of the buses out to Mendenhall Glacier for $6 each way, then came back to town and went up the Mt. Roberts tramway. There is a great museum in Juneau, but we ran out of time to make it there. In Skagway, we took the train up and did a land tour with an outside company coming back down. That was nice because we had a smaller bus and stopped at the lunch place as all the big tour buses were leaving, so we kind of had the place to ourselves. Our kids had a short dogsled ride and really liked it. There is a great National Park tour in Skagway that you can sign up for, but I heard tickets go pretty quickly (they are free I believe). In Ketchikan, we took the horse trolley tour, but we were only there for about 5 hours, so we didn't have time for much. There is also a great museum there as well. The lumberjack show is a lot of fun, but we had seen one before, so opted not to do that. Have a great cruise, and if there is anything else I can answer for you, just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I would skip the Liarsville tour in Skagway-- we did it last year and it was dull, bored the kids, and a waste of money. The train is expensive, and some have reported it dull as well, but others love it. If your kids LOVE trains, it may be worth it, but only book the "short" 3 hour trip. One option in Skagway is to rent a car and drive out as far as you'd like. You have control over when and where to stop, including places to throw snowballs. Be sure to bring booster seats.

In Juneau, definitely take the Mendenall tour bus to the glacier (NOT the city bus, but a locally run, direct-to-the glacier bus). Its $12 RT for adults, $6 for kids. MUCH cheaper than the cruise lines, it runs every 30 minutes, and you can stay at the glacier as long as you'd like. Our first trip we did a cruiseline tour, and they stay there was WAY too short. There are short nature trails near the glacier, a nice visitor's center ($3 for adults, free for kids), and of course, a giant glacier and lake to throw rocks in.

Ketchikan is a great city to walk around in-- we just get off the ship, pick up a walking map at the nearby visitor's kiosk, and walk around. Some people like the lumberjack show, and there there are totems and a small museum nearby. This is also the best place to buy stuff, IMHO.

This last trip, I also made sure the kids were in kids camp during the glacier part of the trip, and I got to spend 3 hours taking photos and freezing my patootie off. They spent 10 minutes looking at the ice, then went back to coloring. We were all happy. The first time, we dragged them out to the top deck to look at the ice, and heard a lot of whining until we relented and went inside to watch.

One thing we plan on doing the next time we go to Alaska is to send one parent out on excursions at a time-- I want to go fishing, and DH wants to do a flightseeing trip to the top of a glacier. Rather than dragging the kids along on an expensive (and boring to them ) trip, we just split up.

The main thing is knowing what your kids like to do-- if they are really adventurous, they may like more of the side trips. Ours are not (yet), so we plan accordingly. There are also a lot of non cruiseline options in Alaska (as well as some cruiseline ones that are worth it), so check around.

Also, look into booking whale watching in Seattle-- you can see orcas and lots of other wildlife for a LOT less. Other cool things to do with 7 years olds are the Space Needle and Seattle Center (there are a fair rides aroiund that are pricy but fun), the Science Center (also in the Seattle Center), the Aquarium , and of course Pike Place market. If you go to the market, go early and find the place that sells freshly made donuts-- they sometimes run out as early as 1pm, so the earlier the better.

Lunch at the Space Needle is the better bargain, IMHO, and is a lot of fun with the kids. They have Space Needle shaped pasta that is a big hit with the younger set, and the restaurant rotates so you can see everything. Sometimes there are also good shows at the children's theater in Seattle Center, too.

Archived