How to Protect Baby's Skin from Sun?

ginacc

Today while bathing my son I noticed he's getting a pretty pronounced Farmer Tan on his arms and legs. We put SPF50 sunscreen on him every time we're out, and he's not out in the sun that often. We also try to always keep the sunshade on him, along with a hat and sunglasses. Is it normal for kids to tan even through sunscreen and all that? I'm a pasty white englishwoman, but DH is Irish/Mexican who browns easily so I'm not sure if my son is just more prone to tanning, or if his skin is unprotected. Is any amount of tanning safe/normal?

If tanning through sunscreen isn't normal, what else should we be doing to protect him from the Caribbean sun?

I'd appreciate some BTDT advice. Thanks in advance.

(yes, I'm sure I could ask my doctor this, but I try to limit the number of over-protective parent questions I call her with to one a month.)

Last year, sons first summer, I slathered him in spf40 baby suncream, sunhats, under the sunshade, etc. He still tanned, a beautiful colour bless him, he is very fair and pale but obvioulsy has his Dad's skin when it comes to tanning. Dad is more olivey.

This summer (HA!) I still put him in suncream and hats, but being a toddler he was less keen on clothing when outdoors in hot weather so would run around in just shorts. He tanned again, a beautiful golden colour! I think he must just be one of those people who can tan nicely. He has never burnt once, thank heavens.

I think the answer is do what you can, but be prepared for things not going your way.

Me, I burn through factor 60! So I'm always in the shade.

Last year, sons first summer, I slathered him in spf40 baby suncream, sunhats, under the sunshade, etc. He still tanned, a beautiful colour bless him, he is very fair and pale but obvioulsy has his Dad's skin when it comes to tanning. Dad is more olivey.

This summer (HA!) I still put him in suncream and hats, but being a toddler he was less keen on clothing when outdoors in hot weather so would run around in just shorts. He tanned again, a beautiful golden colour! I think he must just be one of those people who can tan nicely. He has never burnt once, thank heavens.

I think the answer is do what you can, but be prepared for things not going your way.

Me, I burn through factor 60! So I'm always in the shade.

okay thanks! It's nice to hear that somebody else is taking all the same precautions and still ending up with a tan kid.

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks again.

ginacc,

I was wondering the same thing. I am super cautious with my little guy (spf 50, swim shirts, etc.) but he still has a farmer's tan. I guess their skin just gets a little bit at a time?

Glad to hear that others are experiencing the same thing!

Don't forget that all people are better off, phyisically, if they get 10 minutes of direct sunlight a day (Caucasians), 20minutes for Non-subcontinet Asian skin, 30 minutes for Subcontinent Asian skin and 45 mintues for African skin colour. It is how your body produces vitamin D.

DS also seems tan even though I slather him--I figured out what was happening in our case. It's so obvious, I should've remembered--I didn't reapply! He sweats, he wipes, I wipe, he gets wet or just wears off. Even if you don't get wet, the labels usually say to reapply after x amount of time. Just reapplying made a huge difference for us. But that's just our experience--you might be already reapplying, I was surprised how many other moms in DS' class and playgroups don't reapply and we all had tanned little munchkins.

I also bought SPF shirts, coverups. I read an article that sun damage, which apparently includes a tan, in your childhood years can increase likelihood of skin cancer to adulthood. Plus, maybe it's the Texas sun, but so many people in our neighborhood and family have been diagnosed with skin cancer this year so I'm a bit overprotective now.

lexxity--i didn't know there were differing amounts of time based on your skin tone. I just thought everyone needed the same amount of time for the whole vitamin D thing. That's very interesting--thanks for posting that!

I just came across Huggies Suncsreen Sensors which are little stickers that are meant to be put on children when they are outside and they change color when the level of UV B exposure is approaching a harmful amount. There was a free sample on the pack of swim diapers I purchased. I haven't tried them yet, but they may help. Here's an explanation from Huggies site:

Q10: What are HUGGIES™ LITTLE SWIMMERS™ Sun Sensors?

A10: UV sensors that are self-adhesive sensors that monitor exposure to the sun’s UVB rays. Sun Sensors change color with increased exposure to the sun. The change in color to orange alerts one to the fact that they are in a “danger zone” of UVB radiation exposure. This means that one needs to apply additional amounts of sunscreen.

The website is: www.littleswimmers.com/na/products/suncare.asp#

sc_sensor.gif

Both of my kids (DD & DS) wear SPF swim shirts while in the water. (In ADDITION TO 50 SPF SUNBLOCK!!!!)I haven't seen those swim pants...but sound cool too! I also like the idea of those Sun Monitors. I will have to check those out!!!:D

I just came across Huggies Suncsreen Sensors which are little stickers that are meant to be put on children when they are outside and they change color when the level of UV B exposure is approaching a harmful amount. There was a free sample on the pack of swim diapers I purchased. I haven't tried them yet, but they may help. Here's an explanation from Huggies site:

A10: UV sensors that are self-adhesive sensors that monitor exposure to the sun’s UVB rays. Sun Sensors change color with increased exposure to the sun. The change in color to orange alerts one to the fact that they are in a “danger zone” of UVB radiation exposure. This means that one needs to apply additional amounts of sunscreen.

sc_sensor.gif

Oh wow!! Those are so cool! I wonder if they work. Maybe I'll pick some up and try them out. Let me know if you get a chance to try them.

Thanks for posting that!

No amount of tanning is safe or desirable. A tan is a sign of permanent damage, no matter how cute it looks. Your safest strategies are to keep the little guy (or gal) out of the sun between 10 am and 4 pm. Enjoy the pool or beach after breakfast and again before dinner. Keep arms and legs covered with clothing, and slap a hat on that little head. (These precautions will serve you very well, too.)

When our kids were little, we rented beach houses with porches or verandas so the children could play outdoors during sunny hours without risking sun damage. It's not easy but it's important and possible.

As for sunscreen, read the bottles carefully and do ask your doctor. Many are labeled for use only on children over 2 years.

That's a very good point about age of sunscreen use. Last summer I bought some suncream for my son it was labelled for kids. I read the back and it said for 18months +, so I called my healthvisitor (I don't think you have these in the US, they are community based pediatric nurses who run clinics and are always available to call, have visit or go and see) and she said no I must get the correct age one! So I did. I always reapply and he still tans, keeping him in the shade is a battle because he just adores being out all the time, even in wind, rain, storms!:D It was my health visitor who told me about the direct sun thing too. Very useful fact that.

I will have a lookf for those sun sensor things, will need those next January for our Caribbean.

sc_sensor.gif

FWIW - I tried these (had a free sample) last year on my DD. They need to be place above where they will be in the water, so since she was in the pool most of the time, it didn't work too well. If you have a baby that's just splashing in a kiddie pool with no submursion, you may have better results.

Archived