Heading to Jamacia, Cayman, Mexico 8/19 whats in-store?

lilbert

lilbert, this is NOT Carnival's fault--and BTW, I'm not a fan of Carnival, but I sure am not going to blame them for mother nature's fury or because I decided to take a cruise at the height of the hurricane season. Everyone knows that when you book a cruise in August or September, that's the chance you take. And believe me, you're probably not going to GC or Cozumel either. GC is supposed to be hit by Monday night or Tuesday and the outer bands of the storm will be there much earlier. It can take islands months if not years to recover from a hurricane. Heck, Cozumel still isn't back fully from Wilma. And I'm going to say this again. It's NOT Carnival's fault if you bob in the water for 5 days. You decided to take a chance by booking a cruise at the height of the hurricane season. Everyone knows, unless you can roll with the changes, unless you don't have a problem with itinerary changes, you DO NOT book a cruise to the Caribbean in August and September. Why do you think so many cruise lines abandon the Caribbean altogether in summer? It's because they don't want the hassles that a hurricane causes.

we sail Sept.16~~ B2B Caribbean Princess let's hope we all make it ;)

BUT our thoughts are with the islanders who are going to be hit hard

1995 I was on the NCL Starward great old ship> when Marilyn hit ~~ we made circle's for two days with other ship's finally went to Trinidad had a great time , we take chances in travel, but that's the excitement of travel

we sail Sept.16~~ B2B Caribbean Princess let's hope we all make it ;)

BUT our thoughts are with the islanders who are going to be hit hard

My thoughts exactly! The ports are only part of a cruise, and if we cannot visit, THIS TIME, to support the islanders, then there will always be next time, and of course we will still support them with our thoughts and hopes, for a speedy recovery.

As people who are fortunate to take cruises, perhaps it would be a nice idea for all of us to sit back and pray for the people of these poor islands. This hurricane could bring remarkable destruction to people who don't have much to begin with. I understand that it is easy to get caught up in being upset from changed vacation plans, but there are bigger issues out there right now.

I am sailing on the Carnival Liberty a week from today and we are supposed to go to Key West, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman. I have a bad feeling that the devistation will not allow us to get to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. I am greatful to just get on the ship and don't care where Carnival takes us. I wonder if the ports of call will really change and where will we go? Maybe Eastern Caribbean?

My daughter's honeymoon cruise is scheduled to leave on Sept. 16 th out of Galveston on the Conquest. Needless to say, all the ports she is scheduled to visit are in the direct path of Dean. I really do feel for the people in it's path; must be very scary.

I know that there will be alot of destruction in these ports if all that NOAA says is true at this point, but I do hope that they don't dock ships in these ports before they're ready to handle them. I know they need the cruise ship dollars and all, but I would think being bombarded with 1000's of cruise pax would hamper other efforts to get these places back up.

I also realize that booking this time of year is chancey, and I know that it

could always end up being a mystery cruise as people have said. If there is alot of destruction in Coz, MoBay, and Grand Cayman, I hope they redirect the Conquest to other ports such as Key West & the Bahamas if they're ok. This would give those ports a chance to get things back together and maybe allow cruise passengers again. I know that they need the tourism dollars, but it wouldn't make for a very pleasant experience if every port the cruise visits is torn apart. I know this may sound a bit selfish, but I'm only human and I'm a mom with a daughter slated for her honeymoon cruise. I just hope that if all 3 ports are badly damaged, they that find at least 1 port in shape for their passengers.

I know this may sound a bit selfish, but I'm only human and I'm a mom with a daughter slated for her honeymoon cruise. I just hope that if all 3 ports are badly damaged, they that find at least 1 port in shape for their passengers.

While I do understand that you want everything to be perfect for your darling daughter, the far greater concern is for those in the path of the storm who may lose a lot more than a honeymoon ...

Certainly your daughter is more looking forward to spending time with her new husband than visiting ports - right? I'm sure they'll make the best of it and have a great time.

BTW - We were in Cozumel a couple of months after Wilma and the people there were absolutely thrilled to see us and our $$$. They need our expenditures in order to repair necessary infrastructure after the storm. While we did tender in and it was sad to see the beaches and dock destroyed, the people were nice and they were all very, very happy to see us. The reality is that this part of the world is impacted by weather on a frequent basis ... we can't expect that it will be picture-postcard perfect all of the time ~ especially at the peak of hurricane season!

I was told by my agent with Carnival that all Western Caribbean cruises will go Eastern Caribbean until further notice. It's sad because I do not think there will much left of Jamaica and the Cayman's once Dean is through with them. Been to both places and it will be terrible. I doubt there will be even a place for the ships to dock there. And Cancun and Cozumel just finished rebuilding from the last one. I think future cruises will be affected immensely and rerouted to different destinations. We are cruising next month and figure on hurricanes as we travel in September every year and expect this. We also live in Florida. The cruise lines will take care of their clients always and never put anyone in danger. Just feel bad for the people who live on these islands and what the aftermath will be.:(

No one knows what damage will result from the storm. This morning the projected path takes the storm a bit farther south of yesterday's track. If this track holds, damage will be less in GC and Coz. While those ports may be closed early this week they may be open by the end of the week. There really isn't any way to know until the storm passes.

Wilma devastated Coz because it sat on top of the island for a day and a half. This storm doesn't look to play out that way. Hopefully it passes through quickly and away from populated areas keeping damage and death minimal. We can only pray it does. In a few days we will know what the extent of the damage is. Plenty of time for next weeks sailing to firm up itineraries. It's tough but we just have to wait.

I was on The Grandeur for hurricane Florence. We were supposed to go from Baltimore to Bermuda. Never made it. Just went out to sea and back with NO ports of call. RCCL did reward us financially by offering a rebate and a discount on a future cruise. The situation changed hour by hour and the ship also had some rudder problems however, it is my belief that safety of the passengers was top priority. The entire cruise was a hoot....even spending several days in the port of Baltimore and looking out and seeing my car..

It is what we make of it.. I also was in Cozumel and Grand Caymens after Wilma and the islanders were so happy to have us and our dollars back. I will always remember this one man telling me the horrors of the storm and then saying..."but we did not loose people and now that you all are back, it will be really good again"

Its really all about our attitude. And our gratitude..

God bless the islanders and keep them safe.. Make your memories good....they will be with you for a long time..

its seems that GC and Jamaica will be spared the worst of Dean - Yes Jamaica is getting pounded by Dean but nothing compared to what it would have been if it was 50 miles north of where it is now.

What concerns me reading a couple of articles is that some in Jamaica are taking this storm lightly. Having been to Jamaica a couple of times honestly it doesn't surprise me one bit...nothing seems important to them. "because you are in Jamaica Mon."

Why would anyone want to cruise the Caribbean in August/September during Hurricane season? Yikes!!! I've cruised many times - always January thru April and its been gorgeous weather on the high seas everytime.

Why would anyone want to cruise the Caribbean in August/September during Hurricane season? Yikes!!! I've cruised many times - always January thru April and its been gorgeous weather on the high seas everytime.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It helps when the price is considerably cheaper..:eek: .I know...bad reason....but the truth..and less crowds....:D

I think the best thing is that we reallly don't care where we go...would like to go a few places...but, HEY, if we get 'stuck' on the boat for 7 days....WHATEVER.....we are still on vacation..:D..!!!!!!

P.S. (We are going next October....:rolleyes: )

This is our 7th yr in a row cruising hurricane season and 6 of those were in Sept. The weather is fabulous and if you cruise a lot and don't care which ports you go into, it is cheap and fun! My kids are on year round school and are off in Sept and my husband is a CPA which eliminates Dec-April (if you count tax planning meetings through 1st quarter deadlines). That leaves the summer which is hot, expensive and crowded or the fall. We have only had one issue where the hurricane was supposed to hit the port we were taking out of on the day we were supposed to embark. We drove to Marco Island and had a fabulous time, then caught the ship for a shortened cruise. we have had our itinerary changed twice but who cares! Those are our reasons.

I have heard the seas can be rough in Jan/Feb (is this true?) I'm sure every cruise has it's positives and negatives. Just don't focus on the negatives!

We cruise every year during hurricane season, considering it lasts for 6 months out of the year, some of the peak cruising times fall during the season. Haven't had any problems, always get a GREAT fare, and wonderful weather. You have to be prepared that your itinerary may change, but that is the case on ANY cruise. Not sure what the big deal is... it's not like the ship is going to cruise into a hurricane :p LOL

According to the Google Earth map, looks like Dean will be making landfall between Majahal and the Costa Maya pier. As close as those places are to the open sea I can't see them faring to well from this.:( I would imagine a cat 5 will do quite a number on the pier as well so I would suspect there might not be any stops there for a while. I hope the people down there are able to get far away for this.

Grumpus : How did you make that ship cool! We looked at google Earth too love it:)

We just go and see what develops

We are seasoned travelers and love adventure

Cindy

Thanks Cindy! I just got a copy of the ship, photoshoped it black, added the pirate skull and downloaded a fancy font and added that. I had to map all those windows too. It's quite easy with the right software.:) Here's what I was looking at on Google: The red line is the track which is 1 mile north of Majahual and looks to be right over the Costa Maya pier. It's sad to me 'cause I like that place, we had a good time there. I hope this doesn't happen but at this point it's not looking good.

stormtrack.jpg

I use Photo shop all the time I will work with it

My first trip to Coz was a very long time ago 1986 < ah those were the days> :rolleyes: we are going in a few weeks ~~ going to Dzul-ha for our < 1997>snorkeling , we are no ship tour people

Cindy

Waht size was the ship and pixels? Sometimes CC gets sticky about our "pictures"
Cindy, it's 500x96 and 26kb. not too big right!?;) Hey, thanks for the drink... just what I needed!:D

My first trip to Coz was 1990 and loved it. We stayed at El Presidente and had a great time. The snorkeling was very good there too. Since then we've been there a dozen times +/-. We Loved Chichen Itza, fished for Mahi-Mahi! We've been doing a lot of non-cruiseline excursions ourselves these day too... there's too many things to do the cruiselines don't offer.

Archived