Bad News At Carnival

As with most large corporations there are times when it is necessary to cut your labor force to make up profit. It might just be Carnival's turn to lay some people off. I do hope that it doesn't effect the wonderful service that I have received over the years but it may and at that time I would have to consider going some where else. As with all things when the complaints come rolling in and the feet start walking to other cruise lines then Carnival will start making the adjustment to make things right.

I agree

Having gone through the whole Tandem, Compaq, DEC, HP thing, I am intamently familiar with how corporate layoffs work. ;)

I'm just saying that it would make more sense to go after some bodies at corporate earning full U.S. salaries with benefits before going after the cheapie foreign labor.

I have been through plenty of layoff's at my company ......and we the employee always knew about them before it was made public...and it was always the person far far down the line that got layed off.....never the executives....

Geez youd think this was a guy who mentioned communism in the 1950's. You folks are so wrapped up in calling out trolls and who ever this so called captain is that you look right past the fact that it just may be a sincere post.

Sincere post? Absolutely NOT a chance. Its the deranged captain.

I was only halfway thru his first post when I hit the triangle. Its him or somebody that caught the same mental illness he has.

Dan

I have been through plenty of layoff's at my company ......and we the employee always knew about them before it was made public...and it was always the person far far down the line that got layed off.....never the executives....

Do you work for a public company???? :confused:

I never said or meant executives.

Look at it this way, 100 front line service people a month of a ship equates to a whopping $5000 a month in savings. Remember, the customer pays the bulk of the service salaries, not the company.

So let me get this straight -- someone who is new to these boards -- has never given any advice to anyone asking-- is telling us the sky is falling. We have no idea what he/she does with Carnival (does he work on a ship or in the main office - I must have missed it in his post) and this "rumor" cannot be confirmed anywhere else? Why would a corporate officer (someone who might really know) post that? It wouldn't happen. And how would a person with just over 1 year of service with the company find this out? He wouldn't until he got a pink slip.

Come on people. Recognize the troll.

[quote=Carnival Crew Member;

Hi CCM, you probably wonder why people are questioning you identity...there has been a poster on here in the past that has stirred emotions......so from my part can you just tell me what paper you will carry on your person when you go off the ship in your next US port? (Something a true crew member might expect to know?)

Big Duck re your second point not necessarily true on cruise ships....besides, the savings of salaries etc of these people being laid off (if its true) the line would have accomodation spaces that might be changed to cabin space for sale or more revenue areas etc dependent of course on their location (cant sell on Deck 0 of course, but an officers cabin area in a higher deck might be refurbished into a passenger cabin) and that would generate more revenue....most cruise line workers also have short contracts (6 months in comparison to years) which come with no pensions etc and therefore again less costs involved in their being let go, and finally, minimum publicity. The industry continues to provide Congress and various other entities with figures showing how much is generated from their business in the US, the last thing they would want to do is job cuts in corporate. IMHO

As I suspected Carnival stock is up - so why are we doing this???? I hate it when corps put bean counters in CEO slots - this kind of action is inevitable with those guys. So we have now started the employee cuts the next step is a cost increase so we will all be paying paying more for less. And caught in the middle are the kids that work on the ships. I believe the 72 hour week comments - I've seen it in action so now we are going to work them 80.. I am sorry but this is just wrong.

Ok well...as some of you are frequent cruisers...you have probably met up with some people from the ships you keep in touch with that are crew or staff on the ships. If this is the case for any of you could you email/message them and ask if they have heard about the positions being cut. When you get a reply post it back here. That is the only way I can think of so you may believe what I am saying. I thought about pictures but then you would all say i just faked them anyway

As I suspected Carnival stock is up - so why are we doing this???? I hate it when corps put bean counters in CEO slots - this kind of action is inevitable with those guys. So we have now started the employee cuts the next step is a cost increase so we will all be paying paying more for less. And caught in the middle are the kids that work on the ships. I believe the 72 hour week comments - I've seen it in action so now we are going to work them 80.. I am sorry but this is just wrong.

This was predicted as soon as they said Gerry was filling the spot... I really hate it if it happens, because these people work so hard as it is. I'll be taking along even more tip money if this pans out.

With the amount of crew members that Carnival is going to be laying off that means that there would be some empty rooms that they could sell to the public. Think about the savings you could have on one of those. That would setup another type of snob we could have here. We already have the Balcony Snobs and the Interior Snobs next would be the Lowest level on the ship Snob.

Ok well...as some of you are frequent cruisers...you have probably met up with some people from the ships you keep in touch with that are crew or staff on the ships. If this is the case for any of you could you email/message them and ask if they have heard about the positions being cut. When you get a reply post it back here. That is the only way I can think of so you may believe what I am saying. I thought about pictures but then you would all say i just faked them anyway

I have no reason not to believe you... but I would only believe you if you heard this by "hearsay", or unless you are a corporate executive... typically layoff announcements to employees (of public companies) occur around the time the PR is made... but hey, perhaps they called you guys all together and told you. I'm guessing you heard this second hand though?? And that's fine... it usually always leaks. I'm sorry that this is happening... and I wish you luck.

Sorry, I'd be the first to call the Captain out... but this person doesn't seem quite as psychotic. I've been wrong before, but I don't feel it here...

They wont be selling crew cabins to guests i can tell you that. maybe if they did some serious renovations during a drydock but they are much different than the guest quarters you are all used to lol

I was about to say the same thing!! They are definitely MUCH smaller cabins!!!!

[quote name=Carnival Crew Member;

Hi CCM' date=' you probably wonder why people are questioning you identity...there has been a poster on here in the past that has stirred emotions......so from my part can you just tell me what paper you will carry on your person when you go off the ship in your next US port? (Something a true crew member might expect to know?)

Big Duck re your second point not necessarily true on cruise ships....besides, the savings of salaries etc of these people being laid off (if its true) the line would have accomodation spaces that might be changed to cabin space for sale or more revenue areas etc dependent of course on their location (cant sell on Deck 0 of course, but an officers cabin area in a higher deck might be refurbished into a passenger cabin) and that would generate more revenue....most cruise line workers also have short contracts (6 months in comparison to years) which come with no pensions etc and therefore again less costs involved in their being let go, and finally, minimum publicity. The industry continues to provide Congress and various other entities with figures showing how much is generated from their business in the US, the last thing they would want to do is job cuts in corporate. IMHO[/quote]

The people the phony baloney captain is talking about are not officers. He was talking about service people who 1. cost the cruise line more in food than they do in salaries. Very little no matter what multiplication factor you want to use and 2. Their tiny 2 or 4 bunk cabins sharing a bathroom with another cabin with NO storage are not available for sale.

Dan

I never said or meant executives.

Look at it this way, 100 front line service people a month of a ship equates to a whopping $5000 a month in savings. Remember, the customer pays the bulk of the service salaries, not the company.

Duck is right - they'd be better off dropping people paid hourly, with genuine benefits. Why bother cutting the low end of pay scale when the impact will be minimal?

My employer has laid off 92% of its staff in the last 7 years - we've gone from 38,000 people to about 1,600. Been there, done that, survived so far. Believe me - if they're really interested in cost savings, they'll make the move higher up the food chain.

I would carry my I95

Thanks for that and really appreciate you answering so quickly....I dont think we have the Captain here, the speed of response and accuracy of the answer is good enough for me...sorry to hear your bad news and I do understand that a lot of times ship buzz far overtakes corporate PR releases (and that in the industry some pr releases are never made) and sometimes the heads up is sent to a ship long before the event so that people can plan and are not caught out... I would presume that people are being offered places on newer ships within the corporation and not full lay offs?

They are trying to place everyone unfortunately there will most likely be too many. The reason for the december 1st deadline is to allow for attrition to do most of the work (as you may know we have a lot of turnover). So based on attrition and vacation scheduling(some may be required not to come back for there next contract for extended periods) they want to do most of it. All I am saying in thes post originally, maybe i didnt say it well enough, is that there will be less people doing the same work, meaning things will take a little longer, and crew might be looking a little tired...all i want people to know is its not that we dont want everyone to enjoy the cruise we are just tired and will be moreso come December 1st

And did it occur to you that this information would be in a press release BEFORE someone posted it here, on a message board. And a message board that is not just a Carnival Cruise Line MB?

And dont you think carnival just might keep it internal in order to keep cruisers who expect a certain level of service happy and not book somewhere else? Shareholders could care less how its done as long as profits rise. Thats the problem with todays financial environment its not the quality of the company from a customers point of view, only the quanitity of cash it can pull in using whatever means necessary.

Archived