Diving in Grand Cayman

WhoDat Cruiser

Don Foster's. I would recommend against booking through the ship unless you want a cattle boat operation. That sad, they are a very professional dive op. I would recommend Diver's Down/Cayman Diving College. We were very happy with them. Hope this helps.

I'm on Liberty 10/21/07 for my honeymoon and I have some jambalaya (our word for alone time) to do some diving in GCI. Is it best to book privately IF I have literally NO equipment? I'm a moderately experienced diver with 70+ dives and rescue cert. in Hawaii while in the military. Is it worth a little extra to book on my own considering I'd have to rent all equipment as well vs. Carnival's excursion which includes equipment?

I personally only book off the ship. Just make sure when doing research into the dive ops that they have all equipment for rent. Most do, but I would ask.

The only place that I book with the ship is in Belize. Hugh Parkeys is not only convenient as the dive boat pulls up to the ship and you have your private "tender" but they are a very professional shop.

Good Luck.

If others are wanting to snorkel in your group you can all go to Edan Rock Dive Shop - walking distance to the right of the tenders (can see dive flags from tender boat) and you can dive or snorkel free from their dock. (Check out their website - just google them) Scuba Gear rental is about $40 per person, they do have lockers, snorkel gear rental and if you want a guide you can pay extra. About 45 feet deep I think and lots of coral and fish. This way you could all stay together. Much cheaper and more personal. If you get a chance to scuba dive Sting Ray City though even through the boat (they haven't offered it in a while that I have seen but maybe yours does) it is well worth it even as one person diving as it is a 20 foot dive and you sit on the bpttom and the sting rays are all over you and you feed them. We did this once through the ship and it was great - I got bit though and man that hurts!!! My arm was bruised green and yellow as I pulled my shark skin off... :) :eek: They don't warn you about this.:rolleyes: But it was fun. It is more a group thing since it is so shallow so no buddy wouldn't be a problem. MAtter of fact I had to take care of one lady as she hadn't dove in a long time and forgot to put air in her BC so as she surfaced from jumping off the boat she was floundering and gasping air and I had to swim to her and push the bottun to fill her BC and the whole time the dive guide was on the boat just staring - what a jerk!! Debbie

We've just gotten home from our 2 week trip to dive Cayman on Aug 12th. It was our 5th dive trip to the island. I've used almost every dive operator on the island at this point ( with the exception of the far East guys, like Ocean Encounters ).

We actually booked 8 days of 2 tank dives through Don Fosters Dive. I loved them! Very friendly and absolutely the best sites..I'm back for 2 weeks next year and they'll probably see me again.

Now, when I'd show up to catch the boat in the morning, on cruise ship days, there would be two ( or sometimes three) boats going out. The "cruise-shippers" always went out first because they needed to get back first. I also believe ( heard this from a dive master ) that they are under Carnival contract to stay at sites with a max 60 foot depth. There are lots of great ones in GC, but you are missing the best of the best- Trinity Caves, Big Sand Chute, Northwest Wall...these are all 100 ft dives. I know that there were some folks FROM the ships that booked the dives with Don Fosters on their own, and they got to do the great dives that the on island folks did daily. We're taking the kids on the Valor in June- I'll be booking with Don Fosters but on the "on island boat". As I said before, we used them for 8 consecutive days, for 2 tank dives. We were always in by 1300.

Someone above mentioned Divers Down. I can personally say, I'd never use them again. I booked privately a dive for my DH and myself and our two children ( our youngest being a discover diver ) I paid over $500.00, and we were on a "cattle boat" with divers and snorkelers. There was NO extra attention given to my daughter and it ended up being very disappointing. Also, ( and I'm sure that it could have been just the day ) the dive masters on the boat were downright surly. I'll never use them again. ( I can say, I saw Don Fosters with discover divers on the 'island boat" and they were 100% better.

There are many, many other outfits, Red Sail, Eden Rock, Dive Tech just to name a few and they're all fine...

BTW, as of mid August the silversides were in Eden Rock in masse. It was an incredible WOW dive and is an easy walk from the pier. For a close and easy shore dive, it's not to be missed ( if they're still there )

Just my two cents...have fun! :)

Archived