Leaving cruise early

MiddleagedM

Does anyone know if it is possible to leave a cruise early. There are 4 of us in a FV balcony on the 13 nite to New England/Canada next month. One may have to leave the cruise a couple of days early. Would be leaving one of the US ports after already cvlearing customs. How does Celebrity handle this.... or is it even possible to legally do it?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes you can depart (end) the cruise early. I have done it twice. Once in Copenhagen and once in St. Kitts, both on the Constellation. I am also doing it again on Century this fall in Gibraltar. You just need to request it by sending an email to Guest Flight Operations at airseagfo@rccl.com

It can take a week to hear back. Make sure you say you want to end the cruise early and not just get off early as some people request getting off at the end at 5:00am etc. I had this problem where it took longer to hear back because I think my request was unclear.

You will need to include the following information on your email request:

Passenger names

Vessel name

Voyage date

Booking number

Cabin number

Location (port) to disembark

Date to disembark

The phone number to call in case you have any questions is 800-256-6649

You will need to give your passport to the reception desk the night before so they can clear you the next morning. This could take 15 - 20 minutes. It is wonderful getting off early as you can do it at your own leisure. Sometimes an extra sea day IMHO just isn't work it.

Annie is correct. So long as a passenger departs after the ship visits a foreign port, all should be OK. The alternative is to pay the fine that will be imposed by law, not the cruise line, for passengers boarding and leaving a non U.S.- flagged ship in the U.S. ,without having sailed to an appropriate non U.S. port.

Steph27 gave many more specifics than I could, and I'd follow up on that advice.

Note that under PSA there will be a $300 [think that's the right number] fine assessed against the cruise line and in turn passed thru to the passenger if you originated in one US port and disembark in another US port [assuming that the ship has not been to a distant foreign port; a trip to Canada would NOT involve a distant foreign port, so a PSA violation would occur]. There would be no fine if you disembarked in Canada.

There's also a huge difference between leaving a ship during a Med cruise and one that's in North America. You don't deal with PSA unless the ship starts/finishes in a US port and not in European ports.

There's also a big difference if someone HAS to leave the ship due to an emergency or illness. There's no penalty if it's an emergency, even if the PSA is in effect. We had to do that when mom broke her hip on Millennium

To the OP, all you can do is ask. But, I always wonder why take, and pay full fare for, a cruise you know you cannot complete? It's seems to me to be a waste of money, because the cruise line won't give your friends a price break just because they want to leave early. Please don't think me rude, but why not take a cruise that fits in their schedule?

Yes you can depart (end) the cruise early. I have done it twice. Once in Copenhagen and once in St. Kitts, both on the Constellation. I am also doing it again on Century this fall in Gibraltar. You just need to request it by sending an email to Guest Flight Operations at airseagfo@rccl.com

The question asked by the OP was to depart a round trip cruise in a "US port after clearing customs". Their cruise, as specified in his signature block is a round trip from NJ.

Neither Copenhagen nor St. Kitts became US ports that I know of, so your circumstances are not equal to his circumstances, and no, his friends can not leave early without the cruise line incurring a fine.

Even when someone ill departs early in a US port under the circumstances the law covers, then the cruise line is fined. They may or may not choose to pass the fine along to the passenger.

When the lines have had to shorten a cruise due to mechanical or weather circumstances, they are still subject to the fine. It may be waived but not usually.

I should have added more detail to make it less confusing.......

I booked the cruise over a year ago and have already made final payment. A work issue has come up that might require me to leave the cruise 2 days early (if it is possible without a lot of hassle) I was curious as to how to go about doing so.

Thanks for all of the responses, they were very helpful. It does appear that no matter what the process is... it is difficult to arrange without a lot of fanfare and possible extra cost. Just gives me more reason to NOT leave the cruise early. I'll just feel a little better now about blowing off the work issue!!! :D

Again,

Thanks to all resopnders.

Mike

You can request the early departure (end of your cruise) and decide later if you want to do it. You are not required to do it once it is requested. I am unfamiliar with disembarking in US ports but there should not be any extra cost. It was hassle free for us. Just some random thoughts.

a trip to Canada would NOT involve a distant foreign port, so a PSA violation would occur]. There would be no fine if you disembarked in Canada.

I don't think this is correct. Canada, on this intinerary, is the foreign port, else all the passengers would never be allowed off without a fine.

It works the same way in Canada for ships that depart from Seattle and then stop at Victoria either on the outbound or return from Alaska.

a trip to Canada would NOT involve a distant foreign port, so a PSA violation would occur]. There would be no fine if you disembarked in Canada.
I don't think this is correct. Canada, on this intinerary, is the foreign port, else all the passengers would never be allowed off without a fine.

It works the same way in Canada for ships that depart from Seattle and then stop at Victoria either on the outbound or return from Alaska.

PSA is a little more complicated than you make it out to be. Foreign flagged ships may travel ROUND TRIP from a US port IF they stop in ANY foreign port. To travel from one US port to another US port on a foreign flagged vessel requires a stop at a DISTANT foreign port [no ports in Canada or Mexico are defined as distant, and the only Caribbean ports that are distant are those just off the coast of South America (eg Aruba)]. PSA is NOT in effect if the port at either end of the trip is not in the US, hence one could disembark in Canada. Note that special rules apply to the US Virgin Islands and to Puerto Rico, and I am not addressing those here.

PSA is a little more complicated than you make it out to be. Foreign flagged ships may travel ROUND TRIP from a US port IF they stop in ANY foreign port. To travel from one US port to another US port on a foreign flagged vessel requires a stop at a DISTANT foreign port [no ports in Canada or Mexico are defined as distant, and the only Caribbean ports that are distant are those just off the coast of South America (eg Aruba)]. PSA is NOT in effect if the port at either end of the trip is not in the US, hence one could disembark in Canada. Note that special rules apply to the US Virgin Islands and to Puerto Rico, and I am not addressing those here.

Thom, You are correct and explained this better than any I have read. Thank you.

Archived