Darn Darn Darn -- 8/19/07 Carnival Valor Change

coofie

The Carnival Valor departing 8/19/07 from Miami is NO LONGER GOING to the Western Caribbean!!

We have been diverted as follows:

SUN 08/19/07 MIAMI 07:00AM 4:00PM

MON 08/20/07 NASSAU 07:00AM 2:00PM

TUE 08/21/07 AT SEA

WED 08/22/07 ST. THOMAS 09:00AM 6:00PM

THU 08/23/07 ST. MAARTEN 07:00AM 6:00PM

FRI 08/24/07 AT SEA

SAT 08/25/07 AT SEA

SUN 08/26/07 MIAMI 06:00AM

This TOTALLY sucks. The same exact thing happened to my family of 5 last year on the 8/26-9/2/06 Carnival Glory and we visited the same exact ports. This is RIDICULOUS -- there are other ports available to Carnival, but it appears they have once again taken the easy way out. Last year we got a big fat $25/pp cabin credit (they HAVE to give each passenger $20 for not replacing a port visit). Just got off the phone with a supervisor who told me Carnival is offering NO COMPENSATION!!!

This will be my LAST Carnival cruise if that is the case.

CALL TO COMPLAIN!!

Also, mostly all Carnival ships are being diverted, so if you are leaving within the next few days, call to check!

You are ruining your own vacation - you booked during hurricane season and what is wrong with St. Thomas and St. Maarten? I've been there several times and it's wonderful there.

I understand you are upset with the changes, but where is Carnival responsible for weather? They are bringing you on a cruise that you "should" enjoy.

Try to relax and enjoy your hard earned vacation.

Maybe you should stop planning cruises during prime hurricane season and go when the weather is more stable. What you would rather have them take you into the hurricane instead of keeping you safe by going to alternate ports? Yes there are other ports out there, but other ships are scheduled for them so they have to make arrangements based not only for keeping people out of harms way but also on availability, believe me you wouldn't want to be an any of these small islands with 20 other ships.

I know you are frustrated, but you take a big chance booking during hurricane season. I don't think it is that easy for them to change ports because they have to work around the other ships that were already going to the Western Caribbean ports, and the other cruise lines that also have to change their schedule.

It isn't much comfort to you, but you can't really blame the cruise line.

Sorry that you aren't happy now, but make the best of it:)

Kathy

You chose AGAIN to cruise in hurricane season and you are mad at CARNIVAL??? You have been switched to a great itinerary. They are limited to which ports they can go to, they can't just pick one. When a hurricane affects the western carib, they have to go to the Eastern, and there ARE other ships already there and they are having to accomodate ALOT of cruises. When you CHOOSE to cruise during hurricane season, this is the chance you take. Other cruise lines are doing the same thing. They don't have to give you ANYTHING! Try finding a cruise line that won't change itineraries when there is a hurricane...

Don't worry... we'll wait.

Never ceases to amaze me. I would be thrilled that the cruise wasn't cancelled. I guess they would rather sail smack into a hurricane so they don't miss their ports. Pick a different season to cruise then right smack in the middle of hurricane. Jeez

The Carnival Valor departing 8/19/07 from Miami is NO LONGER GOING to the Western Caribbean!!

TUE 08/21/07 AT SEA

FRI 08/24/07 AT SEA

SAT 08/25/07 AT SEA

This TOTALLY sucks. The same exact thing happened to my family of 5 last year on the 8/26-9/2/06 Carnival Glory and we visited the same exact ports. This is RIDICULOUS -- there are other ports available to Carnival, but it appears they have once again taken the easy way out. Last year we got a big fat $25/pp cabin credit (they HAVE to give each passenger $20 for not replacing a port visit). Just got off the phone with a supervisor who told me Carnival is offering NO COMPENSATION!!!

This will be my LAST Carnival cruise if that is the case.

CALL TO COMPLAIN!!

Also, mostly all Carnival ships are being diverted, so if you are leaving within the next few days, call to check!

:rolleyes:

*edited for content*:rolleyes:

Threads like these really get to me...for once why can't someone (first) concern be for the folks that might be impacted by the cane...Katirna, Rita or Wilma(?) and Mitch come to mind.

Consider yourself lucky...at least you'll be on a ship.

I just posted this to another thread, not in reply to anyone in particular - but here, let me post it as a direct reply to you and your absurd post.

I don't want to be melodramatic, but this whole "Dean drama" reminds me of the post-Katrina itinerary changes and cruise cancellations. I was evacuated from my house in NOLA for several weeks, the first weeks not knowing if we had homes or jobs to go back to, and hundreds of people here at Cruise Critic were complaining so bitterly about missing a port or having to rebook a cancelled cruise - you would think their lives had been completely ruined. There were a few times I sat at the computer and cried while reading the threads of people whining and outraged that "their vacation was ruined" because all I could think of was gee, my whole CITY is ruined - get over it! Then Wilma hit and again, while the people of Cozumel had to deal with the aftermath, cruisers were on here griping about not getting to go to the beach they wanted to go to.

Yes, we save up for these vacations, and we want them to go smoothly. But sometimes life gets in the way - especially when you sail during hurricane season! I think people need to realize that these storms can seriously impact people's lives - not just this month, but for years to come. If you end up missing a port, or having to go to a less desirable port, or even having your entire cruise cancelled - please try to keep things in perspective and just be thankful it was your cruise itinerary and not your HOME that was in the path of a dangerous storm.

This change in itinerary is something that is caused by the hurricane not because Carnival wants to ruin your vacation. I can understand being disappointed but the same can happen on any cruise line. At least you are still going south, a few years back there were Bermuda cruises that ended up in Canada. Nothing against Canada but the weather is totally different than Bermuda.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just where do you think the ship should go?. You mentioned that there were other ports it could go to.

Where are those ports? I'll give Carnival a call and tell them that there are new ports and they should know them.

REALLLLLLLLLLLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just posted this to another thread, not in reply to anyone in particular - but here, let me post it as a direct reply to you and your absurd post.

I don't want to be melodramatic, but this whole "Dean drama" reminds me of the post-Katrina itinerary changes and cruise cancellations. I was evacuated from my house in NOLA for several weeks, the first weeks not knowing if we had homes or jobs to go back to, and hundreds of people here at Cruise Critic were complaining so bitterly about missing a port or having to rebook a cancelled cruise - you would think their lives had been completely ruined. There were a few times I sat at the computer and cried while reading the threads of people whining and outraged that "their vacation was ruined" because all I could think of was gee, my whole CITY is ruined - get over it! Then Wilma hit and again, while the people of Cozumel had to deal with the aftermath, cruisers were on here griping about not getting to go to the beach they wanted to go to.

Yes, we save up for these vacations, and we want them to go smoothly. But sometimes life gets in the way - especially when you sail during hurricane season! I think people need to realize that these storms can seriously impact people's lives - not just this month, but for years to come. If you end up missing a port, or having to go to a less desirable port, or even having your entire cruise cancelled - please try to keep things in perspective and just be thankful it was your cruise itinerary and not your HOME that was in the path of a dangerous storm.

I remember that well Rowan. There are several posters here who basically lost EVERYTHING, struggled and moved on while some here complained about missing a POC.

Umm, well why did you book another cruise during hurricane season??

You are ruining your own vacation - you booked during hurricane season and what is wrong with St. Thomas and St. Maarten? I've been there several times and it's wonderful there.

I understand you are upset with the changes, but where is Carnival responsible for weather? They are bringing you on a cruise that you "should" enjoy.

Try to relax and enjoy your hard earned vacation.

1. Unfortunately due to schedule restrictions this time of year is my only option for a family vacation.

2. Am not, of course, blaming Carnival for the weather; only for the lack of compensation as this is my second year in a row being diverted to the same ports (3 only as opposed to 4 booked).

3. Have been to those islands SO many times (10-12) that there is nothing new for us to do. PLUS, my kids were supposed to do a school report on the ruins they were supposed to have visited in person.

I will have a good time; am just extremely disappointed and wanted to inform everyone else of the itinerary change, in case they had not yet heard.

There's not a thing wrong with those ports, I'm sure you'll have a great time. The same thing happened to me and instead of a port we spent days at sea. The vacation wasn't ruined and we had a wonderful time in calm, sunny seas. Sure, I would have liked to go to the ports I chose but I knew the risk going in. It was still a fantastic cruise.

Just where do you think the ship should go?. You mentioned that there were other ports it could go to.

Where are those ports? I'll give Carnival a call and tell them that there are new ports and they should know them.

REALLLLLLLLLLLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow -- chill out!!! My carnival agent told me of the other ports that other Carnival ships divert to.

Wow -- guess this will be the last time I bother to post on here -- was just venting AND sharing with my FELLOW Carnival Valor cruisers, which is what I thought these boards were for -- SHARING.

Thanks for correcting me!!

Coofie, please calm down. Carnival did not do this to you on purpose. The safety of their guests is their #1 priority, so they must reroute due to the hurricane. I am sure they are doing the best that they can to reroute your ship to other ports and given the short time frame that they have to do it in, I'd say they are doing OK, but that is just my opinion. If you go into it with an open mind, you will have a much better time on your vacation than if you spend the entire time angry. If you change your way of thinking to "Well, I'm still on vacation, I'm still in a tropical paradise and I'm still not at work." you will have a far better time than if you sit around sulking. There is a certain level of risk involved in planning a cruise during hurricane season. I understand your frustration in not being able to go to the ports you were looking forward to, but I hope you can set it aside for the most part and enjoy your cruise.

Wow -- chill out!!! My carnival agent told me of the other ports that other Carnival ships divert to.

Wow -- guess this will be the last time I bother to post on here -- was just venting AND sharing with my FELLOW Carnival Valor cruisers, which is what I thought these boards were for -- SHARING.

Thanks for correcting me!!

Coofie, the problem is that you posted that you would never cruise Carnival again because of the 2nd diversion. This is not Carnivals decision to make, they have 3k people to worry about and a million dollar asset to consider. We can all understand your disappointment, in fact my first cruise from Boston to Canada, never left the port! Was I disappointed, you bet, I cried the entire ride home but I called the agent and rebooked!

2. Am not, of course, blaming Carnival for the weather; only for the lack of compensation as this is my second year in a row being diverted to the same ports (3 only as opposed to 4 booked).

I don't think anyone should be compensated (unless the cruise was canceled altogether, of course) for choosing to sail during not only hurricane season but the prime part of the it. Anyone who makes the decision to cruise at this time of year knows the risks (or should) and live with the consequences. Since you are only hitting 3 ports not 4 you should be getting your port charges refunded but that is the most you should expect.

I know you think you were "just venting", but seriously... read your post again. You weren't being "informative"... my points are in red.

The Carnival Valor departing 8/19/07 from Miami is NO LONGER GOING to the Western Caribbean!! (failing to mention that it is because there is a hurricane that will be bearing down on the Western Caribbean)

TUE 08/21/07 AT SEA

FRI 08/24/07 AT SEA

SAT 08/25/07 AT SEA

This TOTALLY sucks. (true, but this happens during hurricane season) The same exact thing happened to my family of 5 last year on the 8/26-9/2/06 Carnival Glory and we visited the same exact ports (yet you chose to do it again at around the same time, knowing it could happen, they can't help where a hurricane hits) This is RIDICULOUS (again, it's a hurricane, what is ridiculous about it?? You haven't mentioned the "compensation issue" yet, only that it is ridiculous that there is a change in itinerary and it is the same as last year) -- there are other ports available to Carnival, (which ports?? Take into consideration ALL the cruiselines that are having to divert right now, and ALL the ships that were SUPPOSED to be going to the western carib, really... what choice did they have???) but it appears they have once again taken the easy way out. Last year we got a big fat $25/pp cabin credit (they HAVE to give each passenger $20 for not replacing a port visit). (um, no they don't, read your contract, they can change your itinerary at any time, and you are going to ports that are typically more expensive to visit) Just got off the phone with a supervisor who told me Carnival is offering NO COMPENSATION!!!

This will be my LAST Carnival cruise if that is the case. (just venting?? just making others aware??)

CALL TO COMPLAIN!! (again, just venting? Just making others aware of the change???)

Archived