Skateboards On Cruise Ships

vafamily5

Does he realize that cruise ships are actually on the ocean??? :p LOL!!! He'll get over it... he'll have so much fun he'll forget all about that skateboard!!!!

Yes, he knows this. He is 17 and I hope he grows up soon!!!

Yes, he knows this. He is 17 and I hope he grows up soon!!!

Hard to imagine that anyone would really think they could use a skateboard on a ship. But good for him that he's a physically active boy. Too many kids are couch potatoes.

Was he wanting it for touring in port? I'm not sure crowded tourist cities are the best place for skateboards. Did some of the port cities have prime skateboarding parks?

I do know how he feels. I really miss tennis when cruising. I keep thinking I'll just look up tennis clubs at every port, to get my fix in there.

My husband bought his skateboard on our last cruise (not to be used on board). When we stopped in Grand Cayman, he went to the Black Pearl Skate Park, which is the world's 2nd largest park. He had a blast! Brought his skateboard back on board with no problems and stored it away 'til we disembarked. So if your cruise has a stop in Grand Cayman, tell your son to bring his board!

OH YES! Ships are moving vessels on the sea. Skateboards would be a BIG NO NO! Don't dare let him bring it! Could get harmed. Be Safe! :):)

Wormfarmer

2/14/06 Fantasy 3 Day

Funny you should say BIG NO NO about skateboards on board, on Victory in April of this year we could have sworn that we heard someone rolling up and down the hall on a board! At first I thought I was hearing things until we were debarking and I saw a couple of kids with boards. As much as my kids love those things, they would have to leave them home.

My son just took his skateboard onboard in July. He also went to Black Pearl in Grand Cayman! It was awesome there and a great outing for an avid skater! He didn't have any problem bringing his skateboard onboard. There may be other port stops with skateparks as well. He knew beforehand that he wasn't going to be allowed to skate on the ship but I am sure he would have tried had we let him! He probably would have grinded on the side of the ship! LOL!:)

Was he wanting it for touring in port? I'm not sure crowded tourist cities are the best place for skateboards. Did some of the port cities have prime skateboarding parks?

I do know how he feels. I really miss tennis when cruising. I keep thinking I'll just look up tennis clubs at every port, to get my fix in there.

What ports are you going to? They may not have paved areas to even use a skateboard. :cool:

My son is about having a fit because he cannot take his skateboard on cruise. What is up with these kids and skateboards these days?

Good question, but he's YOUR kid, so why don't you ask him and report back here?

And if he's having that much of a fit, just leave his butt behind.

My son is about having a fit because he cannot take his skateboard on cruise. What is up with these kids and skateboards these days?

My step son loves his skateboard. He hates to go anywhere without it. But last year he had to leave it behind while we cruised. He was so busy I don't think he missed it for one minute.

OH YES! Ships are moving vessels on the sea. Skateboards would be a BIG NO NO! Don't dare let him bring it! Could get harmed. Be Safe! :):)

Wormfarmer

2/14/06 Fantasy 3 Day

I have no intent on him bringing it! NOWAY!! I am just having a hard time figuring out what the big deal is with skateboards these days. It seems everywhere I look there is a kid on a skateboard. I also see alot of kids skating in the weirdess places trying to make home video's

I've seen kids with those skate shoes already.....:( they just don't realize in a confined enviroment what can happen if they knock over an older person.

I hate to stifle kids.........but there is plenty of fun to be had.

Sometimes the questions here are scarey.

People taking DVD players, playstations, Wii, etc....

it's just a few days......

17 and having a fit? Leave him home. :p :p

Believe me, I told him that this morning. So did my husband. We told him that we did not want to hear about it anymore and if we did, we would have his grandfather (my husbands dad) come and stay with him while we were on our family vacation.

It is a little complicated. He is actually my step-son (but I treat him like my own). He just got off summer visitation with his birth mother. She is a pretty screwed up person and that is why my husband has custody. Usually it takes us a little while to "de-program" him after her visitation. The birth mother lives with her own mother and when she has visitation he stays at his grandmother's house since she does not have a job or a place to stay. When he visits "mom" and "grandma" it is all about him and whatever he wants he gets...no question asked!!! He just came back home yesterday and I am having to explain to him that this is a family vacation and we (me, hubby, two other teens) don't feel like sitting around watching him skateboard.

I actually encourage my son's skateboarding habit. Let me clarify- not onboard a ship. It is so much better than some other things that kids can be into and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If skateboarding is the worst thing this kid does, then, you have got it made. Pick on the bad stuff, not the stuff that keeps them out of trouble!

My husband bought his skateboard on our last cruise (not to be used on board). When we stopped in Grand Cayman, he went to the Black Pearl Skate Park, which is the world's 2nd largest park. He had a blast! Brought his skateboard back on board with no problems and stored it away 'til we disembarked. So if your cruise has a stop in Grand Cayman, tell your son to bring his board!

But please don't let him use it anywhere on the ship. Dangerous not only to your son but also to the other passengers.

This is copied from Carnivals policies:

Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board but may be brought on board for use in port, only:

Roller Blades/Skates

Snorkel Gear

Skateboards

Golf Clubs

Fishing Rods (packed)

Tennis Rackets

Kites (packed)

This should help with your "teenager".

Well you aren't going anywhere where he can really use it. If you were going to gc then I'd suggest doing as others did and stop at the skateboard park for him.

I see a lot of kids really enjoy skateboarding. To me, that's much better than them sitting around doing nothing.

On our family vacations, we always tried to do something that appealed to each of us. So that everyone had a special memory of their vacation. Now many times it meant we all enjoyed the same things, other times it didn't .but my boys suffered thru having to go to doll stores etc with their sister, just as she had to do things they enjoyed.

If you all had to stand around and watch him skateboard for an hour and that made him really really happy, is that so much of a hardship on the rest of you?

After all it is a family vacation and everyone in the family should get to do something they really enjoy.

Tell him to try wakeboarding. It's as much fun as skateboarding. My sons surf and wakeboard. They also can skateboard, but it never was their thing.

You can probably rent the wakeboard at the beaches in nassau. He will definitely enjoy it, since in a way his skills on the skateboard will help him using the board on the water.

Archived