Hyatt Day passes...are they still available

maggieq

Bump.

When we went last year we took at taxi to the Hyatt and were turned away. They said they were at to full of capacity and not selling day passes. Strange because the beach and pool area were quite deserted. There were TONS of chairs.

I just received an email back from the concierge stating they are $25 for adults and $15 for children. I emailed back to see if there was a limit on how many they sell in a day.

Will advise as I hear.

Bump.

When we went last year we took at taxi to the Hyatt and were turned away. They said they were at to full of capacity and not selling day passes. Strange because the beach and pool area were quite deserted. There were TONS of chairs.

We now visit Grand Cayman for land vacations, and I'd imagine the reason the hotel turned away day passes is because their hotel was probably at capacity. The people staying at the hotel have prioroity over those showing up for a few hours...and they know that if they anger the ones who are staying there, they won't see them again.

I've noticed many of the places going to this now that there are so many ships in port...I think they're afraid to be "known" as having this available. They don't want tons of day-cruisers showing up and then have to turn them away.

One of the reasons we stay where we do (at a condo) is because their policy is to not allow cruisers to use their facilities. We're spending a fortune on the room, and we want to be able to use the pool and loungers whenever we want. We feel that they are making plenty of money off us, and if they want to boost their income by doing day-passes, we're out of there...and they know this, so they cater to the ones who are spending the most to use their facility. They'd have to sell a ton of day passes just to make the same amount of money they get from us for a weeks rent.

I just wish GC would stop allowing so many ships in port. This is the biggiest issue. If they did this, and there were less people looking for pools/food/chairs, I think you'd see more of these hotels going back to this, but when you've got 10 ships in port (during peak season), with the potental of 20,000 passengers getting off the ship, a couple of days a week, they probably are afraid to get back into doing this sort of thing. It's too bad...because this many people on the island makes it miserable for everyone.

We only go to GC during the winter, which is their peak season, so maybe they do offer day-passes during their slower cruise ship days...when there are only one or two visiting. I can see them doing that. Two ships is no big deal. Four to ten ships is too many.

A friend of mine has stayed at the Hyatt in Grand Cayman, and he mentioned that they have their own 9 hole golf course. They call it Cayman Ball. It is different from regular golf because the golf ball it is heavier and you can't hit it as far. He is an advid golfer and loves to play this course. Thought I'd share that if you like that sort of thing. Gabrielle

I have emailed the Hyatt but wondering if anyone has gone there recently and used the day passes.

Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing so I sent them an e-mail. I just heard back from them. Here is the info they sent me:

Yes we do offer day passes for cruise ship passengers it is US$25 per adult and $15

per child over the age of 10 years.

It include the use of the pool, chair, towel and beach day pass does not include

food.

CASH ONLY FOR DAY PASS!

Hyatt Concierge

Taneisha Wilson

Hope this helps!

We did the day pass thing at the Hyatt in February and I was really disappointed - would not do it again. First of all, I emailed them in advance and got all the particulars - just like the previous poster. Except, they didn't tell me it was Cash Only. I don't like to carry a lot of cash with me in port and we had stopped at Hell and the Turtle Farm first, so my cash was running low. (I still needed cab fare to get back to the pier.) It was quite a hullabaloo trying to buy the day pass with my credit card. Think about that for a minute - Hyatt is an international hotel chain. Guests that stay there for the week pay with credit cards, so why shouldn't I be able to pay for my day pass with a credit card? I think something shady is going on there. If you pay with a CC, they have to enter you into the computer and I'm sure corporate gets their cut. I suspect this is being done on the side.

Anyway, after that was taken care of, we made it to the pool area and found plenty of chairs. We ordered a bloody mary and 2 sodas and it came to something like $20. We stayed for a couple of hours and once we met up with DH who was SCUBA diving, we left. Never again.

We are going back to GC next year on another cruise and I won't do the Hyatt thing again. Just not worth it, IMHO.

If you do decide to go, bring lots of cash and be prepared to spend a lot for everything. Yes, I know GC is expensive, but the Hyatt is even more so.

Archived