RCI Mariner 8/26/07

roxannex

My husband and I are scheduled to go on the Mariner next week. We were scheduled to go to Labadee, Grand Cayman, Ochos Rios and Cozumel, but it's looking like that itinerary is going to change. We didn't really care about the ports, but I'm wondering what RCI will do. Would we just be rerouted to the Eastern Caribbean? Anybody have an idea?

I'm sorry the people in the Caribbean are going through this. :(

Thanks,

Roxanne

Hi,

We are also going to be on the Mariner on 8/26 and are wondering the same thing too. I guess everyone is pretty much wondering the same thing.

I have a feeling we may still go to Labadee??

Any experienced cruisers out there have any ideas?? :confused:

Maybe I'm a bit of an optimist... but after bouncing around to various weather websites I'm thinking we might get lucky.

Seems like the island of Hispaniola came thru OK, so that would make

Labadee OK to stop at. Dean appears to be going south of Jamaica,

so that might work out... There will undoubtably be damage.. but with

a bit of luck, not too much.

Grand Cayman and Cozumel... Who knows?

I may be just whistling in the dark... but I have a flashlight if I need it <g>.

(Side note , if you've not already signed up for the meet and mingle, feel

free to do so, the more the merrier... Great group of folks have been chatting

for months now, and everybody's welcome)

The eye is just south of the island. Have been reading posts at Stormcarib.com and am hoping that Ocho Rios is catching a bit

of a break. Mainly just trying to think positive... and hoping that

things work out for the best.

As mentioned previously, the southern region of Jamaica is getting the worst of the storm with winds of around 114 mph ... which is well off of the 145 that was forecast earlier. The report I read a few minutes ago indicated that a few roofs are off, there has been one landslide and lots of trees down on the southern side of the island. Having lived through hurricanes myself, I know that the worst can come afterwards, when the flooding hits.

That said, Ocho Rios is on the north side of the island and it may have been spared. Hispanola also didn't get hit as hard as was forecast. Now the Caymans and Cozumel may still be pummelled.

I suspect that those of you on next week's sailing may not know til you board where you are expected to land. Hope you all have a wonderful cruise, regardless of your ports. We're sailing in two weeks and I'm anxious as I have been told there is another wave off of Africa ...

I was just on the tripadvisor website and one post from someone staying at Couples Ocho Rios said the winds are very strong and the beach is almost all gone. There are tourists stuck there along with locals on the website that could probably give you a better idea of what's going on in Jamaica.

I hope everyone travelling now and in the next few weeks have the vacation they imagined and everyone is safe.

Hey guys me and my friends are also on that sailing. I am thinking we arent going to be rerouted, especially since the freedom left miami yesterday and didnt get re-routed and they are still doing their western itinerary.

We may end up with some extra sea days, especially around grand cayman if the waters are rocky we wont be able to tender. Looks like the hurricane is headed towards cancun and not cozumel, labadee didnt really get too much damage and we havent heard the reports yet on jamaica.

I just got an update. Called RCCL directly. At this point, they are not changing the itinerary of Freedom of the Seas, even for this week!! There are no planned changes for Mariner next week. It appears that we will make Labadee, and Ocho Rios. If it were Montego Bay, that would be a different story. However, I am not sure how well Cozumel is going to weather this storm. It is so very close to Cancun. Guess we'll have to wait and see! Grand Cayman will be a go as well. It just skirted Grand Cayman, so I for one feel pretty confident that we will make most of our planned ports.

Jean

Archived