Liberty/ Freedom/ Inde questions...

Can you help me please.

1. Are all the pools salt-water, still?

2. What's it like getting to ice skate?

3. Ditto re wave rider?

4. Is the food good, or just ok?

5. Is there really free icecream all day?

Thanks.

Lucy

(Aged 10)

The Independence, like her sisters Freedom and Liberty, will have freshwater pools.

There are periods set aside for passengers to ice skate. Otherwise, the rink is used for performances. The daily Compass lists the open skating times.

Same with the flow rider surfing area.

Depends on what you like. The ship is a bonanza for kids, all the stuff you love. Johnny Rockets, Burgers, Hot Dogs, Fries. Pig out buffets 18 hours a day.

Free ice cream in the buffet.

And then there is the golf course, the MALL, the spray pool where you can blast your parents if they get in the line of fire of the water cannons, the roller skating lanes, full court basketball, etc.

A kid's version of paradise, these 3 ships.:D

The Independence, like her sisters Freedom and Liberty, will have freshwater pools.

There are periods set aside for passengers to ice skate. Otherwise, the rink is used for performances. The daily Compass lists the open skating times.

Same with the flow rider surfing area.

Depends on what you like. The ship is a bonanza for kids, all the stuff you love. Johnny Rockets, Burgers, Hot Dogs, Fries. Pig out buffets 18 hours a day.

Free ice cream in the buffet.

And then there is the golf course, the MALL, the spray pool where you can blast your parents if they get in the line of fire of the water cannons, the roller skating lanes, full court basketball, etc.

A kid's version of paradise, these 3 ships.:D

Thanks you. Freshwater means not seawater, right?

Lucy,

1.) No, the pools are not salt-water.

2.) Ice skating was skating on real ice, during certain hours (always on sea days for our cruise), they did have lessons for anyone who was interested and signed up in advance. They have ice skates, knee pads, elbow pads wrist guards and helmets all available to borrow for free. The skates are fine, though if I had my own and was a serious skater, I'd consider bringing them with, but ONLY if driving to the port (you know, weight restrictions on the airlines;) ). The rink itself is half the size of a regular skating rink, maybe even smaller then that. We had fun skating with our kids, though. The motion of the ocean didn't affect us at all. The rink is in a room with some portholes above the rink itself, and was fun to look out and see the ocean waves as we went by!

3.) The flowrider was also very cool. However, there was an age or height restriction (I can't remember which??) for going on it. You also had to have your parent sign a waiver for you to go on it each and every day you go. (There's also a waiver for your parents to sign for skating and rock climbing, but that's good for the whole length of the cruise). Then you will get a bracelet to wear. They recommend that girls wear a t-shirt or a racer-back one piece swim suit to maintain modesty. Guys are suggested to tie swim trunks TIGHTLY! It was fun and exciting. Not as scary as I thought. Sometimes the fall (which is inevitable) can be hard. They will help you get started and help you up if you are surfing (stand-up), and I didn't do the knee boarding, but my husband said that it was a lot of fun and pretty easy, so they told you to do some tricks after a little while so that you would give someone else a try once you wipe out. It's all pretty cool. The best part is that they have a ship's photographer there to catch your moment, and believe me, sometimes it is just that, a moment!

4.) I think that you'll like the food. There is a decent variety available. What are your other food experiences? Have you been on other cruises before? What types of restaurants do you eat at when you are home? Then maybe I'll be better able to answer this question.

5.) Yes, there really is icecream available almost all day. There is a soft-serve available right by the pool, and that is open from 11 am until about midnight (and is free). THere is also a Ben and Jerry's if you happen to want to spend your money on that. I don't remember their hours.

I think you'll have a great time.

Laura

We are going on the Freedom on Sept 9th. ARe you serious that all the pools are freshwater? I would love that. I was always under the impression that the only freshwater ships were Disney and Princess:D

We were on the Freedom

Lurontravel has been on the Liberty.

Freshwater pools.

Lucy,

1.) No, the pools are not salt-water.

2.) Ice skating was skating on real ice, during certain hours (always on sea days for our cruise), they did have lessons for anyone who was interested and signed up in advance. They have ice skates, knee pads, elbow pads wrist guards and helmets all available to borrow for free. The skates are fine, though if I had my own and was a serious skater, I'd consider bringing them with, but ONLY if driving to the port (you know, weight restrictions on the airlines;) ). The rink itself is half the size of a regular skating rink, maybe even smaller then that. We had fun skating with our kids, though. The motion of the ocean didn't affect us at all. The rink is in a room with some portholes above the rink itself, and was fun to look out and see the ocean waves as we went by!

3.) The flowrider was also very cool. However, there was an age or height restriction (I can't remember which??) for going on it. You also had to have your parent sign a waiver for you to go on it each and every day you go. (There's also a waiver for your parents to sign for skating and rock climbing, but that's good for the whole length of the cruise). Then you will get a bracelet to wear. They recommend that girls wear a t-shirt or a racer-back one piece swim suit to maintain modesty. Guys are suggested to tie swim trunks TIGHTLY! It was fun and exciting. Not as scary as I thought. Sometimes the fall (which is inevitable) can be hard. They will help you get started and help you up if you are surfing (stand-up), and I didn't do the knee boarding, but my husband said that it was a lot of fun and pretty easy, so they told you to do some tricks after a little while so that you would give someone else a try once you wipe out. It's all pretty cool. The best part is that they have a ship's photographer there to catch your moment, and believe me, sometimes it is just that, a moment!

4.) I think that you'll like the food. There is a decent variety available. What are your other food experiences? Have you been on other cruises before? What types of restaurants do you eat at when you are home? Then maybe I'll be better able to answer this question.

5.) Yes, there really is icecream available almost all day. There is a soft-serve available right by the pool, and that is open from 11 am until about midnight (and is free). THere is also a Ben and Jerry's if you happen to want to spend your money on that. I don't remember their hours.

I think you'll have a great time.

Laura

Laura - Lucy's in bed. I'll tell her you replied. How kind.

Dad.

Correct, fresh water means not sea water or salt water.

I believe that I read that the freshwater pools on the Freedom clas ships are using a chlorination system for sanitation that is called a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. I have a similar system on my home swimming pool and it utilizes a small amount of salt dissolved in the water, which is converted into chlorine by electrolysis. The salt concentration that I maintain in my pool is between 2500 and 3000 ppm. It tastes slightly salty, but it does not burn your eyes. Salt solutions at that concentration are about equal to the saltiness of the tears from your eyes.

Archived